0% - 100% Raw

So, I have been trying to be as raw as possible, but I am just having such a difficult time because I'm a culinary student. Cook this, cook that, yada yada. I know that raw food is the healthiest form of eating because none of the nutrients and enzymes are lost, and everything is bioavailable, but I need some motivation for my mouth / mind connection. I have a dehydrator which has really opened up some doors for me in the raw areas of eating, but since it takes forever for a finished product, it's a little frustrating. I have some questions for the experienced raw eaters in here.

What are some symptoms you had that disappeared when you started eating more raw foods?
What are your three favorite things as far as food items?
Should I be juicing / smoothie-ing frequently?
Do you add anything to your raw soups/ smoothies like alfalfa powder, chlorella, spirulina, Garden of Life Raw Protein, etc?
What was the hardest thing for you to accomplish while on your journey?
Do you have any book recommendations for a newbie?

THANK YOUUUU

Replies

• danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    So glad for your interest in raw foods. It's an amazing journey with so many health benefits. I can see how being in culinary school can be difficult in stay raw. I found it helps to be creative and make a dish that resembles something you normally cooked. I love pasta so I make spiralized zucchini with tomato and sun-dried tomato sauce.

I've been raw for over a year now and have yet to get a dehydrator. There are lots of things you can make with one but like you said it takes so long. I'd rather have the water content still in my foods. It's a nice treat once in a while but not good to rely on it all the time.

So to answer some of your questions :)

Before raw foods I had a bunch of medical issues including Fibromyalgia along with severe mood swings, candida, acne, rashes, hives, headaches, stomach and digestive issues to name only a few. Going raw has healed many of these and is healing the rest. I can actually run now where as before many leg issues have prevented that. Healing takes a long time but remember that you didn't get to where you are now in one day. I do raw vegan health coaching and I've seen type 2 diabetes completely disappear in as little as one month, old scars vanish, depression turn right around, women losing tons of toxic fat and gaining vibrancy. It's a lifestyle worth it.

My three favorite foods would have to be peaches, watermelon and mangos. My staples however are bananas, dates and oranges during the winter. Bananas are always a staple food for me.

I spent a lot on a juicer and barley use it. I hand juice oranges but that's about it. I think it's really important to keep the fiber in foods. I do a lot of smoothies though. It's an easy way for me to get in enough calories. I use the Ninja blender that I got this year for Christmas. It has been amazing.

I don't use any superfoods, protein powders or really any supplements except for a liquid vitamin D during the winter but most of the time I forget to take it. All these things tend to be expensive and really no use for them. There is a big hype over superfoods. It's all about the money for the people selling these things. Fruit itself is a superfood.

Probably the hardest thing while being raw was making sure there was enough ripe fruit in the house so I didn't run out. It took a little while to get the hang of knowing when things would be at peak ripeness. We pretty much have it down now.

Some books that are great are

80/10/10 by Dr. Douglas Graham
    Creating Healthy Children By Karen Ranzi. A book for raising raw children it also includes recipes.
    Left In The Dark By Tony Wright and Graham Gynn .
    Go Fruit Yourself By Freelee. It's an ebook
    All the books by Herbert Shelton.

Some great people to check out on Youtube would be Kristina Carillo-Bucaram & Freelee. Esperanza Vita also has a great story about going raw. She was very close to death with un-diagnosed celiacs disease and other problems. Her before and after photos are remarkable.
  • brittneyyvette19
    brittneyyvette19 Posts: 36 Member
    Glad I came across this posting! Some good info! Im thinking about giving it a go soon. Hopefully I can get my honey on board too, that way we can support each other :) Thanks for shooting us straight, danika! Its hard with ppl just wanting your money!
  • You are so helpful! THANK YOU for all of that!
  • kirlia
    kirlia Posts: 81 Member
    -What are some symptoms you had that disappeared when you started eating more raw foods?
    Here's an entry from my blog talking about one of the best raw food benefits I've experienced so far (I hope you can read it despite my profile not being public): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kirlia/view/i-ve-found-the-fountain-of-youth-and-it-s-raw-veganism-509084

-What are your three favorite things as far as food items?
    What a difficult question to answer, there are so many fruits and veggies I love! I love bananas and berries in the morning, and kale's my go-to food because it's so healthy (according to my nutritionist, the overall healthiest food that can be consumed by humans!)

-Should I be juicing / smoothie-ing frequently?
    I'm going to go with yes. I don't juice, but I make morning smoothies several times a week and I llllllove em. There's just so much good stuff you can pack into them, and the right combo of foods can fill you up for a super long time and give you energy for the entire day. In fact, just have a mocha green smoothie this morning actually, and it was aaaaaaamazing.

-Do you add anything to your raw soups/ smoothies like alfalfa powder, chlorella, spirulina, Garden of Life Raw Protein, etc?
    I often use maca root and/or protein powder (Vega) in smoothies. In terms of superfoods in general, I can't get enough of goji berries. Compared to other dried fruits they're super low in calories and high in protein, and they taste amazing! I make my own trail mixes and one of my favourite combos is goji berry and pure dark chocolate.

-What was the hardest thing for you to accomplish while on your journey?
    I guess incorporating the raw food lifestyle into having a social life - since the two are not very conducive - and eventually resigning myself to the fact that I can't be 100% raw, and that's okay (preferable, even). My non-veg mom just visited and brought me a bunch of veggie "meats" and I appreciate her thinking of me - when previously I would have considered throwing them out, now I'm going to eat them - albeit slowly :)

-Do you have any book recommendations for a newbie?
    Preparation is key. I find the raw food lifestyle consumes much more time (and money, haha) than just regular veganism, because you have to go produce shopping all. the. time. But is it worth it? YESYESYES. You'll likely start to feel the benefits after just a few weeks, and once that happens it's great motivation to continue. Good luck!!!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    I'm not 100% yet, but getting there. I'm went 25 days in a row last summer and felt awesome. I'd like to get back there this spring. Freelee has a new program for transitioning: How to eat raw food till dinner, the RAW TILL 4 program: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kSIMp-nw0iA#!
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    I'm not 100% raw. I eat to huge green salads a day with tomatoes, cucumbers peppers, raw nuts and seeds and oil free dressing. I also like to add a smoothie or fresh juice daily. All I can say is you can't eat too many greens and they are soooo good for you!
  • Kannu55
    Kannu55 Posts: 11 Member
    A big 'Thank you' to every one who has liked my page. I had made a deal with myself to continue with this page only if I get 100 likes within 50 days ..... and here I go --- 46 days and 101 likes. Yes, I am going to continue posting my efforts for healthy, easy and made in a jiffy recipes to be enjoyed during your weightloss journey. Hope to keep getting your support as ever. Love you all. Happy cooking, enjoy your weightloss journey. :)
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    In terms of superfoods in general, I can't get enough of goji berries. Compared to other dried fruits they're super low in calories and high in protein, and they taste amazing! I make my own trail mixes and one of my favourite combos is goji berry and pure dark chocolate.

Must try this!
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    What are some symptoms you had that disappeared when you started eating more raw foods? life long Migraines, 100% gone. clearer skin, ability to assimilate knowledge and think cleary skyrocketed, energy through the roof! (riding my bike 50-60 miles a day)

What are your three favorite things as far as food items? Apples, mangos, bananas

Should I be juicing / smoothie-ing frequently? You should be doing both frequently. Although I would put a lot more emphasis on juicing. Not only because it is delicious, but because it'll help you get in some calories!

Do you add anything to your raw soups/ smoothies like alfalfa powder, chlorella, spirulina, Garden of Life Raw Protein, etc? Personally, no. I don't have a problem with raw protein though, and might use it on occasion. Overall though, avoid processed things, even if they are "raw".

What was the hardest thing for you to accomplish while on your journey? I'm not always 100% raw, but I don't find a lot of hardship in pursuing it, I love eating raw, and I love raw foods!

Do you have any book recommendations for a newbie? 80/10/10 of course (NOT as a do all bible though). On Youtube look up "Ka Sundance", "Therawfoodworld" and "Fully Raw Kristina".

I have nothing against "gourmet" raw food. With that said, I believe that it should be used as a transitional tool for going into eating raw, and for special occasions/eating out. It is fun to make kale chips and raw desserts I'll admit, but if you want to make this lifestyle work optimally, while not spending half of your income and time preparing food...just keep it simple! Eat whole fruits, whole veggies, nuts and seeds, and try to eat lots of mono meals (meaning one food at a time). However, I camp a lot, so dried foods can be a lifesaver in that sense!

Good luck!

-Jesse