Running and turbofire?

Options
Hi

I am running three times a week at the moment on a 0-5k program, and I don't want to lose the progress I've made and have to start this again sometime.

However, I am planning to start Turbofire this week. So my question is, should I carry on running or will turbofire on its own enable me to increase that running fitness? And if I do both, do I substitute the runs for a turbofire day or try and do both? (not sure about fining the time...)

Any experiences or advice, please?

Thanks

Replies

• Prettygirl150
    Prettygirl150 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been watching youtube videos with people talking about turbofire and I'm noticing that people do other activities around it ... I say keep with your schedule, but if you start to get overwhelmed just cut back on one of them ... only know how much you can handle.
  • tzur21
    tzur21 Posts: 29
    Options
    Turbo Fire will NOT substitue your training for your run. If you are working up to a 5K I suggest you stick to your training program. And squeeze in Turbo Fire where you can.
  • crystallight711
    crystallight711 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I did not do both at the same time, but folowwing Turbofire has significantly improved my cardio endurance! Last spring, I had decided to start running. I've never been an athlete and certainly not a runner, but I wanted to give it a try. When I started I was only able to run a block before slowing or stopping. I eventually worked my way up to 3 miles after many weeks of almost daily runs. While about the time I was able to do 3 miles without stopping, it got hot and since I met my running goal I stopped and did not work out for months! I started Turbofire at the end of November and recently finished the 20 week program. Anyway, since the weather is nice again, I decided to go for a run Saturday and I was able to go the full 3 miles and at a personal best time even though I had not ran for 8+ months. I went for a 2 mile run on Tuesday after 30 minutes of Turbofire and still had an amazing run and great time.
    I say do what feel comfortable to you. When I started the program though, there would be no way I could do Turbo and get a run in. If you are going to substitute a run for a Turbofire workout, I would only sub it for a fire program of similair length, but make sure you get the Turbo HIITS in.
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I do both. Usually I will do Turbo Fire in the morning and another workout in the afternoon/evening. Or some days I will flop and do Turbo Fire after work. I think the endurance I'm building frm Turbo Fire is helping me feel less winded, at least. I think if you can make the time in your schedule, there is no problem doing both. On weekends I'll go for a run first and then do Turbo Fire afterwards and I havent had any issues. :) Great extra calorie burn, too!
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    ive had similar experience to butterfly, I've also never been a runner or exerciser (until 2 years ago) and started running 2 to 3 times a week and got up to where I could go a few miles without stopping, but the weather got cold and wet and I found out I'm NOT a cold weather runner, so I stopped altogether and wasn't working out for awhile. Picked up turbofire in the end of Jan- Hadn't run at all until two weeks ago and after my usual stop and go first mile I was able to run a couple of miles comfortably without stopping, so the TF definitely kept up some of my cardio endurance but isn't comparable to running. I definitely felt more tired during running than I used to. If I were you, you'll have have to choose what's more important- the running or the TF schedule? I'd stick to the running 3 days a week and do the TF around it. maybe swap the running for a FIRE day on the schedule?
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've been running 3ish miles twice a week in addition to Turbo Fire. I'm trying to do 5K training with the double stroller right now and I'm supposed to be doing intervals with that 3x a week. I definitely found it easier to fit in a run with the HIIT part of the program, now I'm in the cardio phase and the workouts are longer. But like someone else said, I do Turbo while the kids nap then run in the evening. Hoping as the weather warms up I can do a run with the stroller in the AM, then Turbo when my husband gets home at night (as my daughter doesn't always nap anymore)

ETA: Turbo Fire will help with the running, but definitely do separate run workouts to keep up. I notice a huge difference when I take time off from running workouts.
  • Abs1929
    Abs1929 Posts: 5
    Options
    thanks for posting this! I was having the same questions as well!
  • actiontime26
    actiontime26 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't run, I do a other sport, rollerblade. Since I do a lot of it, I subtitute my cardio day with my rollerblade session ( since I don't got time and the will to do all that workout in a day). But I still follow my schedule, on the stretch and HIIT day, I do them.