New to Group, Celiac newly diagnosed with Gallstones

Options
wellness333
wellness333 Posts: 14 Member
Really?! The irony of it all... Perhaps I'll just sprinkle salt on the lawn and graze like a sheep :smile:

Seriously, I'm back on MFP to track my fat and calories as I struggle with keeping weight on due to medications that suppress my appetite. (may sound good, but not so much.) My nutritionist turned me on to the program when I lost a tremendous amount of weight very quickly and the program helped me get to a point where I could maintain my weight at a healthy point. I'm very nervous this new bump in the road will have me sliding backwards again so I've jumped back in to the daily monitoring.

Anyone out there with tips on Gluten free meals that are low in fat and Gallstone friendly, I'd be grateful. Being new to the forums I'm also looking for new friends that won't hate on a "loser"!

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Were you aware that rapid weight loss can cause gallstones?
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Are you going to have your gallbladder removed?

Just remember that the things that upset your gall bladder are things that you probably shouldn't be eating to lose weight anyway - high fat foods, greasy/fried foods, high sugar foods etc.

Stick to a diet of fruits, veggies, lean meats, rice, quinoa etc. should all be ok. And you'll know pretty quickly if something you eat makes your gallbladder flare up.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I hope that you can get rid of those gallstones with medication. If you're having trouble keeping weight on, and must eat low fat, then carbs are the thing - yum! Gluten free cornbread is fantastic. Just don't get diabetes next. That would be awful.
  • wellness333
    Options
    Not until the ER doc told me... I didn't fit any of the other profiles... Nice surprise
  • wellness333
    Options
    I have a surgical consult on Wednesday AM. I do try to eat clean but have not worried about fats. My cholesterol has been excellent since going GF and frankly, it's been my saving grace having given up the pleasures of gluten! Thankfully I do not have any dairy issues so cheese, cream, skinless meats have not been off my menus. I do organic foods whenever possible and lots of veggies. Fruits too. Losing weight has not been an issue for me; maintaing has been hard. The meds I'm on for various issues causes what the docs refer to as metabolic anorexia which turns off my hunger hormone. It's why I'm concerned that carving out the fats will reinitiate the loss cycle; something I can't really afford to do. Thanks for the replies ladies. I really appreciate it.
  • abcdmomof2
    abcdmomof2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow, so weird that I was just talking about this with my Dr.! I have recently discovered a gluten allergy, not celiac, but an intolerance non the less. And now, I am being sent for an ultra sound because of gall stones. Do these things go hand in hand or something? It's hard enough having to cut out all the gulten, but now having to limit even more of my diet seems unattainable. I am a mom of 2 young girls and a husband who eats practically everything, so dinner time went from adventurous to extremely limited for myself. I didn't want to ever have to prepare separate meals for myself/family just because of if being such an inconvenience, and expense, and now it's like I have no choice. I'm a working mom, so it's not like I have all the time in the world to do these sorts of things