Why do I end up in the infamous "Friend Zone????"

Options
MelodyinGa
MelodyinGa Posts: 202 Member
Sick, sick, sick of ending up in the FZ with guys. I know that I am a larger woman, but WTH??? Before comments, I understand that "some guys like larger women" and to that I say ***** bull********. He can be overweight and balding...but wants Barbie. Maybe we text or talk too much before we meet? But, I kinda like to know if we have interest. These guys are primarily guys I've met online. I post recent pics, full body shots and all. But for some reason...there's no attraction for them. I mean I don't always have attraction for them either.....Hell, Idk... Guys....can you shed some insight????

Replies

• Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I will generally put people in the friend zone if:
    a. I'm just not attracted to them, but like hanging out with them
    b. They act like a guy around me, ie. they burp, fart, do stupid ****, make poop jokes, etc.
    c. They've dated one of my good friends seriously
    d. There is just no "spark" (and that is very important but often cannot be explained).
    e. I am seeing someone else.
    f. If our views are too different concerning politics, religion, having kids, wanting pets, or any of the other important stuff.

Sounds like yours falls under (d). It's tough to give any insight without knowing you, but I'm generally attracted to women that are good at flirting, dress sexy (not too slutty), genuinely nice and sweet, laugh at my jokes, and confident with themselves. Or maybe it just wasn't meant to be.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I agree on the spark - maybe you should meet them earlier so you don't get your hopes up? I used to take about a month to meet people that I talked to online, we would talk on the phone, text etc till I felt like they were worth giving some in-person time. Most of the time I was disappointed because I had built up this whole thing in my head and then we had zero chemistry in person. So I've changed that a bit - talk a little online or text, but meet very soon. I'm still not into a lot of them, but at least it eliminates that buildup so I'm not super disappointed you know? YOU should have them in the friendzone before meeting too, and if it doesn't work just shrug it off, onto the next!
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I've found that the couple of times I've dated women that I classified into the friend zone was because there was just no attraction there. They were very flirty and I didn't know how to tell them I wasn't interested so I kind of eased them a little into friendship.

Honestly, I was afraid I'd hurt their feelings if I said I wasn't attracted or there wasn't any chemistry.
  • MelodyinGa
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the insight. I think too being an extreme extrovert maybe a little much for some. I really liked the idea of meeting more quickly too. After reading my original post...I sound kinda pathetic. I'm really not!! I have alot going for me in life, but this dating stuff throws me off a little bit doing so again at my age.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the insight. I think too being an extreme extrovert maybe a little much for some. I really liked the idea of meeting more quickly too. After reading my original post...I sound kinda pathetic. I'm really not!! I have alot going for me in life, but this dating stuff throws me off a little bit doing so again at my age.

don't be so hard on yourself. sounds like you are an awesome and genuine person :flowerforyou:

unfortunately with men, sometimes less is more. try to find a balance between being down to earth and being one of the guys, being talkative and boring, etc. :smile:
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    unfortunately with men, sometimes less is more. try to find a balance between being down to earth and being one of the guys, being talkative and boring, etc. :smile:

^ ^ Truth.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

don't be so hard on yourself. sounds like you are an awesome and genuine person :flowerforyou:

We like to chase a little, so don't be overzealous...but don't run too fast to where we can't catch you.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I've often said I should write a book titled "How To Become Friend Zoned" so women will know what not to do :grumble:

Being a girl who likes video games and sports, I have always had a lot of guy friends, but none who are attracted to me. They tell me I'm awesome, but that they have no interest in dating me. I don't burp or fart or anything (like the poster above said) in front of anyone at all (even my ONE ex). I'm shy, but I'll warm up once I know you're not going to bite my head off, that we'll get along, and if you don't completely intimidate me.

I throw myself out there, and tend to fall fast, but I still have zero expectations just because of my history with being friend zoned. I dunno what we're doing wrong, but you're not alone :P Ah well.
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I am the QUEEN of the friend zone. Gonna get it tattooed across my forehead.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I've often said I should write a book titled "How To Become Friend Zoned" so women will know what not to do :grumble:

Isn't this already a movie? 'He's just not that into you.'?
  • fullofwhimsy
    Options
    I used to be friend zoned more when I was younger (high school/university moreso). The big changes I think I probably made were regarding attraction, sexuality, flirtation and perceived femininity.
    This was probably about a decade ago. Or more. I am more confident now and know myself better..and I honestly think that is the biggest part.

Attraction - lost some weight, let my hair grow longer, started dressing much more feminine. I put in significant effort for my appearance each and every day.
    I feel better about my body, and I do look better the thinner I get.
    Perceived femininity - I like to play up the difference between me and a man. Physically this does mean heels and makeup etc. for me.. but I am also very adamant about not playing down my feminine side just to fit into a man's life. I have done this many times, and find myself going from mentioning a mild interest in sports to being the go-to girl for hockey game watching..and not in a sexy way.. at all. Now, if I am coming over to watch a game, I make sure I am dressed nicely and have perfume on and bring a bottle of wine and talk about other things during breaks, where previously I might have rolled in wearing yoga pants with a bag of chips, wanting to show I knew the game too.

Sexuality/flirtation - I don't hide it at all and I do all of the subtle and non-subtle flirtation techniques a girl could do! I used to be shy....so honestly, I practiced till it became second nature. I moved from meeting men and thinking "he could be a good friend" to "am I attracted to him possibly? If not.. then he can be a friend". It changed my focus and how I see men..which in turn affected how I act around them (when I'm single anyway).
  • nolachick
    Options
    hmnmm I do all the feminine stuff, I had never been friend zoned in my life and then it happened a few months ago :noway:

I was a complete girly girl, laid on all the hints, etc.....either he was just not that into me or....just not that into girls. lol. idk
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

Isn't this already a movie? 'He's just not that into you.'?

Hmm this is true :tongue:
  • fullofwhimsy
    Options
    hmnmm I do all the feminine stuff, I had never been friend zoned in my life and then it happened a few months ago :noway:

I was a complete girly girl, laid on all the hints, etc.....either he was just not that into me or....just not that into girls. lol. idk

Oh yeah...it happens ALL the time. We can try and be exactly what we think any man would want or just be ourselves..and sometimes he is just not into you, and vice versa. LOL
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I will generally put people in the friend zone if:
    a. I'm just not attracted to them, but like hanging out with them
    b. They act like a guy around me, ie. they burp, fart, do stupid ****, make poop jokes, etc.
    c. They've dated one of my good friends seriously
    d. There is just no "spark" (and that is very important but often cannot be explained).
    e. I am seeing someone else.
    f. If our views are too different concerning politics, religion, having kids, wanting pets, or any of the other important stuff.

Sounds like yours falls under (d). It's tough to give any insight without knowing you, but I'm generally attracted to women that are good at flirting, dress sexy (not too slutty), genuinely nice and sweet, laugh at my jokes, and confident with themselves. Or maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

Great list of reasons. I would FZ a guy for all of those too!!

I have lots of male friends. It's rare that I actually fancy someone! So, take heart, you've just not met the right guy yet :flowerforyou:
  • MelodyinGa
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not alone in this....

I think I'm confused about the difference between chasing a man and letting him chase you....is texting him first once in a while considered chasing even though he responds quickly?
  • tx_angel77
    tx_angel77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this one too. I've never been FZ but, I tend to have a problem with the guy losing interest the instant he know's I'm all in. If he chases me and he catches me, I agree to date him exclusively and then it tends to fall apart. It's as if he finally won the race, now on to the next. If I refuse to date them alone they chase harder. I don't get it!
  • nolachick
    Options
    I'm with you on this one too. I've never been FZ but, I tend to have a problem with the guy losing interest the instant he know's I'm all in. If he chases me and he catches me, I agree to date him exclusively and then it tends to fall apart. It's as if he finally won the race, now on to the next. If I refuse to date them alone they chase harder. I don't get it!

funny I just had this conversation with a girl friend last night. he chased the first month, I think they are exclusive now and now....very low interest on his part atleast that's what she told me. MEN...tsk tsk
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Funny I do the whole guys girl thing (though I normally wear tank top) and I've not been FZ since like middle school.. Don't get me wrong there been guys that I have gone out with or hung out with once or twice and we both decided we made better friends (just no spark ect) but I've never had a guy I'm into FZ me..... I don't do straight girly though..... I am a definant mix of tom boy and girly girl ..... I will wear heals and make up but I'll also show up to watch a game in some yoga pants and a tank top.......
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    It's a little unfair to say all guys want a Barbie. I'd much rather plow her younger sister Skipper. Maybe that's just me though.