Books

Options
Sara13CH
Sara13CH Posts: 85 Member
I wanted to share some books I found to be benifical with on this journey of recovering from emotional/binge eating:

*50 ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food by Susan Albers PsyD

*End Emotional Eating: Using Dialectal Behavior Therapy Skills to Cope with Difficult Emotions and Develop a Healthy Relationship With Food by Jennifer Taitz PsyD

*The Binge Eating and Compulsive Overeating Workbook: An Intergrated Approach to Overcoming Disordered Eating by Carolyn Ross

*Eating in the Moment: 141 Mindful Practices to Overcome Overeating One Meal at a Time by Pavel G. Somov, PH.d

*Breaking Free from Emotional Eating by Geneen Roth (All her books are great!)

*The Food and Feelings Workbook: A full Course Meal on Emotional Health by Karen R. Koenig

*Eating in the Light of the Moon: How Women Can Transform Their Relationship with Food through Myths, Metaphors and Storytelling by Anita A. Johnston Phd

*The rules of "Normal" Eating: A Commonsense Approach for Dieters, Over-eaters, Under eaters, Emotional Eaters and Everyone in Between by Karen R. Koenig, LICSW, M.ED.

* The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite By David A Kessler, MD

*Weight Loss For People who Feel too Much by Collete Baron-Reid

*Goodbye ED, Hello Me: Recover from Your Eating Disorder and Fall in Love with LIfe by Jenni Schaefer

Its A LOT, I know. I have been really working on this for a while now. I have found that going to support groups beneficial for me as well. Knowing that I am not alone has been helpful.

How about anyone else? Any good reads that have helped them find other ways to cope with out using food? What tools do you use?

Replies

• PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the list.... I'll need to see what my local library has available.
  • GWest1967
    Options
    I think I have concentrated more on the "learn to eat a healthy diet" type of books (like Dr. Phil, Atkins, Mark Hyman), but I remember reading Doreen Virtue's "Losing Your Pounds of Pain" and being absolutely blown away. Of course, it is an intense read. She makes some links between overeating and sexual abuse/trauma which were uncomfortable to read for me, but I think it was an important wake-up call. So I'd recommend that!

The "Eating in the Light of the Moon" book looks particularly interesting...
  • SpenceandAubsMom
    Options
    If you are looking for a Christian perspective, I've been working through the Made To Crave book and workbook by Lysa Terkeurst. It is a great resource for the biblical approach to overcoming food issues by replacing the position food has in your life with God. This is huge for me because I often turn to food before taking time to pray, think, or process any emotions or even just the situation. I am taking my time going through the book and really giving it my best effort to do the work to end up on the other side victorious! If you are interested in learning more, I recommend going to www.madetocrave.org where you can sign up for free devotions to come to your email to give you an idea of what is in the book.
  • susanjean62
    susanjean62 Posts: 200
    Options
    Thanks for this list. Trying to get through foods and feelings,but it takes time and commitment.I have started Leslie Sansone's 5 really big miles dvd,and I am amazed,in just 2 days of doing it,how much better I feel. Not so focused on food..
  • susanjean62
    Options
    I love your feedback.Doing the food and feelings workbook,has brought back some intense feelings,but she also teaches how to lower that intensity.
  • susanjean62
    Options
    I appreciate all these great tips.We can share,encourage and love. I believe this has to be a very personal journey for each person,and what ever works for you,as an individual,is wonderful.A big hurdle for me,has been that my feelings have not been validated,and were not,when I was a child. I am now realizing how important it is to acknowledge what you are feeling,and know it's ok to feel our emotions. I will look at the site you mentioned. Thanks.
  • Aboele79
    Aboele79 Posts: 40
    Options
    thank you for taking the time to do this list . looking forward to checking some of them out :D
  • pasofan
    pasofan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I too have been doing Leslie Sansone !! She has a book called Walking the Walk- Getting Fit With Faith
  • ladypinktulip
    ladypinktulip Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that list!!!!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    thanks for the list of books. I read David Kesslers the end of overeating. Very good.