New Member- Recently Diagnosed- Pursuing Paleo Lifestyle

Options
Hi Everyone!

I am new to all this! I am 27 years old, married almost 2 years. I just recently got diagnosed with PCOS after I had a 3 week period, told my doctor I had been off BC for 6 months and haven't gotten pregnant. We aren't TTC, but it was odd that it hadn't happened anyways. I read an article recently citing that the Paleo diet has had a good impact on people with PCOS, so I thought I'd try it.

My thoughts so far?

Its complicated, haha, and expensive, but two weeks in and I'm 3 lbs down, so I feel like I should see where this train leads me.

Disclaimer: its really not THAT much more expensive, from what I see. I dont spend all that money on grains, cheeses, milk, etc, so I just redirect my budget toward meats and vegetables, but it is a bit expensive.

Connect with me if you want, I would love to talk about the adjustments necessary (coming to grips with the "I" word has been a struggle for me), or if you are trying the paleo thing, I would be interested to see what the impact has been on your PCOS and ability to conceive. Eventually I would like to conceive, so I figure I might as well start figuring this out now, haha!

Replies

• atrjohnson
    atrjohnson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to conceive but my diet floats between paleo and low carb. I am really bad as I use the weekend for my splurge time. I know it hsould not be done this way. On the weekends is when I am out so I definitely have a tendency to have some type of bread. My cycle is still struggling to regulate it self and thus far I go from regular one month to two cycles the next month and vice versa. I will saythat my skin has cleared up and my energy level did go up. I don't have a favorite paleo recipe but I love a good crustless quiche. I had it for lunch today with my salad. My blood pressure, sugar level, and testosterone level have normalized as well.
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    Hello,

Welcome to the group and welcome to life with PCOS. I myself was just diagnosed about two months ago and have been researching and making lifestyle changes. I was trying to conceive with no luck for 8 months when I was diagnosed. Now I am on Metformin and if we haven't conceived in another 4 months I will be going on Clomid.

I eat simular to the Paleo Lifestyle, and simular to Low Carb I say I eat Low Glycemic Index. I have been successful in these last 2 months down 27 lbs.

Good Luck with your Journey and learning how to live with PCOS.
  • kpelky
    kpelky Posts: 13
    Options
    So, in my quest to find out more information, I stumbled across this article: http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/10/10/2705.short

Very interesting, and good news!

The interesting part is that drugs weren't part of the study. That means that even without drugs, significant weight loss can result in ovulation and conception with an ~85% success rate.

Also, this specifically mentions some studies regarding PCOS. http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/26/9/2505.full.pdf+html

Interesting articles, and I will continue to try to find more information.
  • kpelky
    Options
    WifeofPJ-

Thanks! I hope you are successful in your goal if conceiving. Also, congrats on losing 27 lbs!! Thats wonderful!

Let me know if you know of any good paleo recipes that are awesome!

My first paleo baking project (cranberry orange scones) were a complete and utter failure. In fact, it was funny how awful they were! I tried to eat them just out of pure stubbornness but I just couldn't!

My next attempt were paleo pancakes, and actually they turned out pretty good. They were kinda similar to regular pancakes, but a lot more hearty and more dense. Those are good and bad things depending on what you like, but I was pleased with the results, haha, especially after my first debacle with the scones!

Thanks for the message!
  • kpelky
    Options
    atrjohnson-

Do you have that crustless quiche recipe? I might be able to tweak it to get it to "paleo" status. I'm learning a lot about tweaking recipes, haha!

I feel like a crustless quiche is pretty close to paleo anyways, so it shouldn't be that difficult.

I think being out and about is the hardest part of sticking to paleo/low carb/whatever diet you are on. I feel like everything nowadays either had hidden sugar, salt, or hormones/chemicals. It's frustrating to no end! There needs to be fast food options that aren't going to completely kill my nutritional requirements for the day!
  • cdngrl81
    cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I am new to all this! I am 27 years old, married almost 2 years. I just recently got diagnosed with PCOS after I had a 3 week period, told my doctor I had been off BC for 6 months and haven't gotten pregnant. We aren't TTC, but it was odd that it hadn't happened anyways. I read an article recently citing that the Paleo diet has had a good impact on people with PCOS, so I thought I'd try it.

My thoughts so far?

Its complicated, haha, and expensive, but two weeks in and I'm 3 lbs down, so I feel like I should see where this train leads me.

Disclaimer: its really not THAT much more expensive, from what I see. I dont spend all that money on grains, cheeses, milk, etc, so I just redirect my budget toward meats and vegetables, but it is a bit expensive.

Connect with me if you want, I would love to talk about the adjustments necessary (coming to grips with the "I" word has been a struggle for me), or if you are trying the paleo thing, I would be interested to see what the impact has been on your PCOS and ability to conceive. Eventually I would like to conceive, so I figure I might as well start figuring this out now, haha!

Wow, reading your post is like I am looking in the mirror. I was recently diagnosed as well after 6 mos of being unable to conceive and missing 3 periods. My husband and I have been married for 2 1/2 years and decided to try to get pregnant without knowing that there would be any difficulty. I tried 30 days of Primal eating last April and lost 8 lbs in that time. I stopped after that and thought that I would continue losing weight using the calorie in calorie out method like a lot of people do. But I gained back the weight I had lost and a little bit more and didnt understand what I was doing wrong. I felt like it was my fault and it made me so unhappy. It eases my mind to know there is a reason that it is so difficult for me to lose weight and I switched back to Primal 80% (just this past Monday). So my doctor would like to try all other methods before she writes a prescription for any medications, so she said I should try to lose 16lbs (to get to a healthy weight) and see if that jump starts ovulation and my period. I also have a pelvic ultrasound in a few weeks (which I am VERY nervous about). I am so happy I found a group that will give me the information and support I need right now. :happy:
  • atrjohnson
    atrjohnson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I never stick exactly to a recipe. I make it once and then figure out what I want to twek. Below is closest to the first one I like and tweaked. I generally like using heavy cream instead of milk, at least 10 eggs, and 1-1.5 cups of veggies. . I use a 9 inch deep dish pie crust and I usually take quiche for lunch with my salad.

http://www.slashfood.com/2008/02/29/weekend-brunch-an-easy-crustless-quiche/
  • springsporong
    springsporong Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I want to give you hope. I was diagnosed with PCOS when TTC with my first child. We tried for a year and I would go 70+ days between AFs. With my first I tried clomed and I was pregnant that first try. Had a healthy pregnancy. I put on 40 lbs with this pregnancy.
    When she was 8 months old I got pregnant. We weren't trying. It ended in miscarriage at 8 weeks. After that we did begin trying. After 4 months of no pregnancy I tried clomid again and got pregnant the first month, ended in miscarriage at 6 weeks - there was never a heart beat. A second round did not work. The third round I was pregnant and ended in miscarriage again, 9 weeks. I did not want to move on to other medications or try other means of getting pregnant. Instead after the last miscarriage I started a low GI diet which is a lot like Paelo (it wasn't popular back then or at least I never heard of it). I ate the low GI very strict for a month. I lost 15 lbs, I think because all the "bad" carbs were out of my system. At the end of that month I was pregnant again (one month after the 3rd miscarriage) and it became a full term pregnancy. My daughter was 1 1/2 at this point. Again, healthy baby, no complications.
    After my son was born my husband and I were not that careful with protection. We figured it's hard for me to get pregnant. When my son was 8 months old he just stopped nursing and I took a pregnancy test - I actually just got my first AF post pregnancy... It was positive. I was positive it was going to end in m/c but it didn't. I gave birth to my 3rd child, full term pregnancy again, when my oldest was 3 1/2 and my second was 17 months. I had 3 children in 3 1/2 years. Meds helped with the first one but I think it was diet and my weight that helped with the next two. I was still eating pretty healthy after DS was born, I didn't put on that much weight with his pregnant (20lbs), and I was lower in weight post-pregnancy than I was when I first got pregnant. With my last pregnancy I only put on 13 lbs (I was over weight and my midwife was never worried about my weight gain - my DD was born 10 lbs). I followed The Bradley Method for birth and diet. After 3rd child was born I was at my lowest weight in years and nursing only helped keep the weight off. Then things in my life got stressful and I put on 30lbs nearly over night. With PCOS it's harder to lose, and I am here to lose that 30 lbs (and I hope more). I really find that staying away from the carbs helps a ton. I am trying to eat more paleo as well. I have been tracking my food for 3 weeks and I'm down 11 lbs and I really think it's because I cut out a lot of grains and I'm trying to eat as paleo as possible. I am not 100% paleo because I think it would be way too hard with 3 kids under 6 and the cost. However, I would say that I am following it about 80% - I just eat corn tortillas and have milk and cheese, but other than that it's pretty paleo.
    Oh, I also take suplements to help with hormones. I am not on BC. And, ever since my 3rd child was born and my AF came back at about 5 months PP I have been VERY regular. The most regular I have been my entire life, even with the 30lb weight gain. I can say though, that my last AF, being 10 lbs lighter, it was much shorter and much less painful. I hope with more weight loss my AFs will be "normal".
    Good luck. You will get pregnant, you will lose weight. I think Paelo is a good idea.
  • ftapp
    ftapp Posts: 2
    Options
    You just got yourself a fan, kpelky!
  • lilsweetslol
    lilsweetslol Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I Was diagnosed with PCOS over four years ago. Struggling with the slow weight gain no matter what I ate or how hard i worked out. In 2005 i weighed 130 (5'4) now im up to 178!
    Last year I had great success with Paleo-All natural, no milk , no dairy etc. I managed to lose 20 lbs in a three month period! It even got my cycles back on track. However I fell into old eating patterns and well, here i am again!
    I did have some awesome luck using all natural products, which follows a low carb eating plan, shakes and supplements. I started it March 5th this year and Im taking my weight n measurements tomorrow. I lost 10 lbs as of last week and over 10 inches! !!
    I think the low carb and even no dairy works awesome for us PCOS ladies. My hubby and i have been TTC for 4 years with no luck.
    I hadnt had a cycle since December 2012. Since i started this all natural product i finally got a cycle this month. Fingers crossed i keep losing and we get blessed one of these days..
    If you do Paleo keep it as natural as possible, no processed foods, artifical anything. dont do cheat days either. and always drink at least half your body weight in ounces per day to flush all that junk out of you.
    If you want to learn more about the all natural products add me or message me. I wish everyone the best on beating this disease.
    xoxo Christine~