Advice for a new runner!

Options
I just found this group and I must say, you all are intimidating! But I so very much want to be you someday! I have been short distance running for 7 or 8 years but am now seriously training for my very first 10k in 8 weeks. I am nervous I have set my goal too high (under 60 minutes) so I was wondering if any of you had any advice (besides getting good shoes :) to help me reach my goal. I am up to 5 miles in 1.5 hours. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Replies

• SarahRruns
    SarahRruns Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    First, I think running a 10K is great, and well done for training for it.
    The shoes are certainly the most important, also a very good sports bra helps a lot. And of course training :)

About the 'under one hour' goal. If you run 5 miles (8km) in 1.5 hours, that's 11.25 minutes per kilometer. That would be 1 hour and 53 minutes (if I do the maths correctly). You still have 8 weeks, but usually you don't increase your speed that fast.

I'd say, aim for an hour, but please don't be disappointed if it takes you longer. Completing a race is a wonderful feeling, and there's probably nothing more annoying than completing it, thinking "But I didn't reach my goal".

I hope this doesn't discourage you, because I didn't mean it like that. To increase your speed, you should do some short, fast runs, about once or twice a week. For example 3 minutes really fast, 3 minutes slow running, repeat about 3 times.
  • Jeremiah612
    Jeremiah612 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon has great training schedules for all distances and speeds I recommend checking it out online, it is free... I use his training schedules and they work great and have been proven....
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Arbitrary time goals can lead to disappointment, you need to set realistic goals based your training and current level of fitness.

Right now it sounds like you are running 15:00+ minute miles (maybe slower, as 5 miles in 90 mins = 18:00 miles).

A 1 hour 10K is going to require you to run ~ 9:38 per mile. I'm not sure you are going to be ready to do that in 8 weeks.

Bottom line, keep training, build your endurance and the speed will follow.

Good luck and have fun!
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    For your first race at this distance I wouldn't go into it with a time goal, your only goal should be just to finish. Enjoy the race, and then you can set some goals for your next race. Believe me there will be a next race.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    As others have said, focus on getting it done and feeling good. A good training program should have you doing speed intervals and hill work to strengthen your legs and cardiovascular system. If you aren't already, incorporate strength training; squats, lunges, plyometric jumps and planks. Most importantly, don't push yourself too hard as an injury may have you sidelined and that would suck for your first race!
  • Kelly_fat2fit30
    Options
    Awww!! Thank you guys so much for the great tips!!! I love them all, and *sigh* as disappointing as it seems now I think you all are right. I'm going to focus on the finish instead of the time. I ran a 5K about 18 months after I had my first child. The adrenaline rush was nearly that of actually having a child!! So yeah, I am confident this will not me my last 10K :) Thank you again! You all are SO inspiring!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Some great advice already! for your first race I would say just concentrate on getting it done! I wouldn't worry about the time now as you will only disappoint yourself if you don't make it. Make the distance first, the time comes much later.

As for feeling intimidated, don't be. We all had to start somewhere. Practice makes perfect!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    The important thing is at the end of the race you can look at yourself and say "I did my best". The time on the clock is inconsequential compared to that.
  • wanabefitter
    Options
    just enjoy the 10k, the time will be what it will be, use that as a target to beat for your next one.

Just enjoy the feeling of finishing:smile: