Steroids and Weight Gain

Options
Hello,

I'm new to the group. I've had MS diagnosed since 2003, but in reality I've had it since I was 16. When I have flare ups they're pretty severe, but I've always refused steroids until a bout with optic neuritis in 2011. In January, I had a really severe one (couldn't write, type, walk....) and had to take them to get back to work. Now, my Dr. put me on 1gm of IVSM once a month for the next 6 months. I've gained 5 pounds since the first infusion 3 weeks ago, but I haven't been eating differently. Has anyone had this/combated this? I feel like my metabolism changed or something. I'm dieting and exercising now that I can, but my calorie intake was never high in the first place - you can only cut so much off of 1500/day.

Thanks,
Shannon

Replies

• katiewondergirlie
    Options
    Steroids of any kind can cause your blood glucose levels to spike. Especially with the IV steroids and then that spike might not be going back down the levels you once had. If you're going to be taking them once a month for awhile you might ask your doc about having your blood sugar checked and if you might be able to monitor it on your own throughout the month. I might suggest cutting down on some carbs and replacing them with some protein like cottage cheese or a little extra chicken or tofu in your stirfry could help. Also not sure what your body composition is but doing some kind of exercise to develop more muscle mass will help your body regulate the carbs you do eat into good energy rather faster than just letting the pancreas kind of wonder what exactly it is supposed to be doing. Hope that helps somewhat. My guess is that you're probably not too far off and your metabolism has really changed.
  • sed1217
    sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't have much information to offer myself, but hope that you're feeling better soon :-)
  • bxshannon
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice. I went to Pilates yesterday to try to get some strength back - rough after no exercise but gentle yoga for 4 months! I'll definitely look into upping my protein as well.
  • rachelroma
    rachelroma Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Steroids are no fun. I gained 10 kg (about 22 lbs, I think) on 4 months of oral steroids a couple years ago. I switched doctors and my new doc told me I should have been on a strict low card, low saturated fat diet limiting even rice and whole grains while on steroids. Not only did steroids raise my glucose, but also cholesterol. These are the two things they kept checking me for and they did go up. The only exception was to eat a banana every other day or so to keep potassium levels up (apparently steroids can mess with potassium and electrolytes?). I eventually started a paleo-ish diet basically eating meat and veggies and I lost all of that weight in a few months.

Pilates and yoga are great! :)
  • chandy2809
    chandy2809 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I gained two stone whilst on steroids orally and Iv - but i wasnt excersiing or dieting properly to help combat this gain. I joined Slimming world last Jan and lost 2 stone....even when i was on oral and IV steroids for a bit :-) Im now stuck in a rut of not losing but not gaining either. I have what they diagnosed as orbital myosytis - eye muscle swelling up and have been hospitalised on 1g of pred for three days then on oral steroids for two/three months - 6 times over the past two years. They now think its possibly optic neuritus - the nerve swelling. no one seems to know whats going on with me though as i now have other symtpoms that are assciated with MS but they arent sure. ... someone give me an answer!!! Hope you feel better soon! i know how you feel! x
  • bxshannon
    Options
    I feel your pain. My knee swells up to the size of a softball and no one can say why. I didn't injure it, I've had XRay's and all that jazz - they still have no idea. Must be related to MS...
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight the 1st time I was put on high doses of steroids. But the last time they put me on it for a 3 day stint followed by once a month (I was terrified to gain weight again after having lost 30 lbs) a nutritionist suggested to me I increase the protien I ate & lower the carbs & I did alright thankfully so that may also work for you. Couln't hurt to try at least.