Will Eating Too Little Stall My Weight Loss

Options
Hello all,

This is day 3 on phentermine. I'm having a hard time eating more than 900 calories--which is amazing to come out of my mouth. On a regular day I could put down 2000-4000 calories without blinking. So, obviously the phenterimine is working. However, I'm concerned that eating this little may slow my metabolism, or cause a general slow down in my weight loss for other reasons.So, my question to each of you......does anyone else eat less than 1000 and continue to lose weight. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I'm 5'3', 150 lbs. My BMR, as calculated by my nutritionist is 1303/per day.

Replies

• Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You don't have much to lose to be in the healthy range as I am 5'4" and my goal is about 150. I would be leery of taking phentermine at that weight in the first place. I think I would want to hear from another doctor to be on the safe side. Generally, good doctors only prescribe phentermine for seriously overweight patients. Of course, I do not know your specifics, and I am not an M.D., so, there may be a really good reason for you to be on them even starting out at a relatively low weight.

Everything I have read and been told by doctors and other nutritional experts is that a woman should not go below 1200 calories per day as it becomes nearly impossible to get the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that your body needs to survive. I have heard of people landing themselves in the hospital by not heeding that advice. Another thing that can happen with super-restrictive (under 1200 calorie) diets is that your hair can start to fall out and your skin can become very dry.

Again, check with a dr or two and see what you should be eating, but I always stay above 1200 calories a day.

As for the reduced appetite, here is my experience...in the first few days, I had a ton of energy and was not hungry at all. After about a week, my energy levels dropped back to normal and my appetite started to increase. At this point, I have a normal appetite. Basically, the phentermine does just enough to allow me to stay in control instead of letting the food control me. It can be a very good tool, but like a saw, if you use it wrong, it can hurt you.

I wish you a wonderful journey.
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    I had two doctors write out scripts for me. i'm 5'3 and 145lbs. They know I struggle and put forth the effort.