just got home from doctor

Options
mamosh81
mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
i am so relived last month i finaly went to the doctor and asked about PCOS, after having the sympthoms for close to 10 years now, because my friend who was diagnosed with it several years ago kicked my *kitten* into doing so.
Today i got my blood test results and comes out i have both type of PCOS the one with hormon inbalance and the insulin resistend one and on top of that my tyroid is not working proberly.
Starting on metformin and provera treatment today for the next 4 months then blood test again so excited to see what those 4 months bring for me

Replies

• Tamicejl
    Tamicejl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Good for you ... to at least have an answer. I didn't do tooooo well on the pervera.... hope things are better for you. Add me if you need a shoulder.
  • mamosh81
    Options
    yeah been going to diffrent doctors for the passed 10 years doing all kinds of tests and they never could tell me what the hell is wrong with me just always was something off on my bloodwork im sooo glad to finaly have answeres and know what the heck is going on.
    I took 10 days of provera last month because they wanted to do the bloodwork while i was menstruating and with only having it once a year we kinda had to kick start it. Was doing fine on it just cramps when i stopped it. But im willing to do anything to get better and finaly feel like a women again =)
  • ladyshands
    Options
    are you trying to conceive? I was only on provera to bring on my cycle so I could start drugs to get pregnant.. otherwise, all you really need is birth control to jump start you each month... I hated that stuff! (provera)... the periods were the worst. if you dont have to use it, dont.
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    So happy you got a diagnosis... that's the only way to combat this thing. It's amazing how many doctors aren't exposed to PCOS/insulin resistance, and more so how many don't care to treat it. I had success on Metformin last year, but I stopped taking it for no reason. I've started taking it again this week. My only advice is to avoid alcohol while you're on it! Good luck!
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    glad you got the answers you need. Heres to a good doctor!:drinker:
  • mamosh81
    Options
    are you trying to conceive? I was only on provera to bring on my cycle so I could start drugs to get pregnant.. otherwise, all you really need is birth control to jump start you each month... I hated that stuff! (provera)... the periods were the worst. if you dont have to use it, dont.

not trying to conceive but i been on bc from 13 till 19 then i stopped and thats when my problems started didnt have a regular mensa since then, i am 31 now, so dont really want to take bc at the moment till i get all the other problems sorted out

doing this for 4 months then i have to come in for more bloodwork then i can still see if i want to switch to bc or stay on provera
  • mamosh81
    Options
    thank you thank you! Yes i am so glad, happy and relieved i could just scream it out in the world. Glad i found this place just little over a month ago. Was getting so frustrating with constantly doctors telling you nothing is wrong but they cant tell you why you not menstruating why your male hormon count was high why your white bloodcell count is high and so on.

Happy there is some competent doctors out there and to all the other who suspect to have pcos but the docs are not doing anything switch doctors keep trying keep pushing for answeres you will feel so much better once you have them!

and no problem with alcohol there i pretty much stopped drinking any alcohol over one year ago.
  • gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem finding doctors who could help. They knew something was wrong, but couldn't tell me why. I'm thirty six years old and have acne like a teenager. Something is clearly wrong.

Good for you for sticking with it and getting the diagnosis figured out! Hopefully, you'll have less trouble finding effective treatments than you had getting a diagnosis in the first place.

If you find that your obgyn or primary care doctor is less than helpful, an endocrinologist, or a reproductive endocrinologist (even if you're not trying to conceive) can be a very helpful alternative.
  • mamosh81
    Options
    I had the same problem finding doctors who could help. They knew something was wrong, but couldn't tell me why. I'm thirty six years old and have acne like a teenager. Something is clearly wrong.

Good for you for sticking with it and getting the diagnosis figured out! Hopefully, you'll have less trouble finding effective treatments than you had getting a diagnosis in the first place.

If you find that your obgyn or primary care doctor is less than helpful, an endocrinologist, or a reproductive endocrinologist (even if you're not trying to conceive) can be a very helpful alternative.

yeah endocrnologist would of been my next step if that one failed and today im going to make an appointment at a new house doctor for my tyroid because the current one i had it tested 3 yrs ago and he said it was fine but my white bloodcells was already high back then.

I know what you mean with the acne for the passed 2 yrs i been having it really bad to lucky not the face but my neck looks like a mine field its so annoying and disgusting

"edit"
    What really helped me was my friend who was diagnosed with pcos 8 yrs ago she kept kicking my *kitten* about going since she had the exact same sympthoms as me. And the good news she just had her 3rd baby last month!!! So there is hope for all the pcosers who try to consieve
  • ColleenRep
    ColleenRep Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Glad you a gotten the answers you need!!! It took me going threw several doctors to get my answers. The first OBGYN told me that she would only run the tests if I wanted to get pregnant! I couldn't believe that answer so I found a new doctor.
  • mamosh81
    Options
    Glad you a gotten the answers you need!!! It took me going threw several doctors to get my answers. The first OBGYN told me that she would only run the tests if I wanted to get pregnant! I couldn't believe that answer so I found a new doctor.

wow what a bad doctors really cant believe how many bad and uninformed doctors are out there you dont notice it till you need some real answeres and not just a routin checkup