SL's 5x5 3rd edition is anyone doing that version

Options
dafoots0911
dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
I've seen some sites that have SL's 3rd edition which include inverted rows, push-ups and reverse crunch in workout A and pull-ups/chin-ups and prone bridges in Workout B. Is there anyone doing this version? I plan on starting this program soon so I want to be on board on what everyone else is doing.

Also, how far do you go on this program? I understand Workout A is 1, B is 2 and A2 is 3, B2 is 4...is this right?

How long is the workout per session and how many weeks is the program?

So many questions but really serious about getting started.

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Its the same, he just re-added some assistance work (he adds stuff and removes it every so often). Its optional, if I understand correctly.

It will only take you an extra 10-15 minutes, I'd think.

There is no magical number of weeks to do the program. You do it until you're ready to progress to an intermediate program. For most people this seems to be somewhere in the 20-30 week range, some last longer, some a little shorter.

Each workout will take you a varying amount of time depending on how much rest you need between sets. in the beginning, about 20-30 minutes is common (if you do the assistance, add a little time to that). Later it can go as long as 80 minutes.
  • dafoots0911
    Options
    Its the same, he just re-added some assistance work (he adds stuff and removes it every so often). Its optional, if I understand correctly.

It will only take you an extra 10-15 minutes, I'd think.

There is no magical number of weeks to do the program. You do it until you're ready to progress to an intermediate program. For most people this seems to be somewhere in the 20-30 week range, some last longer, some a little shorter.

Each workout will take you a varying amount of time depending on how much rest you need between sets. in the beginning, about 20-30 minutes is common (if you do the assistance, add a little time to that). Later it can go as long as 80 minutes.
    Thank you for your response. Looking forward to starting next week.

I am not a beginner at weightlifting so do I start at the beginning and work my way up?

Was doing NROL but my stats are someting like this:

54, 5'2, 150lbs. My best squat is 70lbs 10x; Deadlift 75lbs 10x; Bench Press 85lbs 10x; OHP 60 8x. So should I start with the bar and work my way back up? And where can I get SL workout logs? For some reason, the PDF ones didn't print out right.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Yeah I would start with the recommended weights (45 for squat, bench, and press, 65 for row, 95 for deadlift) - you add weight very quickly in this so you'll surpass those numbers pretty soon.

There is an iphone app for Stronglifts that a lot of people use and like, but there are also websites/apps like Jefit that I've heard are good.

I've never printed out something so I'm not sure about that one.
  • dafoots0911
    Options
    Thank you, Tameko2. Your response and all your posts (been lurking/stalking this group for a while) have been very helpful.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I log mine on my iphone stronglifts app
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I either post to MFP or make a mental note.. haven't been able to find a Stronglifts app for Android. Anyone know any apps that work for Android.. doesn't have to be SL specific but it'd be nice to just type number of lbs vs making notes in note app.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Lift big is a strong-lifts based app for Android with built-in stall guidance. Since I often repeat weights, I prefer Strong Log, which is just a,logging program.
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    And where can I get SL workout logs? For some reason, the PDF ones didn't print out right.

I also came from NROL, I just used those workout logs
  • dafoots0911
    Options
    And where can I get SL workout logs? For some reason, the PDF ones didn't print out right.

I also came from NROL, I just used those workout logs
    Thanks. I thought about that and you just confirmed it for me.