cycling

Options
I got my bike last weekend! Totally new to this sport- would love any advice or just general info you have to share.

I'm hoping to join some of the women's rides that Gray Goat has on Saturday mornings.

Angie

Replies

• aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    *sigh*
    crickets

:)
    Angie
  • kenjleigh
    kenjleigh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a bit new to the Indy area so I haven't cycled (besides stationary) around here much, to be honest the drivers scare me. I'm used to quiet country roads where you can see cars a mile away. But I think I'd like to try this summer around here. What's the Gray Goats ride?
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what "Gray Goat" was my self...

I have to say I'm new to cycling also so I'm not much help Angie..
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    you could get a pass for eagle creek park...i ride through and around it as part of most of my rides. it's a little hilly/the roads aren't great in some places, but there's a lot fewer cars. just watch out for deer...
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I love to cycle. Best advice I can tell is to learn to maintain your bike, wear a helmet and ride lots!
  • aeverton
    Options
    Gray Goat is the bike shop where I bought my bike. They have no drop rides every Saturday. A long, medium and short route. (short is about 25 miles)

Well since I've posted this topic- I've watched a butt load of youtube videos about changing gears (I'm so new to cycling, I didn't really know all the ins and outs about this), I also went to Gray Goat's free bike maintenance class and learned how to change a tire- I'm thinking I'll need to go again- lots of steps to remember!!

I'm honestly afraid to get out on the busier roads until I can get more experience- I can't seem to hold a line very well. I hope this comes with practice!!

Angie
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    The wife and I got our first ride of the year in today around the Yorktown/Muncie area... about 18 miles total... It was great weather for it!
  • gsmith58v3
    gsmith58v3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Angie,

Check out CIBA rides. Because you went to Grey Goat, I am assuming you live on the southside of Indy, and if so there are lots of places to ride without much traffic. It takes me about 15 minutes to get out of traffic, but I often just drive out to either Southeastway or Southwestway Parks. BTW nice bike. Is that a Tarmac or Roubaix/Ruby. The folks at Grey Goat set you up right ;)

Greg
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Gray Goat is the bike shop where I bought my bike. They have no drop rides every Saturday. A long, medium and short route. (short is about 25 miles)

Well since I've posted this topic- I've watched a butt load of youtube videos about changing gears (I'm so new to cycling, I didn't really know all the ins and outs about this), I also went to Gray Goat's free bike maintenance class and learned how to change a tire- I'm thinking I'll need to go again- lots of steps to remember!!

I'm honestly afraid to get out on the busier roads until I can get more experience- I can't seem to hold a line very well. I hope this comes with practice!!

Angie

Since you're new to cycling, I suggest you concentrate on becoming familiar with the operation of your bike before going on a group ride.

Practice shifting, learn to downshift and upshift. You'll want to be able to shift without much thought. Practice riding and shifting somewhere you have room to look down at what's happening without getting run over or hitting something or someone.

Practice clipping in and out of your pedals. I assume your bike has clipless pedals? As you learn to ride you may want to adjust the tension so they're easier to get in and out of. As you ride more you can adjust the pedal so it's more secure.

Learning to change a tire is key! You will get a flat sooner or later. Make sure you pack tire levers, a spare tube, spoke wrench and get a good frame mounted air pump and learn how to use them. Also practice removing and mouting your front and rear wheels!

As far as maintaining a line, you'll get better as you become more comfortable on your bike. Try to keep your upper body relaxed as you ride and don't grip the handle bars with a death grip! Pick a spot about 2 feet from the edge of the road and try to maintain that line.

Don't forget to have fun!
  • aeverton
    Options
    Angie,

Check out CIBA rides. Because you went to Grey Goat, I am assuming you live on the southside of Indy, and if so there are lots of places to ride without much traffic. It takes me about 15 minutes to get out of traffic, but I often just drive out to either Southeastway or Southwestway Parks. BTW nice bike. Is that a Tarmac or Roubaix/Ruby. The folks at Grey Goat set you up right ;)

Greg

Thanks Greg- it's a Dolce Sport
    Yea, I think I'm going to try a SW park- I looked up a few routes on this website: http://ridewithgps.com/

I also looked up some CIBA rides. I might try one of those breakfast rides or maybe the one down in Franklin.

Angie
  • aeverton
    Options
    thanks Philllbis for all the advice!!

Angie
  • gsmith58v3
    Options
    Angie,

If you go out to Southwestway, you'll probably be heading, oddly enough, S, SW, or directly West. Due to roads, the airport, and traffic going NW is difficult unless you go far enough out to end up towards Plainfield.

Going S or SW would head you towards Mooresville or Brooklyn. Both are good places to stop for a break, but there is some distance involved (not to mention a few hills). Going directly West will would take you through Camby, across 67, and south of the airport. There are a number of places to stop for a drink going that direction (and it wouldn't have as many hills). All of these roads are pretty rural except crossing 67 &/or around Mooresville.

It all depends on how far you want to ride (along with hills & wind). And speaking of wind, keep an eye on the direction and speed when you head out...trust me on this one.

Have fun. Greg
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Planfield has a great trail system. I am lucky to have a trail head right down the road from where I live. My husband and I then pick up the trial and go all over. Plainfield has miles a paved trails. You should check it out.
  • aeverton
    Options
    <<It all depends on how far you want to ride (along with hills & wind). And speaking of wind, keep an eye on the direction and speed when you head out...trust me on this one.>>

Boy, I thought I didn't like running in windy conditions- cycling is really tough!!!

Angie
  • aeverton
    Options
    Thanks briabner! I didn't know...definitely something to keep in mind.

Angie
  • gsmith58v3
    Options
    This is why it's good to ride in groups... drafting is a way of life. Hang in there, summer mornings and evenings will be much calmer. I like heading into the wind on the way out and having it at my back on the return.

Briabner is correct Plainfield has a nice trail system. It's not as long as the Monon, but it's definitely long enough to get in several miles. Trails also provide protection from the wind. Just say'n :)
  • CoCoRedRider
    CoCoRedRider Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Check out Indy Cog's Ride Guide, too; each street in the county is ranked for its bikeability. I imagine it's especially helpful for those new to Indy. http://indycog.org/rideguide