Insulin Bubble Belly

Options
Any of you insulin belly pokin buddies got a bubble on ur gut that you just can't seem to get rid of even with diet and exercise??? It's probably lipodysthrophy from too many injections in the same spot! I have it big time and I was wondering if anyone had any success in getting rid of it???? It's so sad that people who want to get in shape and have a fit body and have to be stuck with an insulin bubble. People are able to make their bodies look awesome with traing BUT with an insulin bubble - it's kinda hard to. Please tell your story!!!! Thanks

Replies

• CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I don't have that. I never have. I'm surprised that I don't because when I was little the only place I would take my shots was in my butt. That's the only place I had fat on my little body!!! I think I'm just not susceptible to that problem. I'm pretty happy too that I don't get marks on my fingers from doing blood sugars. I think that I don't get insulin bubbles because God blessed me with stretch marks after pregnancy!!!
  • forestplay
    forestplay Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've been injecting in my belly for 30+ years, using a pump exclusively in my tummy for 17. When injecting, I tried to also use the top of my thighs and butt.

I have some lumpiness under the skin of my belly. That's the scar tissue from hitting that spot too many times. I don't think anyone but my wife would ever notice. By avoiding those spots in the future I expect over time they will diminish but probably never vanish.

The beer belly I had when I was at my max weight has reduced as my weight went down and has made the little lumps a bit easier to feel.

-Bob
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I got bless with insulin bubble and pregnancy stretch marks!!!! But luckily the stretch marks aren't too bad and they're just under my bellybutton and area.

I hope my belly goes flat one day. I've stopped injecting in the belly since Feb 1st this year. Now I got ugly bruises on my *kitten* and thighs and arms. SO ugly looking. Not a good look for summer that's for sure.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    with the pump my *kitten* is where it goes.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    the pump would drive me crazy too - having an effing cord hanging from my body all the time. I can't even handle a purse on my shoulder half the time. lol. **** out of luck for me!
  • forestplay
    Options
    the pump would drive me crazy too - having an effing cord hanging from my body all the time. I can't even handle a purse on my shoulder half the time. lol. **** out of luck for me!

Everyone who has a pump thought like that at one time or another. It truly works so well, it's worth the inconvenience.

I do miss walking around the house nude. That's really the only time I notice it. In bed, it just goes under the pillow and is removed for intimacy. It turns out it's never that big a deal.

-Bob
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    Your skin should eventually heal, but make sure you rotate everywhere. Start using legs, arms, back, lovehandles. Everywhere!
  • vickicutshall
    vickicutshall Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this would be of interest, but the OmniPod has no tubing and their recent upgrade is smaller and thinner. You just fill it, pop it on, and go. Might take a look at their website.
  • AMBlass
    Options
    In regards to the OP, insulin pumps wouldn't prevent the insulin lipoatrophy. In fact, pumpers sometimes suffer more scar tissue because insulin is being continuously infused in the same spot for 3 days, versus all over with injections. That's with either type of pumps.

As far as tubing, that's definitely a personal preference. The idea of having a pod actually stuck on my skin like a lump sounds and looks horrendous to me. But I was on a tubed pump for 12 years and had absolutely no issues with it. It's purely personal preference and luckily there are options for those who are turned off by one or the other. Of course, I've been back on injections for a year now and I have absolutely no plans on going back.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I will be on the pump here shortly however do have the two small insulin bubbles on both sides of my belly near my belly button and I hate them. That is the only reason I do not rock a bikini.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options

Everyone who has a pump thought like that at one time or another. It truly works so well, it's worth the inconvenience.

I do miss walking around the house nude. That's really the only time I notice it. In bed, it just goes under the pillow and is removed for intimacy. It turns out it's never that big a deal.

-Bob

^^ I agree, except I wear a pump belt to bed and during intimacy :)
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    Options
    Okay, what about the 5 to 10 grand they cost? I suppose all of you are lucky enough to have full health coverage on it?
  • forestplay
    Options
    Okay, what about the 5 to 10 grand they cost? I suppose all of you are lucky enough to have full health coverage on it?

I last bought a pump about 4 years ago and will be looking to replace my current pump this summer. I don't think they cost $10K. They are more in the $4-5K range. Still, no small investment. Then there is also the cost of supplies: Infusion set, reservoir, tape, etc. Most people who use a pump also test multiple times every day. I test 6-8 times typically. I test more when I do a lot of exercising.

Insurance is how most of us can do this. I have a comprehensive plan through my employer. If you are of moderate means and have no insurance it would be difficult. It really sucks that this disease is so damn expensive.

I have heard of "pump scholarships" but I have no personal experience with that. Maybe Vickie can speak of this.

Sorry to be so pessimistic after talking up using a pump. I'm afraid when it comes to the cost of medical care, there isn't much good news.

-Bob
  • AMBlass
    Options
    Full coverage is unlikely... most insurance companies, if they approve it, will only pay about 80% of the pump, and then a portion (usually 80%) of the supplies that come with the insulin pump. It's certainly not a cheap endeavor but the payout can be well worth it when it comes to complications down the road. Those aren't cheap either!
  • vickicutshall
    vickicutshall Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's true, after insurance, most folks end up paying out their year's maximum ($1200-2500, whatever is the annual maximum) and insurance has picked up the other 80% of a new pump purchase. The pumps all end up being about $7000 these days--market's competitive enough, no one can afford to be "the most expensive one." Even OmniPod, which has much lower up front costs, may have higher month-to-month costs because you're buying a box of little "pumps" each month. So, by 3 years, everyone could be out about the same. Roche's AC Combo has some attractive cost reductions up front to help folks come almost to no out-of-pocket after insurance. It's not the easiest pump to learn, but definitely worth considering if you're really in the pump market.

A real consideration, in my opinion, is looking at either DexCom or Medtronic, for a sensor (continuous glucose monitor--CGM) first. Out of pocket on CGMs is much less than pumps and can be used with shots. This could hugely improve your blood glucose management while using long- and short-acting insulins.

In any case, if you can afford any technology, go for it--BUT, make the companies work for you! Call them and they will go over backward to work with you and your physician(s), as well as your insurance (if you have it), to get the paperwork done. If you try to do this yourself it will drive you crazy!! It's like buying a house!

Meanwhile, if technology beyond a good meter is not financially possible, just be sure you've got a reliable meter and USE it! Also, despite our focus on carbs, DO go for the leanest diet you can without going too austere. High fat and high protein do affect our blood sugars for hours afterward. For those of us who've had diabetes for a long time, that sort of got lost in the translation and is coming back as a reminder--same old healthy, fairly lean diet, plenty of water, and keep moving.

Don't know if that's helpful, but that's my take.
    V
  • Ghomerzgirl
    Ghomerzgirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    After 4 shots a day for 22 1/2 years yeah I have it to and I hate it! I'm very thin (and hate that too). When I was first diagnosed in 91 the only place I did my shots were in my legs and continued to for nearly 7 years. I have horrible scar tissue in my legs because of it and can't take my injections in my legs any longer because the insulin doesn't absorb. I try to stay away from my belly now and use my love handles that I got after having my kids or the small fatty area just under my breasts. That is actually the one place where my insulin absorbs the best. I wish I could get mine in my stomach to go away. Thankfully though I blame it on pregnancy rather than my diabetes.

Jenn
  • swensonsings
    swensonsings Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I first got my pump (almost 4 years ago) I DID have 100% coverage for it and all of my supplies - just a $30 co-pay for test strips. My coverage changed (premiums up, coverage down) last year so now I have to pay 20% on my sets, reservoirs and sensors for my CGM. My pump crapped out last month, luckily still under warranty by just a couple months. It was good timing - I got a brand new replacement pump for free, and now I won't have to replace it for quite some time. I had to replace my CGM transmitter in January and I was sure wishing it had died before my coverage changed. I am pretty unhappy with the transmitter, too - it is way touchier than my old one was - lots more lost sensors now. :-(

Back on topic - I have some scar tissue, but have not noticed a "bubble belly".... of course, I still have an awful lot of flab, so that probably won't be noticeable until I lose a lot more weight. Right now I am just reveling in the fact that I had to go clothes shopping and was down two pant sizes.... :-)
  • Ghomerzgirl
    Ghomerzgirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Right now I am just reveling in the fact that I had to go clothes shopping and was down two pant sizes.... :-)

WTG!
  • OhThatBlonde
    OhThatBlonde Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This is a wonderfully informative thread ... I've never heard of "insulin bubble belly" but will certainly google it now. :bigsmile: Nine months ago I was diagnosed as a Type 1 and am now taking the steps so I can be considered for a pump. I was shocked at the cost ... of both the pump and then there's the supplies.

There is a lot to consider when it comes to making the decision to get a pump; and, it comes at a great expense if I decide after 9 months that it's not for me. [I don't know why I chose 9 months - perhaps b/c that's how long I've been dealing with the injections.] I too, am concerned about the tubing and just what to do with the pump (where to wear it during the day and what about at night)... and, I know this sounds vain, but the psychological aspects of having the pump - having that constant reminder hanging on me that I'm somehow damaged goods, sick, whatever it is - clearly I haven't quite worked that out yet.

Based on the research I've done, a pump will greatly improve my ability to control my BG #'s and that will make for a healthier me... it's hard for me to not take a shot at having better control of my numbers. I'm considering the Animas - I just hope my insurance company will help out on the cost ... ... ... ... and I want to do everything I can to avoid the insulin bubble belly.
    thx all
  • Corinne_Howland
    Corinne_Howland Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you work a W pattern when inserting the pump site, it will help. I do one side of the belly for two weeks, then, go to the other. It works for me. have been pumping for 14 years. I wear my pump on my pocket. the tubing gets held to the pump with the clip, then I cut a small hole in my pocket to run the tubing inside my pants. Total control of the tubing. Works like a charm.