Has Anyone adopted a gluten free lifestyle?

Options
I need to do more research on this but I was reading on PCOS Diva about adopting a Gluten Free Lifestyle to help with PCOS symptoms and fertility. I was thinking about trying it, I think since I try to stay away from Processed Carbs that I would not have to make a major change to my current diet. There may be a few things that I eat that have gluten in them. I am just curious if anyone eats gluten free and how they feel.

Replies

• kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    I've also been wanting to give gluten free a try, but I really don't see the difference between doing that and perhaps a paleo lifestyle. I know there are marketed foods for a gluten-free, but they look just as processed as everything else they're trying to replace. I'm not saying don't do it, but it might be worth looking at other options that are inherently gluten free.
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    Thanks for your input. If I do it I would still stay away from processed foods. I have been trying to eat very clean, I know that Gluten is in foods other than wheat foods, I need to learn what it all is in. I think some of the things I eat may have Gluten in them.
  • peachy_keen
    peachy_keen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have adopted an 80-90% GF lifestyle. It affects everyone differently, but in my case I started getting my period again (after a 1.5 year absence) two weeks after not eating gluten. It hasn't been a fluke so far--I've had my period two months in a row and around the same time. I'm hoping for month 3. In the past I'd tried Metformin and had been on birth control to regulate my cycle for a while (I stopped when the Pill made my period disappear completely).

Gluten and wheat proteins are in many foods, particularly soy sauce and many sauces and marinades. Anything that requires a thickener of some sort or that has fillers is a likely culprit. A good guide to GF-living is here: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/p/how-to-go-g-free.html.

I cook at home as often as possible making my own corn tortillas (Maseca corn flour has been a wonderful addition to my pantry for many foods!), the occasional treat of homemade GF banana bread, and focus on high-quality meats like bison, fish wild boar, and occasional commercial poultry, along with lots of vegetables. I'm not super sensitive that I have to avoid marinated items in a restaurant, but I do get bad headaches if I eat a few pieces of regular bread. It takes some advance planning and can make eating out a little annoying, but has been worth it for me. When in doubt, I can never go wrong with salad (no dressing) with cracked pepper and fresh lemon or oil and vinegar.

Giving up gluten is not a miracle and I did NOT lose any weight as a result but the swelling in my joints did diminish and I seem to be turning around my reproductive health. We'd love to have kids someday, so this has brought back some hope for me.
  • WifeofPJ
    Options
    Thanks for your imput. I'm not too worried about loosing weight as I have been loosing weight doing lower carb. I was reading up on the beneffits on the symptoms of PCOS and the imrovement of fertility and that would be why I would adjust. I had read that possibly 85% of women with PCOS have an intolerance to gluten.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten intolerant, with PCOS and I'm insulin resistant. I went the paleo route (someone suggested this above), as I have issues with dairy and need to manage my blood sugar as well.

Since I stopped eating sugars, grains, and all processed foods at the same time, it's hard to say what actually helped and what had no impact on my PCOS symptoms and other health issues, but all is going very well for me. I'm losing weight without too much trouble, periods are on a normal schedule, acne is GONE, arthritis is GONE, strange rashes, digestive problems, issues I've had with tendons (related to internal inflammation) are GONE. I sleep better, have better moods, lots of energy and motivation.

Regular exercise, and particularly strength training has made a huge difference in my symptoms as well.

I'm not on BC pills or any other prescription meds, for PCOS or otherwise.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    yes I have! I've been doing research for about a year and have found articles regarding women with PCOS. I think the article said 45+% were tested postitive for gluten sensitivity. So that on top of women with PCOS most likely also suffering from IR, cutting out simply carbs is a good thing to do. We can live without them and simply eat more fruits and vegetables. It is difficult to do but it is worth it. My PMS and TOM was a horror and now most of the time it completely sneaks up on me. My fogginess and moodiness has signifcantly decreased and I'm willing to be that if I tried to concieve right now I would have no problem getting pregnant as I have in the past. I'm still deciding whether or not to prove that theory. LOL! The paleo route is a great way to go. Ignore the fact that yes, it is a diet fad for most, and adopt it as a change in lifestyle and you will feel amazing. You can even go primal and include some dairy. My GI doctor said I will probably continue to struggle with dairy for the next year but to continue and eat yogurt. He said the lactose intolerance might go away once my gut has had some significant time to heal. I still eat cheese because it hasnt been an issue. Also, I've been learning that going gluten free might not relieve all your problems if you are over all grain intolerant. That means rice, corn, etc. Corn is an issue for me. Rice not so much. I would say, without exaggeration that going GF and Paleo has changed my life in the last six months. Especially with my issues with depression and my fibromyaglia.
  • WifeofPJ
    Options
    Thanks for your imput Lupercalia, and Micahroni84. I am thinking that I am going to try the Gluten Free, I already cut out the majority of simple carbs (During easter I have to have a little bit of my easter candy). So gonig Gluten Free won't be a huge change to my diet since January I have lost 31 pounds so I don't need it for weight loss but just need it for feeling better I saw that when some women went glutin free their Reflux got better (I have Reflux), and their Fertility improved (I'm trying to Concieve) but with the mention of Tendon issues really caught my eye because I have had issues with my acilli's tendon in the past when I am running or walking a lot. Never thought that could be due to Gluten! Always thougt it was from the way I run. I do exercise a lot so no changes need to be made there.

Thank you So much for the information I think after easter I am going to have to start changing my diet to a gluten free diet. I did read that it is harder for us because we need to watch our sugar intake but I do try to eat as clean as I can so I think it should make it a little easier. I will have to replace a few of my grains with other grains but maybe I will have to start cooking with wild and brown rice more again.
  • WifeofPJ
    Options
    Oh and I agree that we have to ignore the "Fad Diet" to some of the Fad Diets out there like the paleo and low carb diets because we have different nutritional needs than others, and they can tend to be the lifestyles we need. I really try to stay off of the regular message boards for that purpose. Have found that the PCOS message board is very helpful getting tips for others in the same situation.
  • birdiephd77
    Options
    This has been a topic I have been wrestling with. I am happy to read everyone's stories. I suffer from horrible migraines and I have seen studies linking PCOS and migraines to gluten. I would like to give it a try, but need to see if I can get hubby on board. It would be so much easier to have his support.

Is there any benefit from simply limiting gluten or does it have to be all or nothing?
  • WifeofPJ
    Options
    This has been a topic I have been wrestling with. I am happy to read everyone's stories. I suffer from horrible migraines and I have seen studies linking PCOS and migraines to gluten. I would like to give it a try, but need to see if I can get hubby on board. It would be so much easier to have his support.

Is there any benefit from simply limiting gluten or does it have to be all or nothing?

Birdiephd77 I just found this listing on line for Gluten Free foods. Thought I'd share.

http://www.publix.com/managed_pdfs/GlutenFree10117.108335384.pdf
  • happierandstronger
    Options
    From my understanding of a gluten free diet I would only adopt it if you have have a sensitivity or an intolerance (like celiac disease). There is all this hype around about gluten being bad for you but in actual fact gluten is a protein so cutting that from your diet also means cutting protein. Aside from that if you go gluten free after some time your body will find it much harder to process gluten if you decide to give that lifestyle up. They call this non celiac sensativity. I've included a link below for you to read. I realise that as PCOS suffers (I hate using the word suffer but really can't think of a better one atm) we need to modify our diets but my advice would be that unless a doctor has official diagnosed as having a sensitivity or being celiac I wouldn't go down that path. Someone suggested a Paleo diet which I believe would be a much better option however I would personally still involve dairy to some degree just for the calcium (whether it just be milk or even yogurt nothing too processed like some cheeses).

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/gluten-free-diet

I hope this helps
  • WifeofPJ
    Options
    @lovelivelaugh, Thank you for your imput. I really do apretiate you posting your opinion, and providing me with an article against it. I will definatly read it in helps to make my decision.
  • WifeofPJ
    Options
    @lovelivelaugh, Thank you for your imput. I really do apretiate you posting your opinion, and providing me with an article against it. I will definatly read it in helps to make my decision.

Sorry for the poorly constructed sentance.