zero noodles

Options
MrsAgi
MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
Bought some from Holland & Barrett on bogof, so not too expensive.... stir fried them tonight and gotta say, they are gonna be such a useful standby in my house from now on:)

Slightly rubbery texture, but I got used to it within just a couple of mouthfulls, and my autistic son happily ate them,so can't be too weird. I rinsed for about 30 secs, because I was starving when I started cooking, and cos I'm the most impatient cook in the world, and there was a slight hint of a bitter aftertaste imo,although hubby couldn't taste it.

The recommended portion size is 100g - which is not very much in my opinion. I have a big appetite, and was starving (did I already mention that lol?) so doubled it and had 200g,which was a big bowl full. For the extra 4 cals, it was worth it:) threw in plenty of veg,and a chicken breast and the whole meal didn't even hit 250 cals! It also only came in at 25 carbs, which is not too bad as hubby is type1 diabetic.

I am now feeling nicely full - hopefully it will last until bedtime!

Replies

• caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing I was looking at them today but haven't taken the plunge to buy yet. Worth a try I think!
  • ThatCatholicGirl
    ThatCatholicGirl Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I REALLY like these!!!! They are lovely with stir-fried veg and chicken!!

I also like the rice too. It's really, really lovely with vegetable soup and is super filling!
  • karenc118
    karenc118 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing, will give them a go :)
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    wow i must go look at them thanks
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    thanks for sharing, I was in H&B looking at those the other day and wondering what they were like, wonder if they'd suit with bolognese instead of 100g of pasta, hmmm better give em a bash I spose, I know 'they' say rice and pasta hugely calorific but until I started this I never really looked before and was horrified :noway:

I get all my frozen veges in iceland, mega good value for money! also discovered they do a pack of savoury rice which is well tasty :smile:

Glad we've got this group as I have no idea what most of the peeps are going on about in the other groups/forums, seems like USA people like highly flavoured food imo, they seem to use so many ingredients to make dinners and stuff.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    well i got the zero noodles today had them in skinny soup and wow what a fantastic find brilliant thank you thats the best tip ive had on here yet.
  • Lam75
    Lam75 Posts: 72
    Options
    Not heard of these. What are they made of?
  • Richard269
    Options
    Well just got some today . They are not cheep at £1.99 per pack ( 200 grams ) right now they are doing get 1 and an other half price .

Ingredients

Konnyaku, glaucomannan,Flour ( 3.8 % ) ,food grade calcium hydroxide ( 0.2 % ) ,water ( 96 % )

Serving size 100 g
    Calories 4
    Total fat 0.2 g
    Saturated fat nil
    Protein nil
    Carbohydrate 1.5 g
    Fibre 1.4 g
    Sugar nil
    Sodium nil

You can fry or boil them for 3 to 5 mins

Web site www.zeronoodles.com

Just had a pack and think they are ok !
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Konnyaku is a plant - a type of vegetable grown in Indonesia... It is described as a type of potato, although not sure if it really is part of the potato family.....

Its mostly non-digestable fibre, so just goes straight through the body, with virtually zero nutritional value. Has been eaten in Japan for centuries, and has been available on t'internet for several years as a "diet" food, but quite expensive, especially if you have to add in postage costs. H&B have only recently started stocking it, and I can cope with £2 for 4 portions when on BOGOF - I just buy LOTS whenever they have their penny sale)

Have only used as a noodle substitiute so far. H&B sell a "rice" version, whIch is the same stuff, cut up small to look like rice, and costs £2.50 for 200g. I might try cutting up my noodLes some time rather than pay the extra 50p lol My H&B say they are trying to get pasta shaped version too, which will be interesting to try....
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Last time I asked in my local H&B they weren't stocking them in store. Next time I'm out and about I'm going to have another lok.
  • EmilyGMcK
    EmilyGMcK Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    ooohhh I didnt realise H&B stock them, Guess where I am going on payday ;)
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've ordered some online. Should be good to bulk out meals on days when you need to eat a little less.
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I tried them tonight. Not bad!!
  • khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any recipes they would like to share I've just ordered these noodles thanks in advance x
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    They didn't have them in my local H&B when I checked last year, but did find them in a largish Chinese Supermarket.
    Think they're a bit cheaper there too (not 'zero' brand).

I use them anywhere pasta (including noodles, of course) would be. It's a bit odd for spag-bol, but still very eatable I find - especially as it means I can have twice as much and get a good bit more protein in for the same calories!
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Holland & Barrett had an offer of buy one and get the second at half price in stores only. I thought they were pretty good when I tried them though at the full price of £2 per pack a touch expensive.