When to change gender on MFP

Options
savethecat
savethecat Posts: 290 Member
So I've begun my transition from female to male in the sense that I am slowly coming out to friends and family and taking the steps necessary to begin HRT and saving money for my top surgery. I would like to change my gender on MFP but because I am still pre-everything I wasn't sure how that would impact my nutrition goals.

I'm assuming men can eat more calories and such.

I'm getting a bit tired of seeing that "female" marker pop up on my profile but I also want my fitness and nutrition goals to be accurate.

Any advice here?

Replies

• imfivebyfive
    Options
    You probably want to wait until you are on the hormones for a bit. Those will be the thing that actually effects metabolism. As for seeing the conflicting gender messages and markers, get used to it, that's part of the reality of being trans. I transitioned 10 years ago and I'm still hit with societies impressions on how I should look, think, act, and feel. Overcoming that is the hardest part. Good luck.
  • SnivyToast
    SnivyToast Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can custom set your goals, but change your gender marker. Just continue to use "female" when calculating your TDEE with different calculators until you start hormones.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    ive wondered about the gender thing, im intersexed and brought up female but i have both genes. odd one.
  • Prototyp
    Prototyp Posts: 4
    Options
    I would say change it whenever you damn well feel like it. As far as the nutrition goals, I agree to calculate them as "female" until you've been doing HRT for a while. As for the specific length of time, I'm not sure. Maybe a month? My appetite skyrocketed pretty quickly after starting HRT, so I assume your body will let you know when your metabolism has opened up.