The Monsanto Protection Act

Options
In case anyone missed it, The Monsanto Protection Act was hidden in the Budget Resolution the Senate passed last week. Information on what this "protection act" means can be found here:

http://naturalsociety.com/senate-passes-monsanto-protection-act/

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Creepy sonsa*****es.
  • tklaing
    tklaing Posts: 20
    Options
    Was there any doubt that Monsanto was going to be able to "recklessly plant" experimental crops (and then of course sue the farmers whose land they infected with their poison ?)
    I had never even heard of the act until it just passed the other day … makes me sick.
  • busybee507
    Options
    It makes me sick as well. I've been keeping an eye on all this stuff and I finally said to my husband - What are we supposed to do? How can we prevent ourselves from eating/wearing this crap when they're now above the law? I shudder to think of the world our children and grandchildren will inherit. :noway:
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    This is really disturbing to me. It's ridiculous that we live in a time when we can't even guarantee that our food is safe.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You can easily avoid eating GMOs by making sure that any soy and corn products that you eat are certified organic. Canola oil is also made from a GMO crop, so if you eat canola oil and you want to avoid GMOs, get certified organic. Papayas are also often GM. There really are not very many types of GM crops. You don't need a label to take control over your food.

I don't care if my food is GM. I do not think it matters how my food came to have hybrid DNA in it. I eat organic because I care about pesticides and phosphate fertilizers, which contain hormone disruptors and radioactive elements, respectively.
  • cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I don't care if my food is GM. I do not think it matters how my food came to have hybrid DNA in it. I eat organic because I care about pesticides and phosphate fertilizers, which contain hormone disruptors and radioactive elements, respectively.

I used to think that too. What's the big deal about different genetics. But the problem with GM food, is that it can have higher concentrations of natural agents / proteins / whatever that can cause problems. For example, modern-day GM wheat is naturally resistant to bugs because it has two to three times more gluten (can't remember the exact amount). This is directly causing dramatic a rise in incidences of celiac disease and gluten sensitivities. Also, they are finding that a lot of today's modern (GM) foods have less nutrients than the foods our grandparents ate. And that is a big problem.