New to MS

Options
weeble2008
weeble2008 Posts: 147 Member
I've not been officially diagnosed, but all arrows point directly to MS. I'm learning a lot, and trying to stay away from google! I've learned so much already from the National MS Society website and just picked up Multiple Sclerosis for Dummies from the library.
On February 23rd I was doing a walk/run on my treadmill and all of a sudden felt like my right leg just wasn't keeping up right. No pain, but something just didn't feel right so I stopped. From then on, my RLS got so bad it was 24/7 and I was going crazy just wanting to sleep! Thursday February 28th I went to my chiropractor with complaints of slight pain in my lower back and the RLS. He did a pretty rough adjustment on my which did nothing for the RLS, but the following afternoon both of my legs felt numb and tingly. Monday March 4th I went straight to my doctors office when they opened. I told him what happened and that I thought it was a pinched nerve. He did an x-ray and sent me home with ibuprofen. That Thursday, my legs were no better and the ibuprofen was making me sick, so I called and asked for different meds and requested an MRI. The receptionist told me that it was too late in the week and to call back on Monday. OMG!!! Over the weekend my right side and back started getting numb & tingly along with my legs. Monday morning finally rolled around and when I called the doctors office, I was told that they'd do the pre-authorization for an MRI but they couldn't give me any different meds until the doctor got the results and looked at them. I asked her how long it would take to get authorization and she told me 2 days. Not happening, so I called my Mom and she took me to the ER. They did a CT Scan and came back with degenerative disk disease and 2 bulging disks. The ER doctor gave me a prescription for vicodin and prednisone for one week. I didn't take much of the vicodin, but during that week of taking prednisone, I felt AWESOME!!! Not all of the numbness and tingling went away, but it did get a little better. I was going to the bathroom regularly, no headaches, and just felt all together good!
Went back to my doctor for a followup the next week and he got a great idea that I should go for an MRI (gee rocky!). Monday March 18th was the last day I took prednisone. Since then, my hands are constantly trembling, I've got a metallic taste in my mouth and nothing tastes right. I've also started having diarrhea with blood and just feel all together crappy. Went to a neurologist and he sent me for 3 more MRI's (brain, cervical & thoracic) and I follow up with him for the results on Monday March 25th.

From everything I've read and with my current and past symptoms, we're preparing for the MS diagnosis on Monday. My legs, back and side are still numb and tingly....will this go away?!

Replies

• sed1217
    sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am just adjusting to my diagnosis, so I'm new to all of this as well. But my best advice would be to wait until you get your MRI results back before even thinking or worrying about MS. MS symptoms mimic dozens of conditions. So take a deep breath and relax :-)

If your diagnosis turns out to be MS, just know that there are good medicines now to treat the condition and science is getting better daily. There are also great treatments for MS symptoms, both medical and holistic (some are as simple as targeted exercise). You will be ok. Just stay away from Google - that was my problem initially too!
  • AshleyRKnutson
    AshleyRKnutson Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I've had my official diagnosis a year ago (almost to the day). One of the best things you can do for yourself is to stay away from Google. My dr told me to forget everything I've read on the internet and all the negative that you can so easily find.

One more thing to remember, which has helped me tremendously, is that this is not the end, it's not a death wish and it's completely controllable. Make sure you've got a dr you trust completely, do what he/she says and you will be just fine. My personal mindset is "I'll be damned if this stupid disease is going to win...I think I'll do a 5K..". That is what I said while waiting for the official diagnosis and a month later, I did a 5K, which is something I hadn't done in a long time.

The people in this group are wonderful people and we are all here to help each other. Please keep your head up and smiling...YOU HAVE THE CONTROL HERE! :happy:

Good luck and I wish you the best. :smile:

-Ashley
  • AshleyRKnutson
    AshleyRKnutson Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am just adjusting to my diagnosis, so I'm new to all of this as well. But my best advice would be to wait until you get your MRI results back before even thinking or worrying about MS. MS symptoms mimic dozens of conditions. So take a deep breath and relax :-)

If your diagnosis turns out to be MS, just know that there are good medicines now to treat the condition and science is getting better daily. There are also great treatments for MS symptoms, both medical and holistic (some are as simple as targeted exercise). You will be ok. Just stay away from Google - that was my problem initially too!

I agree here completely. :smile:
  • Bbwnomore2
    Bbwnomore2 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    well the numbness and tingling may not go away but u do learn to live with it as sad as that sounds. At least in my case thats what has happened
  • weeble2008
    weeble2008 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the positive thoughts! I am staying away from google and patiently waiting for my appointment on Monday to hear what the neurologist has to say.

:)
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone about staying away from google. The National MS sites are great - monitored pretty closely for inaccurate information. You do need to wait for the diagnosis to be given and if it isn't MS then you might not know exactly what the problem is on Monday. It is better to have an accurate dx than a fast one.

The numbness is something that you will get used to - it may go away but it always comes back. :ohwell: You'll learn what triggers it for you and how to minimize the disruption to your life. Everyone has their own version of MS because the lesions are in different places for everyone. The best thing you can do right now is stay positive and don't let the idea of the disease control you. You might have MS but it doesn't need to control you.

Good luck on Monday - stay strong and positive. We are all here for you to help in whatever way we can - or just to listen if you want to rant.
  • c3js80
    c3js80 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi.

Saw your post and wanted to respond. I was diagnosed with MS when I was 35. I'm now 56 (yikes!). I'm sure you know that everyone has a different experience with MS, so I'll just tell you my story. My symptoms started with tingling in my left foot and over the course of a week spread up to my scalp. Only my left side was affected. My kids were little and I thought whatever it was would just go away. After a week, I went to the ER. I was given a CAT scan which showed nothing, then an MRI of the brain and also a spinal tap, both of which showed the MS plaques. After a week in the hospital on an IV drip of steroids (solumedrol) those symptoms went away as gradually as they had come on. I was left with weakness and pain in my legs and arms, but nothing I can't live with. There are things I can't do, but a heck of a lot than I can. I've recently begun lifting weights and it's made a big difference. Wishing you all the best.