Became vegan, gained weight

Options
I was vegetarian for 36 years and could always drop weight by upping my protein-- greek yogurt, cheese etc. I never needed to count calories before. I became vegan a year ago and gained 10 points and am having a heck of a time losing weight. I know I've been eating more carbs-- I've been trying to eat more protein with Vega protein powder, tons of seitan and tofu, but it's still really hard. I've been tracking with MFP for about a month, trying to stick to 1400 calories and 100 grams of protein, but my weight is not budging. Any ideas?

Replies

• ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    add exercise? water? maybe UP the cals a tiny bit?
  • bolotini
    bolotini Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think it's the wheat. I've had just the opposite experience. I was a meat eater, then vegetarian and now vegan for the past two months. I have lost 15 pounds in two months fairly effortlessly, but it's been a bit of an experiment. The only time my weight loss has stalled (half a pound per week) was when I tried to up my protein using wheat or soy sources (veggie hot dogs, tofu, seitan, etc.) Wheat = weight for me and I'm not so hot on how soy makes me feel either, but that's just me. I derive all of my protein from veggies, nuts, seeds and beans. Try going without wheat and reducing your grain intake for a week and see if that kicks up your numbers. My guess is, it will.
  • MeanieD
    MeanieD Posts: 79
    Options
    I agree. It's quite possible that you have a soy or wheat allergy that is making you bloat a/o gain weight. Try using more nuts, beans, legumes instead of fake meats; it's easier on your system. Many of those items are over-processed and are just as bad as deli meats.