What is your daily schedule?

Options
MrsG31
MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
Hi all! I'm new to this group and fairly new to MFP. I'm a mom of 2, a 4.5 yr old girl and a 1.5 yr old boy. I work outside the home, as does hubby. I am really struggling to find the motivation to work out at home, but feel too guilty to join a gym not to mention how I would fit that in. So I was curious about other mom's and their schedules? How do you fit in time to work out?

My schedule goes like this:
Monday through Friday are pretty similar-
6:10am- Wake up, perhaps hitting snooze once...get myself dressed, pack my lunch and the kids snack bag for on the way home, decide on dinner, say by to hubby (leaves at 6:30ish), put some makeup on, get the kids up and dressed, and hopefully out the door by 7:10am. If it is a shower day, I wake up at 5:40am to do that.
8:am-4:30pm - at work (take 2 15 minute breaks and use those to walk around the complex weather permitting)
4:30pm- Leave work to pick up kids
5:15pm- Hopefully am arriving home; then straigtening up, starting a load of laundry or doing dishes, keeping the kids out of daddy's way while he cooks dinner
5:45pm-6:45pm - Depending how long dinner took to cook, we are sometimes done eating earlier than other days. Then, also depending on the day and how much (or if) she received, I sit and do homework with my daughter.
6:45pm-8pm - Play with kids, or other household things while kids watch TV, homework, cleaning, etc. Sometimes sit at computer and mess around on here or Facebook. Bath days we do that around 7:15pm
8pm- Get kids ready for bed, brush teeth, stories, bed. My son is usually down first by 8:10 or so, but the 4.5 yr takes her time as she is the Master Staller.
8:30pm-11pm - Watch our shows, maybe run out to the store, lead the 4.5 yr old back to her bed about 5 times
11pm - bed for us, sometimes that is earlier though.

Weekends are more of sitting around with the kids, playing, running errands, birthday parties, visiting family, church, cleaning/chores, shopping. I just started with the choir at church on Wednesday nights, but it is only temporary for Easter so after that it wil be over.

While writing this out I am starting to think maybe I should just shut myself in my room after dinner and work out, lol. But there is not a whole lot of room on there for that. Plus my mommy guilt kicks in and thinks that is unfair after working all day to not spend the few hours I have with them before they go to bed to actually BE with them. And I know they will stand at the door whining and crying to come in. Ugh, it is exhausting just thinking about it!

Replies

• CCarcharias
    Options
    I am a working mother with one 3 year old son. My husband is not working right now, but is a volunteer fireman and a student.

0400: Drag my *kitten* out of bed and work out. I have a treadmill and weight bench so morning workouts are done at home.
    0500: Shower and eat breakfast. To speed things up in the mornings, I pack my lunch the night before, have the clothes for me and my son picked out.
    0600: Wake up my son and husband.
    0620: Out the door, drop son off at daycare and am at work by 0645.
    0700-1100: HELL, have hated my job all 6 years I've worked there but I need the paycheck.
    1100-1200: Hour lunch and at my work we have a full gym so I do 20 min on treadmill and 20 min weight training. Clean up and get back to my desk, eat lunch at my desk.
    1600: RUN-knock over anyone between me and the exit. Pick up my son from daycare and am home by 1630.
    1700: Dinner. Let my son have 1 hour cartoon/Wii time while I do whatever chores are needed. Enter my food calories for the next day.
    2000: Put my son to bed and I follow shortly after.

Sometimes it sucks going to bed so early, I feel like I'm missing quality time with my husband but he understands and supports me. Something that helps, and I know most people wouldn't want to do this. But when I buy groceries, just to help with my calorie counting (since I don't have a fancy phone and can't use any apps) I cook in bulk Sunday night and eat the same exact meals Mon-Fri. Just makes it easier for me to plan the week, no last minute run to the pizza parlor cause I don't have anything prepared for dinner!
  • chelsie_1984
    chelsie_1984 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am a working mother of 3 kids. A 4 year old boy, 3 year old boy and 2 year old daughter
    4:00- 5:00 Get up, get showered, do hair and make up
    5:00-5:30 Pack lunch for the hubby and me. Prepare breakfast for both of us. Get the kids stuff ready for daycare/school
    5:30-5:45 My "me" time on the computer
    5:45-6:00 Wake up oldest son and hubby
    6:00-6:30 Get all three kids up with stuff in tote, get dressed, get hubby out the door
    6:30-7:30 Take two kids to mom/mother in laws house, take hubby to work, take oldest to school
    7:30-7:45 Commute to work, ahhhh quiet time :-)
    7:45-4:00 Work, work, work. Jack of all trades here at work.
    4:00-4:15 Drive to get son
    4:15-5:00 Go to pick up youngest children
    5:00-5:10 Drive home
    5:10-5:45 Slave over the stove, get dishes put away from last night, do dishes in the sink. Unpack bags from the day, keep kids from killing eachother and checking on the when they are too quiet.
    5:45-6:30 Dinner time with the kids, getting everyone to behave and eat is like a full job in itself (chaotic)
    6:30-7:00 Play time with the kids
    7:00-7:30 Bath time for the kiddos, nails cut, medicine time, brush teeth etc.
    7:30-8:30 Dishes again, pack bags for tomorrow, feed cat, do load of laundry. Sweep/mop/vacuum. Tidy up as much as possible
    8:30-9:30 Work out and quick rinse in the shower
    9:30-10:00 Spend some time talking with the hubby
    10:00 until I dooze off, catch up on my shows.

Tuesdays and Thursdays the schedule is way off because we have to go to the baseball field until 6:30 so bed time never comes soon enough on those night.
    Whew!
  • txsweetie82
    txsweetie82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Busy, lol

5 wake up - take shower - do hair - get kids up and ready for school
    7 drop off & go to gym
    8:30 leave for work
    9-6 work
    6:30 pick kids up
    7 go home & depending on the days: Kids soccer practice/games - tennis matches - baseball practice/games - football games etc.
  • shrinkinc
    shrinkinc Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have an almost 3 year old (in a month), a 4 mo old and I work full-time outside of the house.

On days I work out I get up at 4:50 AM. I run for 30 min or do resistance exercises. (I'm slowly working up to M-F).
    On days I don't work out I get up between 5:20 AM - 6 AM (depending on if I take a shower or not).
    6AM - 6:40 AM shower. Get myself ready. Get the baby ready (maybe nurse if he will, but he nurses 2 - 3 x's a night so a lot of the time he doesn't nurse before we leave). Get toddler up, potty, dressed. Field some amount of crying and screaming at me (toddler). Say good bye to daddy.
    Try to leave the house no later than 6:50 AM
    7:05 - 7:15 AM drop kids off at daycare and have a quick chat with her to update her on the night/morning.
    7:30 - 4:30 work. Hardly ever leave work because I use my hour lunch break divided up to pump 4 x's a day for 15 - 20 min(including set up and break down, actual pumping is about 10 min).
    4:45 - 4:50 pick up kids from daycare.
    5:05 - 5:15 get home (hubby works full-time too and is usually home around the same time).
    5:15 - 7 toddler watches tv, we try to throw some food togther (we are awful at preplanning this), I try to do 30 min of some type of cleaning, eat dinner
    6:30/7 tv off for good, toddler usually wants to paint, color, or play, transition to bath time.
    7:30 - 9 bath time, get toddler and baby ready for bed, books, etc. Toddler is master staller so hard to get this done before 9 pm most nights.
    9/9:30 nurse bab to sleep. I usually pass out in bed with the baby (we co-sleep).
    I try to be in bed by 10 pm at the latest.
    Between 9 - 10 I will sometimes try to work from home too.

Morning is the only time I can find to work out because it's to crazy in the evenings and I already miss most of my kids' day that even if we're just vegging in front of the tv for a little bit or my daughter is standing next to me at the sink while I wash dishes and the baby is sitting in his exersaucer - at least I'm there with them.
  • KWake1
    KWake1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have a 2.5 year old daughter and I both hubby and I work full time.
    7:00 - 7:30 Wake up, get myself ready for the day
    7:30 - 8:00 Get Daughter up, finish packing essentials for the day and leave for daycare drop off
    8:00 - 9:00 Daycare drop off and commute to work
    9:00 - 5:00 Work
    5:00 - 6:00 Commute home and daycare pick up
    6:00 - 6:30 Help hubby finish dinner, start a load of laundry, try to tidy something (although why I bother I'll never know!)
    6:30 - 7:00 Dinner
    7:00 - 8:00 Playtime with daughter, bath and bed are in there somewhere too
    8:00 - 8:30 Negotiations with daughter about when bedtime actually is. She's usually down for the night around 8:30
    8:30 - 9:00 Maybe a quick run if I have energy?
    9:00 - 10:00 Realize I never flipped the laundry and now I can't because we live in a condo and can't have the dryer on
    after late.Will have to re-wash them in the morning... I'll also spend time with hubby and watch some shows
    during this hour
    10:00 - 11:00 Shower/get ready for bed/read a book
    11:00 - 7:00 Sleep kind of. Getting up a few times to help the toddler find her blankets she rolled on top of, get a drink,
    go potty, fight off a monster...
  • marysinh
    marysinh Posts: 11
    Options
    Single mother of two boys. 8y/o and 2 y/o
    4am wake up and workout to Jillian Michaels dvds
    5am shower and get myself ready, eat
    6am get boys up and ready
    7am leave the house and drop the boys off
    8-5 work
    5:30 get my boys and spend the rest of the evening with them.
    9-10 be in bed and start over :-)
  • krystal193
    krystal193 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am an office manager with a 5 year old and I live with my boyfriend who is a truck driver. My days vary due to his alternating overnight work schedule and my new gyms daycare hours.

6:00am- Alarm goes off (Hit snooze button twice)
    6:20am- Wake up, prepare for the day
    7:10am- Leave the house
    7:30am- Drop son off at school
    8:07am- Arrive at work
    4:30pm- Leave work
    5:00pm- Pick up son from daycare
    (Tuesday, Wednesday,Thursday) 6:00pm- Arrive at gym for vigorus workout
    7:30pm- Get home, prep dinner, prep lunch for next day, help son with homework
    8:30pm Bathtime, bedtime
    8:45pm- Complete or begin my homework assignments, essays, or quizzes.
    11:50pm- Bedtime while watching DVR
  • kgeer31
    kgeer31 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you look at all you just wrote, you have a lot of spare time...if you have time to FB,watch shows,computer time, whatever, you have time to workout. It sounds like you have daddy help, too. You have to MAKE the time. It depends on what you plan on doing to workout, too. I know in our mommy brains we need to be with our families first, but no one will fault you for taking time for yourself to be a healthier, happier mom. I struggle very much with this and the best thing I have ever done was get a family membership to the YMCA. I wear me HR monitor in the pool while I'm throwing my 3y.o. around. They have babysitting on site. We even convinced another family to join too and we all take turns watching the kids and working out over the course of around an hr/1.5hr. It's like having your cake and eating it too! family time plus mommy time.
  • joyjay4fun
    joyjay4fun Posts: 160
    Options
    5AM wake up my teenage daughter who moves like a snail and needs 2 hours to be ready by 720
    6AM wake up, bath, hair/makeup, semi dressed
    630AM wake up toddler dress her and brush her teeth, hair is usually done on weekends
    645AM finish dressing, play around with kids
    7AM pack breakfast,snacks for the day before work
    715 Drop off mini me at daycare
    730-430 Work
    445PM Pick up mini me, drop her at home with big sis
    5PM Gym time
    6PM cooking dinner, kids time
    7-8PM Usually finish cooking/eating dinner
    8PM Clean up, time with kids before bed
    9PM getting kids to bed
    915-1000PM Strength training
    10PM usually my bedtime

This is of course until school starts back up in June for me, then Ill have to figure that one in there somewhere :-) forgot to add kiddos are 14 1/2 and 3 1/2 both girls.
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I do childcare out of my home. My husband works from home, too, as a minister at our church. We have 4 school aged children. This is our schedule.
    6:30 - husband up, showers, wakes kids, and starts trying to pry me away from my bed (I'm soooo not a morning person)
    7:00 - I'm up making lunches, kids eating breakfast, charges arriving, kids getting ready for school
    7:45/8 - kids leave to walk to school (at least they're getting some exercise!) I eat breakfast, get dressed, on computer while I drink my coffee.
    8:30 - 3 - Working, also trying to do some housework, laundry, meal prep, and usually fitting in a walk with my charges in tow, and sometimes husband joining us, often doing errands at the same time. (I'm very lucky to live in a village where all the basics are in walking distance.)
    3-5 - sometimes still working, if not spending time with my own kids, doing housework, making dinner, etc.
    5/5:30 - dinner
    6 - 8 or 9 or 10 - overseeing homework, music practice, bedtime, showers, cleaning up from dinner, prepping for the next day, etc.
    Anytime that's left is 'leisure time' reading or watching tv, or working out if I didn't get it in during the day.

It looks to me like your best bets for exercise would be to do something as a family during the after supper/before bedtime, or do something between 8:30 and 11pm, either with your hubby or on your own. We have an exercise bike in our family room, and hubby and I sometimes take turns on it while watching tv in the evenings (esp. in winter). Can you put your kids in stroller/s/wagon and go for a walk as a family after dinner? I run childcare out of my home, and my husband works from home as well. We put my charges in strollers, and go while our own 4 children are still at school. On days I only have one child here, we fight over who gets to push the stoller, and get the extra resistance! The bonus is that he and I get time together to chat about our day, etc.
  • mdamrow
    mdamrow Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    5:30 wake up and shower
    6:00 pack lunch, pick out toddlers clothes, get hubby and toddler up
    6:10 to 6:30 watch curious george and have breakfast with toddler
    6:30 get hubby and toddler off to daycare/work
    6:40 do hair, finish getting ready for work
    7:00 leave for work
    7:30-3:30 at work
    4:00 get home, workout (if feeling motivated), take sometime to myself
    5:00 start supper, greet hubby and toddler
    5:30-9 eat supper, play with toddler, talk with hubby, watch tv, etc.
    9:00 read two bedtime stories to toddler and go to bed.

I have a super clingy toddler. He's all about mommy so it doesn't leave much time for anything else when he's home. I try to enjoy it since I know he won't want me around forever. I just wish I had more motivation to get my groove on and workout everyday.
  • janehlansing
    Options
    5:46am get up. Feed the dog, feed the cats, find clothes for my daughter, give the dog medicine, get out all of my son's medicine for him to take when he gets home from school.
    6:10 shower
    6:30 wake son. pack hailey's lunch
    6:45 tell hailey to get clothes and find her school work.
    7am find something for me to eat
    7:10-7:30 take zak to school.
    7:30-8:15 drive to work. (52 miles)
    8:15-5:30 or 6.. depending if my cash drawer is off
    6:00-6:45 52miles home
    6:45 -7:00 check with the kids, maybe take z to kick boxing, make sure hailey is doing her homework and is fed.
    7:30-8:30try to throw laundry in .. maybe clean up the dishes, What ever i have time to do.
    8:30-9:00 pick up z from whatever it is he is doing that night.. and possible wait an additional 15-20 minutes because he is inconsiderate.
    9:20 arrive home.
    9:25 tuck daughter in
    10 go to bed.

It's horrible. It's the drive that is really cramping my style along with my son. I actually had his grandma take him yesterday and I got to take my daughter to choir practice and got to sing.

I am married. Daughter 8yrs old and son 15 . My husband does the dishes and makes dinner but that it is. He is useless.

Jane
  • jenlyons21
    jenlyons21 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello! Here is my daily schedule:
    5:30 am - wake up for work
    6:00 am - wake up my 18 month old and get him ready for daycare:
    6:15 am - leave the house
    6:30 am - drop off son at daycare
    7:00 am - work until 5:30 pm (mon- weds, and sat)
    6:00pm - come home to fiancé and son, give hugs and kisses to both then start straightening house up and starting dinner
    7:00 pm - serve dinner
    7:30 pm - clean after dinner, do dishes, vacuum, start laundry if needed while fiancé gives son a bath
    8:00 pm- try to spend time with family before bed
    10:00 pm - put son to bed and begin workout
    11:00 pm - shower
    11:30 pm - BED!

This is my schedule on days I work. On my off days pretty much the same just instead of leaving for work I go to the grocery store or run errands and my workout is more around the afternoon time. :)
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I am a working mom to 2 boys, a 2.5 year old and a 1 month old. I am currently home on maternity leave but when I go back to work my schedule will look something like this.

5:30 am- wake up
    5:30 am- 6:15 am- get ready for work
    6:15 am- wake up the boys
    6:30 am- breakfast
    7:00 am- Leave for work
    7:20 am- Drop off the boys
    8:00 am- 4:30 pm- Work
    (Lunch at 11:30-12:30- includes a 30 minute run and eating lunch after)
    4:30-5:00 pm- drive home
    5:00-6:00 pm- cook dinner
    6:00 pm- eat dinner
    6:00-7:00 pm- playtime with kids and dog
    7:00 pm- give kids a bath
    7:30 pm- Get kids ready for bath
    8:00 pm- put kids to bed
    8:30-10:00 pm- QT with DH/ TV time/ facebook time/ ME TIME
    10:00 pm- Go to bed

This is how things go on an IDEAL day but it is never quite so clean and perfect. Usually, by the time we are done cleaning up and taking care of the dog and actually get the boys down it is closer to 9 pm and unfortunately my bed time rarely comes at 10 pm but This is what I am striving for to keep some personal sanity.
  • Elpaw4mbv
    Elpaw4mbv Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have two sons (ages 10 and 7) and work full-time (40+ hours per week). My husband also works a morning shift (5am-1pm).

M-F on sports practice/game nights, Cub Scouts nights, my board meeting (PTA and baseball league), or my gym nights.
    5:45: First alarm goes off and if rested enough I will get up to work out on TreadClimber or do the Wiifit, if not…I tend to hit snooze til 6:15 (this is the norm - the exercise is the exception...)
    6:15-6:30: Get up, make coffee, and wake children
    6:30-6:50: Make breakfast for kids, drag children out of bed if they don’t get up on their own, put my breakfast and all lunches in lunchboxes (made the night before – just not packed)
    6:50-7:25: Get ready for work – Shower, make-up, dress - stopping frequently to ensure kids are getting dressed, brushing teeth, etc.
    7:25-7:30: Round up kids and leave to get kids to school
    7:30-8:30: Drop off kids, commute to work
    8:30-Noon: Work
    Noon-1:00pm: Lunch unless work is insane – if insane, I eat lunch at my desk while trying to deal with crisis du jour
    1:00-5:30: Work
    5:30-6:00: Commute to wherever it is that I need to be – get kids for practice, go to board meeting, meet personal trainer, etc.
    6:00-9:00: Do whatever it is that we are supposed to be doing (note – kids are fed by dad but we typically tag team for the activity unless it’s a board meeting or personal training night, then he hands them off to me when I get home)
    9:00–10:00: Home from whatever activity was planned then help hubby with getting kids ready for and in bed (if they aren’t already), homework reviewed by me and school stuff reviewed(hubby takes care of feeding kids and doing homework – I go through backpacks for notices, etc.), straighten up if not completely fried, do load of laundry, try to connect with husband before he turns in for the night.
    10:00-Midnight: Pay bills, catch up on the bazillion work related emails has sent me between the time I left work and when I have a moment to look at them, work on my delinquent novel before my publisher hunts me down for breach of contract, if I am not totally burned out on my computer from work – I might log onto FB or check out job boards to see if something better is out there, read or catch up on shows and/or try to catch the evening news to at least be aware of what is going on in the world around me.
    Midnight-5:45: Sleep then repeat

On the rare night that I don’t have to ferry kids to sports, or go to a board meeting, or the gym, the day follows the same schedule as above except after lunch it goes like this:
    1:00-6:30: Work
    6:30-7:00: Commute
    7:00-8:00: Eat dinner with family, clean up after dinner and spend time with family talking about our days, etc.
    8:00-9:00: Homework reviewed by me and school stuff reviewed, supervise baths and related stuff, put kids to bed.
    9:00-10:00: see above
    10:00-Midnight: see above
    Midnight-5:45: see above

Some nights – I am so fried I fall asleep on the foot of my youngest son’s bed or I go to sleep when my husband does at 10.

Weekends are pretty crazy with housework, yard work, sports, but I do manage to find at least a half hour on Saturday to exercise on the BowFlex at home and an hour to go to the gym on Sundays (hour and a half counting travel time).

My goal is to stop hitting the snooze alarm and get my butt out of bed each morning to do a half hour of something each and every morning during the week.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I am w working mom. I have 6 kids. I work nights so you could kind of flip flop our schedules.

10pm-6:30am work
    7am- 3ish sleep
    3pm oldest gets home from school- start supper
    4:30 The 5th & 6th graders get home - eat supper
    Mon-Wends-Fri 6:30 Take the kids to the park... Let the kids play while I walk on the path ( Or go to the bike path)
    Tues-Thurs 6:30 the pool opens at the gym.... Let the kids play until 8:00

You could get exercise by taking the kids out while hubby makes supper.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am up at 5:45- my 7 yr and a I get showered while my 11 yr old eats his breakfast. Then the boys get dressed and ready to go.
    7 a.m.- leave to take 11 yr to bus
    7:05-7:30- get the twins breakfast and on their bus
    7:30- eat breakfast
    8- at work until around 5-6
    noon- home for lunch-- do some dishes and laundry
    5-6- get the kids, cook dinner, throw a load of laundry in the washer
    6-8 play with kids, finish homework, do laundry (never ending)
    8- kids go to bed and I go to the YMCA about 8:15
    8:15-9:30-- YMCA time
    9:30-10:30-- fold and put away laundry
    10:30- go to bed.

On Saturday I go to the Y at 7a.m. b/c hubby is home but he isn't home during the week in the morning.