Missing Training Runs

Options
aj445
aj445 Posts: 183 Member
So what does everyone do when they miss training runs? I'm supposed to have done a 15 miler a couple weeks ago - which I missed because I was sick. I only made it to 7. Last weekend I did a 13.1 and then this weekend i babysat my nephews so I did 8 yesterday with a plan of 15 today. However now my youngest is sick. What do I do? Will I be able to jump up to 17 next weekend or am I completely behind now?

How bad will this affect my marathon at end of May? I feel like everything is falling apart and race day is going to be very scary lol

Replies

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Missing mid-week runs is recoverable but you need your long runs if you are going to make it through the marathon. My advice would be to make-up the 15 miler tomorrow and move the 17 to Sunday.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'd make sure you get that 15 miler in somwhere. I wouldn't jump right to 17..it could lead to injuries.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Missing mid-week runs is recoverable but you need your long runs if you are going to make it through the marathon. My advice would be to make-up the 15 miler tomorrow and move the 17 to Sunday.

I wouldn't do this. That's two long runs too close together.

How many weeks until your race?

I would do 15 this weekend. I can't really advise you beyond that though without knowing how many weeks until your race.
  • aj445
    Options
    Well I can do the 15 miler tomorrow morning, and do the 17 next monday since it's a holiday. That'll be alot in the next few days, but I can pare down the mid week runs to give my legs a break if need be. thanks :)
  • aj445
    Options

I wouldn't do this. That's two long runs too close together.

How many weeks until your race?

I would do 15 this weekend. I can't really advise you beyond that though without knowing how many weeks until your race.

That is actually what I was afraid of. My race is May 26th

I have in my training plan 17 this upcoming weekend, then 18 then back down to 13.

If I move the 17 miler from Sunday to Monday perhaps that would be enough time inbetween runs?
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Well I can do the 15 miler tomorrow morning, and do the 17 next monday since it's a holiday. That'll be alot in the next few days, but I can pare down the mid week runs to give my legs a break if need be. thanks :)

I would do this. That makes them 6 days apart instead of 5. One day might not seem like a lot, but it makes a difference. Just do your mid week runs REALLY easy. No tempo, no hills, no speed. Just all easy pace or even recovery pace running.
  • aj445
    Options
    Well started the 15 this morning, but got a call at mile 8 that made me cut it short. Running home took me to 9 miles. I've been told I can split the long runs if need be and do them on the same day. Hope it's still beneficial as I'm going to do 6 tonight to finish up the 15!
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Well started the 15 this morning, but got a call at mile 8 that made me cut it short. Running home took me to 9 miles. I've been told I can split the long runs if need be and do them on the same day. Hope it's still beneficial as I'm going to do 6 tonight to finish up the 15!

And this illustrates why I refuse to take my phone with me when I run. :tongue:

Splitting the run doesn't provide the same benefit though. The adaptations take place after the 90 minute mark on the LSD. You did gain fitness splitting it in two, just not the same type of benefit you would have gotten doing it all at once.
  • aj445
    Options
    lol. I do as often as I can. But sometimes with kids it's inevitable. That's making this training very challenging! I'm getting up SUPER early monday morning to do the 17. Will have to be on the treadmill, but I want to do it all at once as the evening 6 miles I was able to do at a faster pace than the morning 9. 18 next weekend should be no problem to get done outside all at once so will be the suffering through the 17 on the TM this monday that will be the challenge lol
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Good luck, running that long on the dreadmill is one of my worst nightmares.