Not Sleeping Well.

Options
Caguppie
Caguppie Posts: 53 Member
OK seasoned mommies. What do you do to get a good nights sleep? I am only 16 weeks and already struggling. Not comfortable on my side anymore for any length of time & a bit freaked to keep sleeping on my back (where I always end up). My shoulders & hips are already mad at me for all the side sleeping.

I have a Fitbit that tracks my sleep and I am also seeing a pattern each night from 4-5am where I am super restless for the entire hour, barely sleeping at all.

Anyone else having/had these problems? What have you done to help get a good night of sleep?

Replies

• rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Definitely invest in some kind of body pillow! Sadly, that is my only advice. Good luck!
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Use a bunch of pillows (sleep with a pillow between your knees) and get a good mattress pad.

Sleeping with a fan on helps me too...

Try taking a warm shower/bath in the evening and have your husband give you massages!
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry!!! I think that every prego goes through this and it stinks! I would suggest a good body pillow, that made a huge difference for me and past that nothing really helped me. I think that it is your body letting you get used to the lack of sleep that you will get FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE :) It feels like no sleep now but when you have a baby who wants to eat every 2 hours you will really know the definition of no sleep. So, body pillow and take a deep breath and know that this is one of the down sides of pregnancy.... keep thinking about all the up sides and that perfect lil bundle of love you that you are growing!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I slept with a body pillow during my last pregnancy and this one. Just a cheapie $5-$10 thing from Bed Bath and Beyond, nothing fancy, and I wash the cover every time I run the sheets through the laundry.

About three weeks ago I had a really bad week where I was waking up anywhere between 3AM and 4AM and unable to go back to sleep. My doctor recommended Tylenol PM (same stuff that makes you sleepy that Benadryl has, just without the stuff that keeps you from being able to take Benadryl), and she said if I still had issues she would write me a prescription for Ambien. So far I've been taking the Tylenol PM every night around 8:30, and I fall asleep by 10. I still wake up during the night but have no problem falling back asleep unless it's past 5:30 or so. Even then I still fall back asleep most of the time. I like it because if I have to wake up to do anything for my son, I'm still able to do so. In other words, it doesn't knock me out but just helps me go back to sleep without issue.

The only downside is that if I have a headache during the day, I have to be careful not to take Tylenol too late so as not to be overdoing it when I take Tylenol PM at 8:30.
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I hope the Tylenol pm works for you, I've heard some crazy stuff about ambien.. Google it for sure. I'd never go on that drug..

I've had some trouble sleeping also but using a pillow helps and some exercise like walking etc also helps make me more tired and able to stay asleep.
    I slept with a body pillow during my last pregnancy and this one. Just a cheapie $5-$10 thing from Bed Bath and Beyond, nothing fancy, and I wash the cover every time I run the sheets through the laundry.

About three weeks ago I had a really bad week where I was waking up anywhere between 3AM and 4AM and unable to go back to sleep. My doctor recommended Tylenol PM (same stuff that makes you sleepy that Benadryl has, just without the stuff that keeps you from being able to take Benadryl), and she said if I still had issues she would write me a prescription for Ambien. So far I've been taking the Tylenol PM every night around 8:30, and I fall asleep by 10. I still wake up during the night but have no problem falling back asleep unless it's past 5:30 or so. Even then I still fall back asleep most of the time. I like it because if I have to wake up to do anything for my son, I'm still able to do so. In other words, it doesn't knock me out but just helps me go back to sleep without issue.

The only downside is that if I have a headache during the day, I have to be careful not to take Tylenol too late so as not to be overdoing it when I take Tylenol PM at 8:30.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm to big on taking meds unless I have to, so I am hoping I don't have to go to Ambien. I'd prefer not to become dependent on anything, either, not that I will be doing a lot of sleeping when the new baby arrives!
  • Caguppie
    Caguppie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls! I've been using a regular pillow between my legs but it looks like I need to up the ante! I like the recommendation to exercise. It's something I've been avoiding a bit (miscarriage baggage) but have planned to pick up once I reach 16 weeks (this week!). I'm going to avoid medications unless it becomes a very serious problem.

Appreciate your comments; still welcoming any other bright ideas :)
  • kori333
    kori333 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I actually sleep with a body pillow on each side, pregnant or not! LOL I got used to it during one of my pregnancies and have used both of them ever since. It just makes it easier than flipping the pillow over with me when I turn during the night. My poor DH and I call the body pillow in the middle our "chastity pillow." :laugh:

I sleep horribly when I'm pregnant. I always wake up during the night and can't fall back asleep for hours. I have 3 kids already so I feel I need to be able to take care of them during the day and not be some sleep-deprived monster mommy. So last pregnancy I started taking 1/2 a unisom tablet as suggested by my midwife to help me sleep. Once the baby was born, I stopped taking it and had no problems adjusting to sleeping without it. (I was so exhausted from the baby I could fall asleep again pretty quickly!) This time I've taken it since about 8 weeks when that and B6 together were recommended for morning sickness, and I've just kept up with the 1/2 unisom ever since. It makes a world a difference for me being able to go back to sleep when I wake up at night which happens all the time.

I completely understand not wanting to take meds unless you feel you have to, but this is just another one to keep in mind if you feel you need it. :smile: I hope you're able to find something that works out for you!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Definitely invest in some kind of body pillow! Sadly, that is my only advice. Good luck!

^ This. My body pillow was a godsend throughout my pregnancy.
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love my preggo pillow... My husband actually calls it the "other thing in our relationship..."
    I sleep better when I exercise, also, try stretching before you sleep?!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I find that getting plenty of exercise really does help, so does stretching. I still have had patches where I had trouble sleeping during certain parts of the night, but they go away. Good luck!