Back pain?!

rachelrb85
rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
Anyone else going through back pain in their third trimester? I'm currently 31 weeks and for the past few weeks my lower/mid back has been killing me. For me it only happens when I sit for a while. Unfortunately my job involves sitting for 8 hours a day but I do get up and stretch every hour or so. I've tried heating pads, tylenol, yoga, and my chiropractor. So far either nothing has worked or it's a very temporary solution. I know it's normal since my body is adjusting to this new body, but does anyone have any suggestions? Or just want to rant along with me?

Replies

• lk27
    lk27 Posts: 257 Member
    My back is killing me. I'm 27 weeks. It only hurts on my left side though. I also sit at a desk for most of the day. So far I've found nothing that helps.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    I have two very large herniations in my low back and was told I needed a fusion at the age of 18. I am now 30 and have not had it done and have survived one pregnancy, working on another.

Towards the end of my pregnancy my back went completely out for two weeks. The only things that helped were yoga stretches and massage. I had to find a therapist that was NOT afraid to do a little localized deep tissue work on a pregnanct woman though. The massage was not pleasant, but it worked.

This time I am hoping less weight gain, a lower starting weight and yoga will help. I also already purchased a massage package to start in the middle of the second tri to prevent it if I can.

I really feel for you and hope it gets better. My back actually started bothering me earlier today. I think I injured it squatting yesterday and it reminded me of how hard it will be later when I get bigger, I am only 12 weeks now.

Good luck! Here are a couple of poses that can be modified for the pregnant belly, plus it has good advice. The childs pose can be done with the knees wide so the belly can rest inbetween the legs. This will help "open" things up too.

http://blog.gaiam.com/blog/top-6-yoga-poses-for-back-pain-slideshow/

edited to add that ice helps tremendously!!! I ice for 15 minutes, then heat for 15. Ice reduced the inflammation. Good luck!
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Thanks! Child's pose is one of my favorites, I easily figured out how to be comfortable in that position with a big belly :) I completely forgot about prenatal massages, I might give that a try. Also, I never thought to ice!
  • Stevie00018
    Stevie00018 Posts: 132 Member
    I'm 23 weeks and started to feel lower and mid back pain. I asked my midwife & she confirmed that's it's normal. She didn't suggest anything that you already haven't tried. if I've been real active it's sharp pains, other wise it's just achy after a long day of carrying around the extra weight. Sometimes when my husband rubs my back it helps ...but like you said, it's temp.
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    A pregnancy support belt can really help relieve the pain by giving you some extra support. I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link but these are great: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=hpc&field-keywords=prenatal+cradle