Vitamix Smoothies

Options
nmzeta
nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
Does anyone have any tips on making smoothies in a Vitamix without the smoothie getting warm? In order to get the consistency I want, the friction heats up the smoothie.

Replies

• theundead
    theundead Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a vitamix and I put it on variable for a few seconds then switch it to high for 4 seconds, to get the rest of it really blended, I've never had a warm smoothie, strange... Maybe just put less in and top it up as your blending?
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Usually my smoothies have a scoop of protein powder, frozen fruit, maybe spinach, nuts, chia seeds, or nut butter. I use frozen fruit, whatever else I want, and a tiny bit of water to get things started. It usually comes out fairly thick with a good consistency. I have a variable speed model. I start it on low to get it going, ramp it up to about 7 for a few seconds, and then let it go on 10 for maybe 30 seconds or until it seems like a good texture. I rarely put it on the highest setting for a basic smoothie. I'd say I blend it for a total of a minute or less.

I have had less luck when trying to make green smoothies. You do have to blend it for longer to liquefy all the greens. When I make green smoothies it usually ends up more like a juice so I put it in the freezer or fridge and let it chill before I drink it. Maybe you could make the green smoothie with a little bit of water and then add in ice at the end to get it to chill it and get a thicker consistency.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Our smoothies never get warm, but we usually start with at least some of the fruit frozen. Also, you said, "to get the consistency I like," and we like them a little on the thick side, so we might not be letting it run as long as you do.

Try starting with the ingredients as cold as possible, or maybe even toss in a few ice cubes (although that might thicken it, negating the effect). Worst case scenario, try frosting your glass and just sticking it in the fridge for a few minutes after you make it. Good luck!
  • kkoltcz
    kkoltcz Posts: 30
    Options
    Sorry to Hijack the thread with another question but- I promised myself an upgrade to my juicer if I could stick with juicing until June and have been thinking I"d go Vitamix. Do you get a really smooth consistency or does it all come out more chunky/pulpy? Do you peel apples and stuff first or does it all go in? Chunky/Pulpy tends to trigger my gag with drinks so I need to know!
  • nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I do normally do green smoothies. 'Consistency' referred to getting the greens juiced and getting any seeds completely pulverized. I will try using frozen fruit every time.

kkoltcz - The Vitamix can get anything smooth. The time and the amount of liquid you will need depends on what you are using. I have an actual juicer that I use for 'real' juice (Omega).
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Sorry to Hijack the thread with another question but- I promised myself an upgrade to my juicer if I could stick with juicing until June and have been thinking I"d go Vitamix. Do you get a really smooth consistency or does it all come out more chunky/pulpy? Do you peel apples and stuff first or does it all go in? Chunky/Pulpy tends to trigger my gag with drinks so I need to know!

I agree w/mmzeta that a Vitamix can get anything smooth; we've actually used it to make own own nut butters and they come out as smooth as anything you'd buy in the store. The only fruits we peel before putting them in are the ones with peels you wouldn't ordinarily eat (citrus, bananas, stuff like that). Apples I just cut in half and toss in the hopper.

For the record, we got ours as a reconditioned used one off the Vitamix Web site and it still works as good as new (after almost daily use for about 5 years).
  • veganashley
    veganashley Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Blend in stages. If I'm using anything other than spinach (which is very soft and blends up quickly), I will blend the greens first with milk or water (and protein powder) until smooth, then add frozen fruit and blend again.
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have an old 3600 and have trouble getting them perfectly smooth without heating up, but I am getting there now. I rip up my kale, spinach & chop up the fruit, add some juice/water, and ice at the top. I find I have best results starting low & using the tamper, then moving to high without the tamper, and then I do a few pulses at the end. I'm pretty happy with the results now and end up with very little if any chunks at the end, and I use *a lot* of kale in mine.