Going out with friends

Options
I feel like all social events involve either drugs/alcohol (I'm in recovery, just over two years clean) or food which I'm weird and particular about, plus I do intermittent fasting so it usually doesn't fit into my feeding window. The only places I go with friends are to the gym or to AA/NA meetings if they're also in recovery. Occasionally I'll go to a party but I just end up being the only one not drinking/getting high and feel awkward and it's not fun.

What else can I do with friends that doesn't involve food/drugs/alcohol? I feel like I isolate myself way too much and just hide in the gym or online. I need to get out more.

Replies

• BlairW_13
    BlairW_13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like shopping or movies :smile:
  • fearlesskcl
    fearlesskcl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Going for coffee with friends is always an awesome way to catch up and it's so easy to control how much you consume!
  • jdm0804
    jdm0804 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    One thing you might try if you like parties is to host them. Game nights, Movie nights, marathon TV watching parties, or even more off the wall stuff (My parties involve a lot of sitting, lol). If you don't like going to parties where you're the only one not using, then you can take the reigns! There is no such thing as a get together that has to involve drinking or drugs.

Something else to consider is to look for a new social circle that doesn't revolve around substance abuse. If you hang out with people who don't use, then you won't feel awkward about not using.

BTW, congrats on 2 years clean! That's a huge accomplishment!
  • NaomisGonnaWin
    NaomisGonnaWin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    One thing you might try if you like parties is to host them. Game nights, Movie nights, marathon TV watching parties, or even more off the wall stuff (My parties involve a lot of sitting, lol). If you don't like going to parties where you're the only one not using, then you can take the reigns! There is no such thing as a get together that has to involve drinking or drugs.

Something else to consider is to look for a new social circle that doesn't revolve around substance abuse. If you hang out with people who don't use, then you won't feel awkward about not using.

BTW, congrats on 2 years clean! That's a huge accomplishment!

I second pretty much everything he said! Invite friends over, prepare or purchase healthy snacks. Watch movies, play group video games, Texas Hold 'Em or board games, or invite friends over for an evening/afternoon of sports or other outdoor games in the backyard. Provide snacks, barbeque, fruity drinks, etc.

Another idea is to research different activities happening around your city or neighborhood, and encourage your friends to join you on outings to those activities. Those might be festivals, museums, parks, etc. I'm a big fan of checking out Groupon on a regular basis to find out about unique activities in my neighborhood.

And absolutely make every effort to surround yourself with great people who don't feel that they need to drink or get high to have fun.

And absolutely, congrats on being clean for 2 years. That is huge! :)