Body measurements

Options
Ok, so I know that the USN uses body measurements when the weight requirements are not met; however, I don't know how they calculate the outcome...
Can anyone help me with this?
To meet the weight requirements I must lose around 60 more pounds. But I'm not sure how long that will take me, so my first priority is to meet the body fat percentage by measuring myself.
Also on a side note: what is the maximum age for enlisting or earning a non-rated commission?
Thank you in advance. :-)

Replies

• Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hey! Welcome and sorry it's taken so long to get back to you!

Here is the calculator that the Navy uses:

http://www.skinbodyfitness.com/bmr_bmi_bfp.htm

I'm not sure on the age.. I want to say 35, but I'm not totally sure.

What are you looking to go into the Navy as? What are your workouts/eating habits? Have you talked to a recruiter yet?

~Cassidy
  • daniellesease
    daniellesease Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that information, Cassidy.
    A for the type of job I would like in the Navy, I was thinking along the lines of finance. But, I'm open for other possibilities. My step-father was an ET1 Nuke. He practically lived 80% of his career on a submarine in the middle of an ocean. My sister-in-law was a crypto-technician. She had one of the highest security clearances because of her type of work. Me, I have a Bachelors of Science in Business Management with a concentration in Accounting. I would like to put my degree to some good use. My family insist that I try to earn a commission in the Navy rather than enlist. Regardless of what happens, I will join. If I can ever make weight.
    My workouts are limited to mostly work related at the moment. But I have exercise equipment such as an elliptical, treadmill, pilates machine, some kettle balls, stability balls, a couple weights, and other random things. My problem is wanting to work out when I've been working hard all day at work. I feel exhausted. Today I ride my bike, went for about 2 hours and did 8 miles.
    My eating isn't that great. I know what I need to eat, but I really enjoy snacking. And my weakness is a can of peanuts. My diary is viewable if you want to check it out. I know that I need to eat more protein, less fat/carbs/sugar, and more vegetables. I love them, but it's much easier to eat fruit when you are on the go. And that is where I end up eating too much sugar.
    Yes, I have talked to a recruiter. I spoke with one with my sister because she wants to enlist with me. The recruiter looked arty me as though I were a lost cause and didn't bother giving me much information. I tried to talk to another recruiter and they said that they won't make an appointment to see me until I have met the physical requirements. :-( I don't want to give up...I only need to lose 60lbs. It sounds like a lot, but in actuality it isn't. I could lose it within the next 6 months if that was all I focused on and if I didn't have a job that I needed to pay bills. Eh.
    Anyways, thank you so much, and I better put the pedal to the metal if I'm going to get someone out there to take me seriously.
    - Danielle
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    If you want it, you are going to have to work for it. There will be days you get off a 12 hr shift and have to PT afterward, in boot camp/ A school you will get up early and run, etc. Might as well start now. As someone who went in at nearly 28 years old, and who was never really physically active I can tell you this, it's work. You have to work out, you have to eat right. It sucks. I go to the gym, I eat healthy, I work hard to get my run time better, a 20 year old guy who smokes and eats fast food daily will still beat me.

theoretically you can lose that weight in 6 mos, and I hope you are able to if you really would like to join, but it comes, from you. A recruiter isn't going to put a lot of effort into someone who is older and not physically fit, or within standards, that's just the sad reality. In their eyes you won't last, so they are more interested in the high schoolers and 20-something's. Best thing you can do is prove them wrong.

it sounds hard, but you have to discipline yourself. I got here less than a month ago and I've lost 6lbs. I decided, no fast food. I keep healthy food that I have to prepare. It sucks sometimes, but in the end it feels better.

Basically you have to make yourself workout and eat healthy, you aren't going to magically feel like running a,marathon one day. It takes time.
  • daniellesease
    daniellesease Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I know that if I want this, I really need to “suck it up” and just do what needs to be done. :-) I have really changed what I've been eating, and I've been making sure I get some sort of exercise done throughout the day. I just need to kick it up a notch soon, and continue to do so. It does make it harder knowing that my age and weight is a disadvantage, and I'm hoping that I can do what you said; prove them wrong.
  • This is not the official website for the Navy but its information is correct. http://www.navy-prt.com/navyprtcalculator.html .
    I hope this helps. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. Joined at age 17 and still on active duty.

Dave