Insanity or P90X best to start with for weight loss?

Options
Hi everyone,

I just started Insanity on Monday and I am finding it very hard to get through because my midsection is still so heavy. I have seen tons of people having amazing results with both Insanity and P90X and was just wondering if maybe I should have done P90X first or even a hybrid of them both to get the results I want. My husband is taking me to Hawaii in August for our anniversary and a graduation present and I would really like to get closer to my goal weight and look good in a bathing suit when we go.

Can anyone give their story and advice on what will help me get where I want to be?

Thanks!

Replies

• supernova08
    supernova08 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    personally i prefer the p90x it is hard but there is less of a likely hood for injury. there is a LOT of jumping exercises in insanity and the human body can only do so much of it before it really begins to cause excess amounts of stress on the knees and ankles which can lead to some pretty painful injuries. remember when your exercising that there is no way to pin point fatty areas of the body you have to work out the entire body to get results you want. good luck!!!:smile::wink:
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    This may not be helpful but ChaLEAN Extreme is an absolutely fantastic 90 day BeachBody program that has already changed me in only 4 weeks...
  • lstok873
    lstok873 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried p90x, but am on my second round second month of Insanity. I started Insanity at 2 months postpartum with a nice big midsection. That first month was super hard to get through, yeah, I remember the jiggles and getting frustrated because the belly was in the way if my floor runs and ski abs, and everything. Lost 4 inches off waistline that first month and now on my second round the belly doesn't get in the way at all (I had a c section, so will always have a belly). I say stick with it, but modify what you need to. Previous poster is right that it is hard on the knees, so modify if you feel pain until you get some weight off and are more capable! Overall, I saw great success with Insanity (enough that I'm repeating it). Good luck!
  • ptreasures
    Options
    Thanks guys! I have noticed the knee problem especially since I have a bad knee that was injured in High school. Guess I will keep on with Insanity and then maybe try P90X after.
  • CoachTommyB
    Options
    I think p90x is the best work outs for losing weight without injury. I hurt my knee doing insanity and it took me out for quite a while. P90x requires more equipment but really not much, and you get such a good work out with moves that are less likeley to hurt your joints. Also I would reccomend doing cardio x before plyo x to get a bit of a foundation before you take it on. Good luck!
  • fufi04
    fufi04 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on your individual body. I just started my 2nd round of Insanity and I'm loving the results. I went from not working out ever in my life to completing the entire program. When I started I still had about 100lbs to lose (ultimate goal) so far Ive lost 40. I didnt join MFP right when I started. And no I wasnt moving as fast as the ppl in the videos. I also had to modify some of the moves, well, I still do. (:
  • ptreasures
    Options
    I think it just depends on your individual body. I just started my 2nd round of Insanity and I'm loving the results. I went from not working out ever in my life to completing the entire program. When I started I still had about 100lbs to lose (ultimate goal) so far Ive lost 40. I didnt join MFP right when I started. And no I wasnt moving as fast as the ppl in the videos. I also had to modify some of the moves, well, I still do. (:

Congrats on your weight loss. I am not modifying the moves so much as my HRM goes on beeping episodes so I have to take more breaks to let my heart rate come back to a good level.

Thanks for the input everyone. I am going to finish insanity and then decide if I should get P90X or do another round :)
  • proton77
    proton77 Posts: 409
    Options
    I've done P90X and am finishing up Insanity in a week. I would recommend P90X for faster weight/fat loss.

The common understanding is cardio = weight loss and Insanity is primarily cardio. Well, doing an exercise like Insanity might help you burn a lot of calories DURING the workout but your body won't continue burning calories AFTER the workout like P90X does. Why? P90X is a very well balanced program that combines weight and cardio. The weight routines from P90X at the very least condition and build your muscles which will result in further calorie burn (50 more calories burned per pound of muscle per week). Don't worry though ladies won't get buff like guys do. It will just make you look toned.

If you have both programs already, you could swap out the cardios from P90X with that of Insanity. That will work even better. PM me if you have any questions :)
  • MrsCJ1
    MrsCJ1 Posts: 77
    Options
    I've done P90X and am finishing up Insanity in a week. I would recommend P90X for faster weight/fat loss.

The common understanding is cardio = weight loss and Insanity is primarily cardio. Well, doing an exercise like Insanity might help you burn a lot of calories DURING the workout but your body won't continue burning calories AFTER the workout like P90X does. Why? P90X is a very well balanced program that combines weight and cardio. The weight routines from P90X at the very least condition and build your muscles which will result in further calorie burn (50 more calories burned per pound of muscle per week). Don't worry though ladies won't get buff like guys do. It will just make you look toned.

If you have both programs already, you could swap out the cardios from P90X with that of Insanity. That will work even better. PM me if you have any questions :)

Agreed!! I haven't actually completed INSANITY but I love P90x. It got me great shape for my wedding and I was only using the weight lifting videos and running on cardio days. Truly, lifting weights is what is going to get you optimum results. Lots of cardio will get you skinny, but weight lifting will sculpt your body! Also, the more muscle you have the faster your metabolism will be. This will get you better results. Good luck! INSANITY workouts are intense. I admire anyone who commits to them! :smile:
  • JessGaussoin
    Options
    If you have both programs already, you could swap out the cardios from P90X with that of Insanity. That will work even better.

This. I started a hybrid of both on 4/1/13. I just Googled it and found a schedule but this is exactly what it does. Only finished Day 2 so I can't speak on how effective it is but if anyone is curious, I'd be happy to keep you informed on how it's going. :)
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    It all depends...I've Completed Insanity and P90X...And now I'm on Body Beast.

Insanity is pure intense hard hard cardio..so yes you will melt!!!! i mean....MELT. ....you burn burn burn

P90X is total body workout...Cardio,Core,Streching,strength with weights etc.... So you burn and tone up too...

Many are saying that you need both cardio and strength now to get the best results...so it all depends on what you want.

An Hybrid of them would be amazing but very hard if you're a newbie.

Good luck.
  • ptreasures
    Options
    If you have both programs already, you could swap out the cardios from P90X with that of Insanity. That will work even better.

This. I started a hybrid of both on 4/1/13. I just Googled it and found a schedule but this is exactly what it does. Only finished Day 2 so I can't speak on how effective it is but if anyone is curious, I'd be happy to keep you informed on how it's going. :)

Yes, please keep me posted on how it s going for you. I am very interested in doing a hybrid of the two, but I have to talk my husband into letting me purchase P90X first. He is getting closer though because I keep showing him other peoples results.