Baby monitors? Yea or Nay?

Options
VelociMama
VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
Our son is 8 weeks old, and he's starting to sleep a lot more at night. We are thinking of moving him to his crib at night so he gets used to sleeping in his room on his own, and we haven't bought a monitor yet.

Do you find them useful or did you just not bother with them? We don't have one yet, and I'm not sure if we should get one or not.

Replies

• Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    We have an AngelCare monitor.

I love it because I can see and hear Max. I can hear him fussing around or breathing so I know he's alive. I like the video because I can see if he has wiggled himself into a strange position or if his arms or legs are stuck out of the crib. Plus, if he is breathing really quietly, I can see his chest rising up and down or see his head move around. I'm the type who would end up walking to his room to double check if things were too quiet.

I also use it if I put him on the floor to play in his room while I get dressed or start dinner or get some housework done. A monitor makes it easier for me to leave him on his own.

But - we have never used the mattress sensor pad that tells you if baby stops moving or breathing. I don't think this feature is necessary.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I am very pro video monitors because you can check on your baby without actually going in there and possibly disturbing them. Plus when they decide to start sleeping on their stomach, you can watch them like a hawk (until you chill out and realize that if they have the strength to roll over, they have the strength to pick up their head and move it if they can't breathe well).

HOWEVER, video monitors are mega pricey, and each one had its own issues. We have the Summer Infant Slim and Secure one and, while the video and sound are great, the receiver acts up.* When I checked reviews, others had different issues with the receiver, and replacements also had issues. Other models and brands had their own issues as well.

*Mine would say "No Signal" randomly (with no audible warning that it had no signal, which would be useful if you are sleeping), which required a restart. Now that ours is 2+ years old, it won't charge anymore, so it has to be plugged in constantly, which is really annoying. One of my dogs knocked it over last week, and it started charging again (yay!), but that only lasted a couple of days (boo).

Aaaanyway, now that our son is moving to his new room with a big boy bed, we are considering our options. It seems silly to spend another $100 or so on an additional camera for a receiver that is having its own issues. My husband picked up a random camera at Best Buy for about $80, but after messing with it for literally four hours, he couldn't get it to work. He returned it, and we are still considering our options.

I found this blog post, which helps answer the video vs audio question as well as helps you get set up with a wireless IP camera to use with your smartphone for less than $100 for the whole setup: http://www.joyfulabode.com/2011/11/01/baby-monitor-for-iphone-best-easiest-cheapest-how-do/

Also, we have never used the motion sensor pad, either. I've heard they generally have a lot of false alarms, which wake up you and your baby :(

ETA that I mean you can check on your baby without actually going in there if s/he is making noise but is actually ok. Obviously if s/he needs a diaper change or something, that's a different story. Sometimes I wish the monitor had smell-o-vision!
  • lisa799
    lisa799 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    We cosleep but I love having one for times when we're not in bed with him - such as when he's napping during the day or when he goes to bed at 9 but we want to be downstairs for a few hours after. It's definitely a good reassurance for me & I love that I can hear the second he's waking up or moving around.

If he was sleeping in his own bed more (we planned on transitioning him into the crib at 6 months but he's 10 months now and he's still in our room, lol), I would definitely have wanted one of the Angelcare monitors or a video monitor.
  • kerrbear79
    kerrbear79 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Very useful. I agree with what everyone else has said and all the reasons for having one. Completely worth getting one!
    There have been a few times when Kingston has come out of his swaddle and the blanket is completely covering his face because of his thrashing around. If I didn't have the monitor I wouldn't have known to go in there and move it back down.
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yea- also VERY useful in the summer time, if you'd like to be outside gardening/playing with an older child etc....I don't have anything super expensive, just a run-of-the-mill monitor, but it works great for what we need!
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    We also have the Angle Care monitor and it was worth every single penny!! It gives me such peace of mind. Plus, we have really put it to use b/c we used it for both our boys. To save a little money we did not get the video option but I am fine with that. The fact that I can hear him and that it has the motion and temperature sensor is plenty for me.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I just bought a regular monitor before my Isabella was born... Still couldn't sleap peacefully. I just broke down and bought the Angelcare monitor, hoping the sensor pad and video monitor will give me some rest.
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I think a monitor is totally useful. You can get a cheap one for under $20.

Personally, I have a motorola video monitor. It's super pricey but that was the one splurge I allowed myself with the baby. We paid $279 for 2 cameras and 1 monitor. The cameras zoom and scan, play music, have night vision and work really well. We were going to get just the one camera but we travel a bunch and love to be in the basement and outside. We leave one permanently in her crib and the other is our mobile one. We take it with us when we travel or set it up in the living room if she falls asleep in her swing and we want to go downstairs or outside.

I really love the video aspect of it. It's nice as a new mom to see what your baby is doing, make sure they are breathing and in a comfy position. I love watching my babe sleep and now that we're putting her down awake, it's nice to see if she's actually going to sleep right away or fussing a bunch before falling asleep. You can turn the video function off and use it just as an audio monitor too. It also lights up if you want to turn the sound off.

Long story short, do I think you need a monitor? Yes. Do I think you need a video monitor? No, but they're really nice to have.
  • CaliSteph
    CaliSteph Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yea for baby monitor. Gives you such peace of mind.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Just a heads-up for keeping the video monitor cords (the camera portion) away from the crib and, preferably, tacked to the wall so that your baby cannot strangle him/herself with it. Keep in mind that as your baby grows, what used to be out of his/her reach may not be anymore. The recommendation is to have the cord at least six feet outside of the baby's reach at all times.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/11/us-recalls-baby-monitors-idUSTRE71A7K820110211

My sister works in aviation law, and she frequently deals with the guy whose 10-month-old little girl is mentioned in the article above. He's kind of leading the charge for awareness of the risk of strangulation.
  • lisa799
    lisa799 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Just a heads-up for keeping the video monitor cords (the camera portion) away from the crib and, preferably, tacked to the wall so that your baby cannot strangle him/herself with it. Keep in mind that as your baby grows, what used to be out of his/her reach may not be anymore. The recommendation is to have the cord at least six feet outside of the baby's reach at all times.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/11/us-recalls-baby-monitors-idUSTRE71A7K820110211

My sister works in aviation law, and she frequently deals with the guy whose 10-month-old little girl is mentioned in the article above. He's kind of leading the charge for awareness of the risk of strangulation.
    Thanks for the heads up/reminder!
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    We have just a regular ol monitor as we don't need anything more, Jax sleeps in our room at night and naps in his swing in the living room where I'm at during the day (hubs works nights/sleeps days) but it is nice for when I'm not ready to go to bed after I put him down or when I need to go outside for something while he naps. :)
  • GinE73
    GinE73 Posts: 68
    Options
    Yay! I have the AngelCare with the sensor pads but no video monitor. I personally didn't want the video because I knew that I would stare at it too much and not sleep. The sensor pads are awesome and give me peace of mind. I love waking up to my 6 month old son talking (well, babbling) to himself in the crib. =)
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to be pro monitor, I on the other hand never had one and still do not have one. I felt that they would give me a false sense of security and only trust myself to check on my kids. I also do not live in a two story home so I may feel differently if I had a second floor. It really is up to you, but I did fine without one my son is 9 and he survived my overbearing years. My daughter is 3 months and right now she is in her crib in my bedroom and will be for the future since I only have 2 bedrooms right now and I do not want her disturbing my son when she gets up for feedings. I still check on her constantly it makes me feel better to physically see her and touch her to make sure she is still breathing. I am over paranoid like that.
  • KariAnn_09
    Options
    I have found our baby monitor to be very useful! It's worth the peace of mind of being able to see him breathing and safe any time I want without going in and disturbing him. That being said, I would suggest NOT buying a Samsung monitor. We are very unhappy with the quality of our monitor and have even had to have it replaced after hardly any use. I know Motorola is a good option.
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yes on baby monitor... I stuck w/ the old school sound only monitor and was fine. Luckily, my kids are decent sleepers so when I obsessively check on them every night, they don't stir.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    This is the video monitor we have; sound only goes off if she makes a noise (filters out white noise/tv/etc.); video is great at night (only B&W though). Worth the money and peace of mind since we live with a two-story house so it's nice to check on her without having to constantly climb stairs to do so.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052QYLUM/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1