Sleep Study

gregr072
gregr072 Posts: 43 Member
Hello fellow guys,

I'm just curious if any of you have had a sleep study done. I had one done last night. It took me forever to fall asleep, but I did get some sleep. The wife has been complaining about my snoring for years and she thinks I have apnea like symptoms from time to time. I mentioned it to my Dr. and he suggested the study. I'm just curious what to expect next and if anyone has felt like they had success from any treatments to improve sleeping. Thanks!

Replies

• AASmith1977
    AASmith1977 Posts: 14 Member
    A buddy of mine did that 3 years ago, and found that his sleep was interrupted something to the tune of 16 times an hour due to sleep apnea. He was given a CPAP mask, and he said that the first night he used it he had his best night of sleep in years, and doesn't know what he'd do without it.
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Had my 1st sleep study done in '03 and they were at my house the next day setting up my CPAP. Seems I was obstructing and waking an average of 55 TIMES an hour. Never went into REM sleep. I had never known sleep could be that great. My wife calls my CPAP my mistress. She says I may not sleep with her every night, but I always sleep with the CPAP. After losing the amount of weight I have I probably need to have another done. My wife says my snoring is very much decreased!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    I think you will find that Many of us in the Order are CPAP people, I have been on CPAP for 16 years and Like Jim, I need to get another study after weight loss to get mine adjusted. Craig had his adjusted recently. I will say this for CPAP, it has saved my life, yes it is a pain but once you get used to sleeping properly at night you will be astonded how much better you will feel. I say get the study done, If you do not need CPAP they will not give it to you. Much luck. Keep us informed of your progress.
  • gregr072
    gregr072 Posts: 43 Member
    Thanks Guys, That is helpful info. I did the test last night in my home. It took me forever to fall asleep with everything hooked up to me so I'm hoping it recorded enough info to give the Docs enough data.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    I need an actual study, but I'm sleeping better. Getting diagnosed and adjusting was hard, but I doubt I could have lost weight without CPAP
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    I had it done after my transcent schemic attack last september. It recommended a CPAP but I decided to skip it after a new test when I have a BMI of 25..
  • gregwhitley
    gregwhitley Posts: 26 Member
    I got mine almost two years ago. The Doc told me anything over 30 episodes per hour was considered "severe apnea". I had 94/hr in the study! The gal came in and put the mask on me at about 3 AM and it was like I blinked and she was waking me up at 7. I slept better for those 4 hours than I had in YEARS! I <3 my CPAP :D
  • kempt_ken
    kempt_ken Posts: 96 Member
    For anything OSA/ CPAP/ sleep study related this is a great forum....http://www.apneasupport.org/

I just saw this post and I've been on CPAP for about 4 years now.

Hello fellow guys,

I'm just curious if any of you have had a sleep study done. I had one done last night. It took me forever to fall asleep, but I did get some sleep. The wife has been complaining about my snoring for years and she thinks I have apnea like symptoms from time to time. I mentioned it to my Dr. and he suggested the study. I'm just curious what to expect next and if anyone has felt like they had success from any treatments to improve sleeping. Thanks!