hand/wrist form on overhead press question

Options
lepanto
lepanto Posts: 28 Member
Hi all, I've been doing SL for a couple of weeks now, I'm only using the weight of the bar until I feel 100% comfortable with my form (I'm almost there). I have a question about hand/wrist position when doing the overhead press. In Medhi's video and another one I watched by Rippeteo it appears that the wrists are bent back somewhat and the backs of the hands don't form a straight line with the forearms. Anyone hold the bar differently, and is there any issue with holding it differently? I have been experiencing some forearm pain in my left arm and thought it might be due to the hand position, so I altered the position and now keep the backs of my hands in line with my forearms. I don't have pain when lifting in this position. I just wanted to know if there might be any problem altering in this way. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I think you might be over-thinking it - set the bar in the palm of your hand and wrap your hand around it however is comfortable for you.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Rippetoe is the master of near-perfect form, but even he concedes that there's variability. So if that's what's comfortable for you and doesn't contort your arm in any way and/or set you up for injury, then why not? You may need to adjust down the line as the weights are getting heavier, and that's fine too. Keep in mind that good form mostly has to do with risk reduction and the safest way to lift heavy things (including weights).
  • lepanto
    lepanto Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you both. Yes, I am an over-thinker in most things I do and this is no exception. In my younger years I was athletic, always played sports and had physically demanding employment. I am now just over 40 and feeling the effects of those years of activity, and I am heavier and more out of shape than I've ever been. I've had enough of that, so I'm doing something about it and in addition to dietary changes, SL is my exercise of choice. I find that things ache/strain a lot easier now than they used to, so I just want to make sure that I'm doing everything properly. I would be pretty bummed to have to take a break because I injured myself due to improper form! It makes sense to me to listen to what my body is telling me (and it is telling me it doesn't like me to position my wrists like that when doing overhead press), I just wanted to see if anyone might have a reason that I shouldn't place my hands as described. Thank you so much for your replies and for the other input you both have in this forum. I have learned a lot from you both!