When do you workout?

Options
mamarundrc
mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
When do you workout? I just gave birth to my second son. I am trying to figure out how to fit a run in or a workout in and other than doing it when they go to bed or waking up early I have no idea how to fit it in. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Whenever I find time. While my youngest naps and the other one plays computer games or some other thing that kids do. While they're playing together or distracted I do a dvd or something off youtube. It's not always easy but it gets the job done. Sometimes I go for a walk after my husband gets home from work.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I go either right after work while my kids are doing their sport practices or after they go to bed. I also try to take them for walks and have them exercise with me when possible (mine are 7, 7, and 11)
  • CourtneyLeigh83
    CourtneyLeigh83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I fit little bits in whenever I get a minute. Using my little guy in place of weights or a medicine ball - makes for a great workout!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I also use children for resistance :) I waited a year before getting serious, but I like going running during nap times (with the kids in the stroller). At work during lunch. Early mornings, etc. Whenever I can, essentially.
  • lilmizp
    lilmizp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For the first couple of months, I just exercised when I can with DVD's at home. Now, my son's dad picks him up from daycare and I just go to the gym directly from work.
  • lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    When I had my son (3 years ago) my oldest was 5 and I didn't work out. But I look back now and wish I would have started. There are tons of exercise programs out there for new moms, if you can I'd try to get them both on a schedule so that when they take a nap you can get some type of workout in.
    Right now I workout between 9 and 10 am because my oldest is at school and my youngest is either playing with his trains or watching a TV show.
  • lizp114
    lizp114 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I try to workout early mornings when everyone is sleep and I go to the gym at night once the kids are in bed and my hubby is home.
  • daisyterp
    daisyterp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do better when I workout outside of my house. I started with Stroller Strides w/ my 2 kids in a double jogging stroller.
    Now my goal is to go to jazzercise 4x a week and they have childcare for one class a day that my kids do fine in. A lot of gyms have daycares as well.
    I do try to do workout DVDs/on-demand but if my youngest is awake it is hard- I hate it when they get in my way, it totally ruins my work out for me.
  • mmc23
    mmc23 Posts: 42
    Options
    Now that both kids are out of the house by 8:15, I usually run straight from the bus stop. :) before they were in school, I would go before hubby left for work. (5:30 to 6:15 am). It was so hard to get any workouts done with babies or toddlers or preschoolers in tow, I remember that well. When I just had one I would often walk with her in the sling or carrier which she loved.

My kids were also awful with on demand or DVD workouts when they were younger. Any time mom is busy they just have to try to interrupt, huh ;) now they don't interrupt anymore, but if they are home when I do Pilates or yoga, they sit on the couch & laugh at mom -- thanks guys, ha ha!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i start at 4am,, i am at my best then.
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. It will still be a couple of weeks before I can start working out again but at least I have some ideas to try when I do!
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I sneak it in whenever I can! It can be challenging. Luckily my gym is open 24 hours and is one minute from my house! That helps a lot. I go when my husband is home to take the kids and otherwise I really like workout dvds to do at home on my own schedule. Now that the weather is getting nice I plan to take my baby on a lot of walks while me big kids are in school...
  • SuperPink
    SuperPink Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    During naptime. DS naps between 130-330pm.
  • rachpetersen
    rachpetersen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I work out first thing in the morning as soon as I am done breastfeeding. My husband watches the baby while I exercise before he heads off to work...so usually around 7:00/7:30
  • ShellGetsFit
    ShellGetsFit Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning before the kids get up. Up at 4:45 eat my banana and straight to the sweating! I try to do exercising in the evening too, sometimes walking with my girls, some active Wii games with them or just running around at the park. I'm going to start C25K soon too!
  • ekupcha
    ekupcha Posts: 3
    Options
    Both of mine are school age so I go to the gym right after they get on the bus.
  • jklm913
    jklm913 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I work an odd schedule, and I'm SOOOO not a morning person. I've found that the best time for me to work out is actually around 11pm after I get home from work, and when most everyone else in the house is asleep.
  • NJD2885
    NJD2885 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I try to do it once they are in bed for the night, i also take them for walks as much as possible and we do some things as a family(like hiking, we carry the baby and we give piggybacks to my 3 year old when she gets tired and my son is usually good but likes to stop to rest for a few seconds here and there). My husband is really good about watching them so I can get workouts in too. So basically I workout when ever I can fit it in lol :happy:
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've done it whenever I can. Ideally in the morning so the day's routines don't drain me per say or something comes up at night. Do what you can even if that means breaking it up from 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there, and 20 minutes anywhere. Total for the day is important. I've had some friends to ab workouts during commercial breaks.
  • Gina91507
    Gina91507 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Congratulations of the birth of your second son! I have two boys also. They are my world, totally full of energy!

I either walk/ jog with them in the stroller, or I do my workouts at home at nap. I do P90x so it's pretty sweet that I can pop in a DVD and get it done when they are sleeping.