Bicycle Pump

Options
cpaman87
cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
I need a new bicycle pump. A floor model with a gauge on it and fits presta valves. My first one was designed for basketballs and just wouldn't work. I bought one made by nishiki but I don't like it. It's too difficult to get the pump head on and off the valve stem. I saw a "joeblow" pump that looks nice. Anybody have any thoughts on bike pumps?

Replies

• johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    The JoeBlow ones are always highly rated, so I don't think you can go wrong there. Bicycling Magazine did a test of several pumps a while back and I took note of one that had a very large dial, but I cant remember the brand now. I could sure use a big dial with my 60 year old eyes! You might find the article online at bicycling.com.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I have a Joe Blow pump with Presta and Schrader two way adapter & it's perfect!

It will pump upto 160psi I believe (from memory, could be more...)
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    The latest one I am using is Lezyne CNC Track Pump, very happy with it. The design of its head almost guarantee a perfect connection with the valve, and it gets up to pressure easily. Easy to read the gauge too.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I have a Joe Blow pump with Presta and Schrader two way adapter & it's perfect!

It will pump upto 160psi I believe (from memory, could be more...)

Yep! I'm on the JoeBlow bandwagon too! 25 of your English pounds thank you very much! :wink:

Cloggsy, yeah I think it is 160, though I've never gone much above 110 I think...
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    another plus-one for the Hideous Yellow Joeblow trackpump...

Though if you're intending ridiing bikes for the next 50 years, and then passing the pump on to your kids/grandkids, get the SKS Renkompressor - there's a reason why they're pretty much standard equipment in every pro-tour mechanic's truck... Tough as a 50cent steak, and every single part of the pump is available as spares.

Also it'll push to 230psi in case you're thinking of riding the boards...
  • RiotMTB
    RiotMTB Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have the Topeak Joe Blow Turbo...very happy with it. Up to 160psi (11bar), and the gauge is at the top of the pump...easier for us old guys to see. :)
    And it has the smart head so will work on presta and Schraeder
  • cpaman87
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. It'll be nice to finally have a good pump.
  • beatpig
    beatpig Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just borrowed a JoeBlow Sport to pump up my new tyres - up to 120psi easy! Considering purchasing one myself!
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Always liked my Joe Blow Pro2 floor pump. Just got the Topeak Mega Morph folding travel floor pump to keep in my truck. Much better than playing around with a frame pump if I need to pump up a tire when I get to a ride.
  • cpaman87
    Options
    Just got the Topeak Mega Morph folding travel floor pump to keep in my truck.

Nice. I hadn't seen that one. I think that I will do the same.
  • cpaman87
    Options
    I picked up the joeblow sport II. It's great!
  • OLeoLionessO
    Options
    Is it okay to use air pumps at gas stations for filling up ur tires?
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Is it okay to use air pumps at gas stations for filling up ur tires?

It's better than nothing in a pinch, but it's not something I'd recommend.

Gas station pumps inflate tires VERY rapidly and you have no way of knowing when there is enough pressure in the tire. You run the risk of either not putting enough pressure (which increases your risk of pinch flats) or detonating the tube by overfilling it.
  • defragmenteur
    Options
    Car tires are inflated to 30-40 psi wich is not enough for most road bike tires. I inflate my 700x23mm tires to 120 psi.