lighter = faster. Want to drop 5-10 more?

Options
Twomirrors
Twomirrors Posts: 47 Member
Hi all,

I just finished Tyler Hamilton's book, and one of the things he said is that he'd rather lose three pounds than gain 3 hematocrit points. He says being lighter is the key to being faster on a bike.

The closet bike racer in me wants to get under 150lbs after reading that. I'm 155-160 right now. Anyone out there want to join me in dropping 5-10lbs by June 1st? I'm at my goal weight, but lighter is faster, and I want to be faster!

Add me as a friend!

Thanks. =)

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It's a trade off though. You don't want to lose muscle and lose upper body strength, then the technical stuff is harder if you mountain bike, which I got that impression from another post. (I'm slow as **** so 5lbs won't do anything for me, but this is something my husband who races has been dealing with).
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm about 4 pounds from my goal weight, so I'm already working on it! (though 16% body fat, I've still got a fair bit of fat that I can afford to lose)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I lost a whole pound just getting shut of my Filofax and using a mini-diary instead!

I'm 14lbs off my initial target; looking forward to warmer weather to get some miles in; cycling and outdoor swimming.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Losing weight worked pretty well for Bradley Wiggins too.....

I'm in a conflict over weight - I'd like to be lighter for a century ride in the summer but I also like being the weight I am now.
    Perhaps the answer to my quandary is what people on MFP often refer to as "loose weight" - quickly detachable for cycling and then reattach for strength training?
    :wink:
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck on that too. Being 6'1", I'm happy at 190 but the cyclist in me want to be 180 for that extra something up the hills. We'll see what happens now that spring is here and I can get 3 good rides in a week.
  • Twomirrors
    Twomirrors Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty happy at the weight I'm at, but I'm pretty sure there's another 5lbs I could ditch in time for 12 hours of mtb on June 25th. It's a good point someone made about losing muscle, but I've got more than enough of that. Genetics of a body builder... mindset of a cyclist... Thanks to those who friended me. Let's do this!
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a very slow 1.5 pound a month loss the last two months now. I'm too focused on upping the intensity for racing season starting in two weeks to lose major weight.

If I can sustain that slow loss, I should have lost those last few pounds for the rather hilly PA State Masters TT in July.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the answer to my quandary is what people on MFP often refer to as "loose weight" - quickly detachable for cycling and then reattach for strength training?
    :wink:

oh this is perfect