wanting to homeschool -again.

Options
Mhaney
Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
Hi everyone, sorry for missed letters in this post but I need a new keyboard.

I homeschooled my oldest (girl) for most of 3rd grade last year due to issues at the public school through a k12 charter. I missed 3 weeks due to a massive kidney stone that required 2 surgeries so they kept threatening to kick us out. She wanted to go back to regular school and honestly I was okay with because I didn't like k12 that much. This time I will be doing it on my own, registered as a private school with the board. My son has been having this kid pick on him for months, the kid got suspended for a few weeks off the bus but is back this week. Today after punching and slapping my son, my son finally snapped and punched the punk in the throat. He is one of the youngest green belts that our instructors ever had.

I want to homeschool again, but have no idea about curriculums at all. I was looking at My Father's World and I like what I see, but wanted some real-experience opinions about it and other publishers. Thanks for everything.

Replies

• calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I live in Tennessee and homeschooled my oldest up until 4th grade through Gateway Christian Schools where I had the option to either use their curriculum or make up my own. I decided to use my own so for curriculum materials, I used a store here called The Knowledge Tree. Here are some great publishers that you may be able to find for covering Math, Social Studies, and Science. I'm sure that these same publishers cover Lang. Arts also, but I couldn't find the textbook for that as I gave some away last year.

1. Mark Twain Media/Carson-Dellosa Publishing Co, Inc.
    2. Teacher Created Resources, Inc.
    3. Steck-Vaughn School Supply
    4. Didax, Inc.

You can either call them at 1-800-331-0994 or go to www.theknowledgetree.com.

The books that I bought were individuals but I'm sure that you can find some 'sets' also. It would be a good idea to have your lesson plans already in mind before making orders because they have some of everything and I think that the sets that they do provide are only for a single subject and only go to certain grades as opposed to the individual books ranging up to higher grades.

However, this method of schooling became rather expensive for me although it was well worth it. I now have my 12-year-old and my 6-year-old in the k12 program and I love the curriculum, but it is on a home-based program. (We have never done brick and mortar)... I don't know if your state allows Virtual Academies (Ours is TNVA), but this works really well for us as the kids get to interact with teachers and students online in the safety of our home. They get to meet their classmates on outings and at TCAP testing which will be required if you enroll under Public. The Virtual Academy also sends all textbooks, teacher guides, science and art projects and also computers if you qualify. (You probably will because you have more than one student.)

The fact that I enrolled my kids under 'Public Schools' enables us to not be required to pay for any of the resources, but there are other programs such as Private or Homeschool where you can still stay at home but will be paying for the courses etc..

Anyway, I hope that I have helped in some way, and good luck on whatever you choose to do...

Homeschooling moms ROCK!!!:drinker:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Some good resources that I have found are Apologia Science and Teaching Textbooks for Math. I like Easy Grammer with the Daily Gram books. We also love everything with the Critical Thinking Co. Another favorite is WriteatHome.

Consider some online virtual classroom type things as they get older. For our older kids they have been invaluable.

Best of luck!

D
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    We used Calvert from 2nd grade thru 8th and she got into honors/ap classes in a distance learning high school. Calvert is great if your child learns well with a structured curriculum. They were cohesive and each year built on the last with lots of interesting classes, like art appreciation classes featuring sculpture or painting. Pre algebra and music classes were also included.

There are many ways to homeschool, just need to figure out which one works the best for your children. I never recommend the K12 virtual academy online unless the parent really just wants to keep their kids home but not be involved with schooling at all. They are very picky about attendence at certain times/days/hours and less lenient as far as the childs learning abilites are concerned.