Quad Test... NTD "High Risk" Results

Options
_ylime_
_ylime_ Posts: 661 Member
Hi All,

I was just wondering if any of you had the quad test done; mine was last week and I got the call yesterday that I was "high risk" for neural tube defects. They are setting up a level II ultrasound asap. I am worried sick about this. I know it is just a screening test, but it is still difficult to stay calm. I have another call into my doctor to find out a bit more, I was in shock yesterday when I spoke to he so I really didn't ask all the question I should have....

Any advice... etc. ?

Replies

• laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of false positives for those tests....I didn't get any of them done other than the normal ultrasound for the anatomy scan. I spent the first half of my pregnancy in another country where it is not standard practice to do all of that prenatal testing. But even if I had been here during the first half, I would have opted out of them. So many people I know, including family members, have had false positives on some of the prenatal tests and all of them have had normal, completely healthy babies.
  • _ylime_
    Options
    Thank you. I really considered not having it done... becuase I knew I would be a mess if it came back "positive" (even though I know better, and I know how small a chance there is for something to actually be wrong...).

I have my L2 scan next week, if that looks good I am opting out of all the other tests... this is too much.

Thansk again. :flowerforyou:
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I've never done any of the extra tests for the same reasons, so I am not much help with experience, but I wanted to pop in and offer positive thoughts and prayers headed your way. Good Luck at the L2 Scan!
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that you got such stressful news!!! I second that those tests are high on the false positives, but I know that doesn't help much. I just had mine done, mostly because I wanted to see the baby, and I am slightly nervous for poor results.

I hope that your ultrasound puts your mind at ease. Keep us updated. :)
  • _ylime_
    Options
    Thanks ladies :flowerforyou:
  • _ylime_
    Options
    Thanks again for everyone's positive thoughts and kind words! We got the L2 ultrasound and despite my "off the chart numbers" and terrible odds (1:5, compared to 1:50,000)... the baby looks perfect... (we also got to find out it is a girl!). So if any of you get some scary news from the quad test, or any of those tests, just remember I had about the worst odds possible and our little one is doing great. They are not really sure why my numbers are so off, she may be a week or two older than we thought, I may produce proteins differently, or my placenta may be "under-performing" so we just need to keep an eye on everything...

*we do have to go for frequent L2 ultrasounds to be on the safe side... to monitor growth etc.... but the doctor said to think of myself as extra lucky becuase we get to see her every 2-4 weeks...

Thanks again, all of the comments, and messages really helped me get through a challenging week. :flowerforyou:
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    That's great news. Hope everything continues to go well.
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    What a relief! Happy to hear things are good- hope your pregnancy continues smoothly from now on!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Great news! And you are definitely lucky to get to see her every 2-4 weeks! In this pregnancy and my last one, I only saw the baby on the confirmation ultrasound (when they don't look like much more than a little bean) and on the 20-week ultrasound (I passed on the 12-week testing for various reasons). I know that's a good thing, that I haven't needed to have any more ultrasounds than that, but I admit that it would be pretty cool to get another look at my baby, since it's been about 14 weeks...
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hooray! Glad to hear all is well - and it is a blessing to see your little girl more often! I've thought about going in for an elective u/s just because I want to see my little guy again.
  • _ylime_
    Options
    Thank you SOOOO much everyone! :flowerforyou: It is really wonderful to have such a great group for support here on MFP! :flowerforyou:
  • jaylas_mom21
    jaylas_mom21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    That's great news! I think my baby is perfect but am terrified of getting a false positive result!