Dress Shopping

Options
Hey everyone!
So let's be honest, one of the best parts of planning a wedding is getting to look at all of gorgeous gowns in the magazines and fantasizing about dress shopping & your dream dress. When is everyone going dress shopping and what size/weight do you want to be at when you go?

I'm currently 5'4" and hope to be around 150ish when I go later on this year. Though, it probably won't be until at least July.

Replies

• raisingemilyjune
    Options
    I'm going dress shopping in August, which is exactly a year to my wedding. I'm 6'0" and I want to be 200lbs when I start looking.
  • decrecm
    decrecm Posts: 14
    Options
    My mother-in-law took me a few days after I got engaged (in December) and it was not a good experience... I was unhappy with my body and trying on dresses just made me wish I was a smaller size. I am excited to go again when I lose weight. I am hoping I will be 175lbs when I look again this June, which is a year before my wedding. When i last tried them on I went to David's Bridal and they hardly had any to choose from in a size 12. I am hoping I will be a size 10 by the time I look again,
  • Nicki2785
    Nicki2785 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm going when I go home to MA in September (I live in SC now). I hope to be around 170 by then, with 150 as my final goal. I want to go to David's Bridal so that I can choose one up there and order it & have alterations down here. Good luck ladies!!
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    to update, i actually went yesterday with my mum and found my dream dress. i am at 200lbs LOL so right at goal for wedding dress shopping, just 4 months early.
  • carom915
    carom915 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    to update, i actually went yesterday with my mum and found my dream dress. i am at 200lbs LOL so right at goal for wedding dress shopping, just 4 months early.

That's great! I'm 5'1ish and hoping to be a size 6 street size when I go dress shopping - don't know what that means in wedding dress sizes, but I think I'm going to go to some consignment shops and buy my dress preowned. Maybe I can find a shorty with a similar body as mine and I won't have to do any alterations!
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options

That's great! I'm 5'1ish and hoping to be a size 6 street size when I go dress shopping - don't know what that means in wedding dress sizes, but I think I'm going to go to some consignment shops and buy my dress preowned. Maybe I can find a shorty with a similar body as mine and I won't have to do any alterations!

ah, see, now i only have 20lbs to go and i'm currently in a loose fitting 14 street size, i fit into a 10 in my wedding dress but i needed more room for my boobs so we ordered a 14 to have taken in. the bonus is that my dress is a lace up back so i have more play with fit than a zipper. i did have to order extra length though LOL
  • Shell30Harrison
    Shell30Harrison Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm totally nervous about going dress shopping, and am putting it off until I lose....well.... 20lb hopefully.

However, I'm aware that time is running out for that. I've been told that most dresses have to be ordered at least 6 months before the wedding. Is that right?
  • TinaMGib
    TinaMGib Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on where you are, but yes generally you want to leave 6 months to get the dress ordered in and altered. I think a good bridal salon would be able to get your dress in for you within 3-4 months though, so talk to them first. It sucks if you plan to try to lose all the way up to the wedding and have to order a dress for the size you are now though, so a bodice with lace-up back is a good way to sinch you in without drastically altering the dress and if you are quite confident you will drop a dress size then go for the one below. Now THAT`s motivation to lose!
  • Shell30Harrison
    Options
    Hey there, thanks TinaMGib,
    I have started booking some bridal store appointments now for September, which is 7 clear months before the wedding, so it sounds like that will be ok then!
    Yes the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards that lace-up back. I think I will completely jinx myself if I order a smaller size, so if I can get a dress that more or less fits when I try it on, and just pull it tighter if I lose a bit of weight before the wedding, that'd be perfect!
    But you are right, a smaller size might be good motivation. Or glass-half-empty.... Too much Pressure!!! LOL :D
  • Shell30Harrison
    Options
    My first dress shopping trip is this weekend, and I'm barely half way through the weight loss plan. Really really really dreading it !!
    Anyone else about to bite the bullet and try on some dresses?
    x
  • pugsleyjean
    pugsleyjean Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Im going on September 18th to try on dresses for the first time. I still am looking to loose about 10-15lbs but didn't like how I looked back in February when I was originally going to try on dresses. Ive lost 27lbs since then so I feel a lot better at trying them on now and still being able to shop around if Im not comfortable in what I see. Im not getting married till next October so plenty of time but it will be here before I know it!
    Best of luck to you this weekend with the dress shopping!
  • Suuvarok
    Suuvarok Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I went dress browsing a few days ago with no intention of trying on dresses. That changed when we went into David's Bridal and they drug me off into a changing room! D: I was really disappointed at first when we started trying dresses on, they were not fitting right and I felt big. Even if the dress was bigger than my size it made me look big, I think because they weren't flattering. Finally we tried on a dress that was the perfect size and it really does make a big difference in the way it looks and makes you feel. So I am kind of glad that I did try on dresses before I got to my goal weight just so I have an idea, but I am glad to know that the fit is really important in the way that it flatters whatever size I may be. So if you do go before you intended like I did I would try on a dress that fits you at that time perfectly even if you aren't keen on the style.
  • Shell30Harrison
    Options
    Hi there Pugsleyjean and Suuvarok,
    Thanks for replying :flowerforyou:

My dress shopping went better than expected, as many of sample dresses either fitted me, or 'almost' did, so I could get a vague idea as to what I liked and hated! That being said, I have to agree with you Suuvarok - it was very very hard to get a feel for any dresses that did not fit me perfectly. I ended up having to totally discount several dresses that looked nice on hangers, but that I couldn't get any realistic idea as to whether they'd be flattering on me or not, just because they were way too small or big for me.

I still don't quite know which dress I'm going to go for, as none of them ticked all the boxes that I had in mind, but I only have a couple more weeks to decide due to the manufacturing time so I'll have to bite the bullet before the end of September!

One thing I was told is that if I lose weight after I order, it better not be more than one dress size, as more than one size would need the dress to be structurally changed rather than just "taken in a bit". Good point, and one to bear in mind! I guess that would suit you quite well Pugsleyjean, since you only have 10 lbs to go, so good news?!

Shell
    x
  • pugsleyjean
    Options
    Sounds like great news!
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I went dress shopping on Saturday and said yes to the dress :)

I hope to lose 5-10lbs by my wedding next November. Good Luck ladies ;)
  • Suuvarok
    Suuvarok Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good to hear that your dress shopping went well! It is hard to deal with those manufacturing deadlines and such, I would just make sure that they aren’t just trying to pressure you though. When I went into David’s Bridal that was their big pitch but I went to a smaller dress shop and they were super relaxed about the time frame. Different businesses have different deadlines and I suppose since David's Bridal is huge they have to have a lot of planning ahead, but I believe their prices are the best. As far as the sizing I know that my sister-in-law lost a lot of weight before she actually got married and I believe she took her dress to a tailor for that and it was done rather quickly. I am not sure if she had to get it restructured but I believe she lost more than one dress size.
  • Shell30Harrison
    Options
    Hi Suuvarok
    I did find that it was only the more pricey shop that really put the pressure on! Plus, they seemed to be trying to talk me into buying a dress that didn't match what I wanted, and looked pretty horrible on me, by telling me all about these "fabulous" alterations they could do - no doubt for more money!
    The cheapest shop I went to was indeed super relaxed like you said!

However, the big news is that I'm considering having a dress made for me instead. I've had a quote, which is a bit pricey, but at least it is the design I want, rather than 'making do'. If I go for that one, I only have to be measured in January too, which means another 3 months to lose another 15 lbs, which would be awesome!

I have to make the decision this weekend. Eeek!!
  • pugsleyjean
    Options
    Tried on dresses last week at David's Bridal. I had a great time and finally have it down to 2 dresses. Love them both and hard to choose. Both are size 12 and were a little big but the 10 was a little tight. Im still trying loose about 10lbs and tone at the same time. My arms are the place I really need to focus on which I have heard is the hardest place to loose weight. I have some time to choose since Im not getting married till next October. Want it to look good in all the right places!

Shell I think making your dress is the best idea yet! It's something that your gonna love and not just "making do" will make you happy in the long run. 3 months for 15lbs? You got this girl! Go for it! :smile:
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Also, note to everyone don't be discouraged at wedding dress sizes. I almost had a panic when they ordered my dress a size 14 (I've never been more than a 8/10 in my entire life and am currently a 0/2)!
  • Shell30Harrison
    Options
    Glad you narrowed yours down to 2 dresses PugsleyJean - sounds like a successful trip to David's Bridal!! Although it will be damn tough to finally get down to one! It's taken me 3 weeks of mulling it over, changing my mind repeatedly, to finally get round to biting the bullet....

...So, the big announcement is that I'm now in the same position as Rockstargina (yea us!!) - I made the decision and put the deposit down today :love:

I did end up going for the made-to-measure dress, and am feeling very good about the decision. They're ordering the lace now, which takes 3 months to arrive, so I don't have to be measured til it's here. This means I have another 15 weeks to get as close to my GW as possible. Fingers crossed!!