Help please!!!

Options
JENNIENS
JENNIENS Posts: 81 Member
My milk supply is down to very VERY little! I need help getting it back up but want to continue working out. I don't know where i'm going wrong. I started Fenugreek and not seeing a change after taking over a week. I was taking 3 tablets/3 times a day and upping that to 4 now. Any suggestions would be great. I have a preemie and really would like to continue BFing him. Thanks. I think my diary is open if you need to see it. I was eating oatmeal as well and didn't notice a difference. I am not pumping at all and he's bfing about every hour and a half.

Replies

• JessiAnn88
    JessiAnn88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories? I add an extra 500 for calories burned while breastfeeding and ake sure I eat back as many exercise calories as possible. So that would put me at 1500 for my base + 500 for breast feeding + about 200 for exercise = 2200 calories just to maintain what I need to continue to breastfeed and lose weight. You might just want to look into adding an extra 500 a day for BF and see where that gets you.

*edited since the first time I looked I didn't see you already add it in (sorry) maybe just look into eating more of your exercise calories than and see if that helps?*
  • nattymommy33
    Options
    I second JessiAnn88's questions about calories and also would set your weight loss goals to 1-0.5 pounds per week (this is the rate at which BFing moms can lose weight without issues according to the books/articles I've read) and your activity above sedentary (no mom to a nursling is sedentary!)

I looked over your diet and would probably add in oatmeal at breakfast, then focus on getting your carbs and protein closer to goal. Are you sleeping? Drinking lots of water? Those two things really affect my supply. How old is your nursling and how much does he or she nurse? They say to add 350 calories to your diet for an older nursling (over a year and eating lots of solids.)
  • nattymommy33
    Options
    Overnight I was thinking about how important good nutritional choices are while breastfeeding and trying to diet. I know I feel SUPER run down when I'm not getting lots of fruits, vegetable and lean protein and I imagine that could have an impact on supply as well. While I don't follow the diet plan, I think Eat Well, Lose Weight While Breastfeeding is a worthwhile text to thumb through, especially if you have a fair bit of weight you'd like to lose like I do.