What would you do if...? 3/28

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
http://media.lehighvalleylive.com/express-times/photo/-a0eca2cd14bbc152.jpg

Okay, your challenge is to make this pizza healthy! Yes because it is foolish to think wwe will never eat it again but to pre-plan how will I deal with this item?!
pizza can be a disaster or a healthy addition to any diet! What changes would you make? What would you add to make more nutritious or delete for that matter. Additions?

Peace and have fun with this!
WW

Replies

• aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    This is really a curse for me. Two slices is just not right. Getting "low calorie" pizza just ruins the experience for me. The only way I feel I can do it right is to budget in the extra calories. Either work out extra long or just eat less the rest of the day.

Oh, and avoiding Papa John's. Their pizzas are the devil if you're looking at calories. 350+ calories per slice? Seriously?

Domino's doesn't seem much better....

I miss good pizza. :sad:
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Being Gluten Free, I have to make my own pizza most of the time (although Dominos makes a GF pizza now... not half bad, but it costs $20 for pizza plus delivery)
    When I first started being GF, I missed pizza so much then I found some frozen GF crusts that aren't too bad (bonus is that most GF crusts are single serving size!), so top it with tomato sauce, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, mozzarella (I'd say low fat, but I think that's all they sell anymore for mozzarella at the store) and if I'm feeling wild: turkey pepperoni!!!
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    There, there, aakx3.

Mmm...pizzzaaaa.

I especially like cold pizza for breakfast. My husband does not understand this. :)

I try to go with thin crust.

I love green olives, so I include that as a topping.

I like the mixed veggies, too.

Not sure how I'd change the meat. Grilled chicken would be good, I think. (I normally get sausage or pepperoni.)

I like feta cheese, too. It's has a strong flavor, so just a little will do. (But I admit I enjoy the gooey goodness of the traditional-pizza cheeses!)

And I stay away from white sauce on pizza--tomato sauce all the way.
  • anorangie
    Options
    Being Gluten Free, I have to make my own pizza most of the time (although Dominos makes a GF pizza now... not half bad, but it costs $20 for pizza plus delivery)
    When I first started being GF, I missed pizza so much then I found some frozen GF crusts that aren't too bad (bonus is that most GF crusts are single serving size!), so top it with tomato sauce, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, mozzarella (I'd say low fat, but I think that's all they sell anymore for mozzarella at the store) and if I'm feeling wild: turkey pepperoni!!!

One of my MFP friends avoids grains, so she recently tried a recipe for cauliflower pizza crust. She was happy with the results. (She made it multiple times in one week.) I'm sure it's not really like pizza crust, but it did sound like a good base for yummy toppings. :)

So one more to the list, WW: cauliflower pizza crust!
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If you cannot make it low calorie pack with nutrition. Make a whole grain dough and pile it with vegetables. I agree stopping on two slices is a killer.
  • anorangie
    Options
    If you cannot make it low calorie pack with nutrition. Make a whole grain dough and pile it with vegetables. I agree stopping on two slices is a killer.

Ok, I'm embarrassed to tell y'all this, but I have started eating pizza with a knife and fork so that I can slowww down. I find 1-2 pieces (depending on the size of the slice) is plenty as long as eat slowly. :)
  • Sherae12
    Sherae12 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is really a curse for me. Two slices is just not right. Getting "low calorie" pizza just ruins the experience for me. The only way I feel I can do it right is to budget in the extra calories. Either work out extra long or just eat less the rest of the day.

Oh, and avoiding Papa John's. Their pizzas are the devil if you're looking at calories. 350+ calories per slice? Seriously?

I know that it's terrible but I will have a cheat day and eat as much pizza as i want. It is my weakness...then I'll cut my calorie intake in half the next day and double my workout. I know that it doesn't really do any good but it gives me piece of mind.
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I made a pizza using oatmeal once. It was super delicious! I ground the oatmeal into flour and had about 2/3 oat flour and 1/3 oats.

I'm telling you, not only was it absolutely delicious. It was so filling I had to roll around the rest of the night.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    We actually like the super thin take home and bake pizzas from Papa Murphys. They will let you do any combo of toppings on a delite crust so we tend to special order them. At first, the delite crust seemed so 'small'. But I can eat half the pizza, be full and satisfied, and not really blow my calories for the day. I hate Papa Johns, Little Ceasars, Pizza Hut, Dominos - the orginials are just too much crust for me any more.

And we were making them at home using large tortillas - that worked to a certain extent. I really want to try the cauliflower crust thing because I'm intrigued. The hubby said NO! I may still try it and then see what he says.

I also saw a recipe where the guy melted the cheese in the bottom of the cast iron frying pan until fairly crisp and then topped it with veggies and sauce and some more cheese and broiled it to get the top cheese to melt. It sounds like way too much cheese to me but being a cheese freak it's tempting.
  • kriskerans
    kriskerans Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    just made pizza the other night, thin crust, prepackage, with pastrami, pickles, and mustard :smile: , just a little lite cheese..to die for
    my daughters boyfriend works at a pizza place and the sell tons of them each night... try it and tell me with you think...
  • allyjoy83
    allyjoy83 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm a glutton. I'll cop to that (I've been known to eat an entire large pizza to myself). BUT if I'm feeling like being a bit healthier, there's always the option of pita bread for the crust which forces me to a single serving. I still add all of the accoutrements of a proper pizza, and it's pretty close to the real deal in flavor and texture. I'm also a big fan of calzones, so I might slice into the pita and fill it with my faves and stick it in the oven. .... Great, now I'm hungry.
  • garlic7girl
    Options

OMG! that is a lot! Papa's had my stomach gurgling afterwards so I won't touch it again...if can help it. Have you ever made your own pizza Mr. AAK???
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    I'm a glutton. I'll cop to that (I've been known to eat an entire large pizza to myself). BUT if I'm feeling like being a bit healthier, there's always the option of pita bread for the crust which forces me to a single serving. I still add all of the accoutrements of a proper pizza, and it's pretty close to the real deal in flavor and texture. I'm also a big fan of calzones, so I might slice into the pita and fill it with my faves and stick it in the oven. .... Great, now I'm hungry.

I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!!!!!!!!! See this is why i like talking because of ideas!
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    just made pizza the other night, thin crust, prepackage, with pastrami, pickles, and mustard :smile: , just a little lite cheese..to die for
    my daughters boyfriend works at a pizza place and the sell tons of them each night... try it and tell me with you think...

Well I love pastrami so....
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Has anyone tried portabello pizzas? You get a nice big one, scoop out the gills and then add sauce and veggies and sausage and/or pepperoni! Bake in the oven! It is really really good! I used to make them all the time then I stopped and don't know why but I so enjoy them. I think I will start again!

If I make my own I use the whole wheat dough from Giant and add more veggies then meat. Seasonings etc. I usu add a salad to make myself more full and not eat the whole pizza!
  • anorangie
    Options
    Has anyone tried portabello pizzas? You get a nice big one, scoop out the gills and then add sauce and veggies and sausage and/or pepperoni! Bake in the oven! It is really really good! I used to make them all the time then I stopped and don't know why but I so enjoy them. I think I will start again!

If I make my own I use the whole wheat dough from Giant and add more veggies then meat. Seasonings etc. I usu add a salad to make myself more full and not eat the whole pizza!

I've been wanting to try this recipe because it looks so good:

Stuffed-Portobello-Mushrooms1.jpg

http://afoodcentriclife.com/stuffed-portobello-mushrooms-with-roast-tomatoes-and-goat-cheese/
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    CHOMP!!!! Wacka Wacka Wacka...Ms Packman am I!
  • cherryqb
    cherryqb Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I've been wanting to try this recipe because it looks so good:

Stuffed-Portobello-Mushrooms1.jpg

http://afoodcentriclife.com/stuffed-portobello-mushrooms-with-roast-tomatoes-and-goat-cheese/

I'm so trying this one!