Supplements and Protein Shakes?

Options
lrobson555
lrobson555 Posts: 97 Member
Does anyone doing Turbo Fire use supplements or protein shakes?

I know that it is recommended to use Shakeology, but I live in the UK and can't get that.

Do you think it really aids your body, and if so, what do you use?

Replies

• denise33027
    denise33027 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I saw Dr. Oz say that 30 grams of protein in the morning can make a big difference. I decided to try it, and it is true. I do my TF work out at 4:30 AM, after that I put some GNC Lean 25 protien powder, a banana and .5 cup of mixed berries in a blender. It is 29 grams of protein, a bit higher in calories than a lot of breakfasts, but it works for me!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I do have a bag of Shakeology and I have it occasionally. It's too expensive so I'm not going to keep buying it, though I do like it. I'd like to be able to get my nutrients from real food though. Meal replacement shakes are great for something fast and easy sometimes. I drink protein shakes after strength training.
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    Protein is very good for you, especially when you are working out. I don't do the shakeology but I do however have a smoothie for breakfast every morning where I use soy milk, fresh fruit {I mix it up day to day} and sometimes I will add in other things like Spinach leaves or coconut... etc. Every other day I will put in some of my GNC Soy protein 95 powder, along with a tablespoon of flax seed. Usually runs me about 250-350 calories but keeps me full and also gives me that extra boost to start my day so that by the time I do my TF {which is late afternoon, after work} im not totally tired like I normally would have been before I started eating healthy.
  • Jaidnoire
    Jaidnoire Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know this post is way old but I think I can agree with the protein shakes. I don't do shakeology either ($$$$$) so I just use a whey protein. Usually the shake is had after my evening workout and I started them from TF day 1. I was actually wondering if I was working hard enough, as I wasn't **really** feeling as next-day-sore as I thought I should.

Then there were two days when I was too tired / ate back too many other calories and didn't have the shake. When I woke up the next day, I felt like I was hit by a truck - no difference in workout or intensity. What I read is that the protein is essential for muscle repair...

Anyone else have this experience?
  • lremi
    lremi Posts: 59
    Options
    I drink a whey shake after every workout to help with soreness and recovery. It does wonders!
  • kaszay
    kaszay Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was actually wondering if I was working hard enough, as I wasn't **really** feeling as next-day-sore as I thought I should.

Then there were two days when I was too tired / ate back too many other calories and didn't have the shake. When I woke up the next day, I felt like I was hit by a truck - no difference in workout or intensity. What I read is that the protein is essential for muscle repair...

Anyone else have this experience?

I've noticed the same feeling. Last 2 days i had a protein shake after workout and feel brand new next morning. Before the shakes i barely moved next day. So it works :) I'm drinking BioTechUSA NitroPureWheyGold bourbon vanilla or dark chocolate flavour. It's delicious and has minimum of fat and carbs
  • kaszay
    kaszay Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Had an hour-long workout wednesday... didn't drink protein shake after and what?.... ended up yesterday on ER with sprained knee.... just great...
  • andycet
    andycet Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research on the shakeology after trying herablife and both don't get massive reviews on anything extra from normal protein powders plus some fruit or a multi vitamin. Personally I hate the way they ram Shakeology down your through, particulary from coaches and on P90X.

Instead fo a meal replacement shake in the mornings to balance out macros and add more protein I use MRP 60:30 powder that has isolate and casein protein, casein takes longer to digest. With the MRP 60:30 protein powder and some soy or skimmed milk I then add in fruit and spinach for carbs and extra nutrients. Mixing things up daily gives a bit of variety and a lot cheaper than shakeology. Just add some fish oil and multivitamins (Boot 3 for 2 deals on these ;) ) and you'll get all you need.

My wife does TF & Chalene X and I do P90X/Insanity and we have different type of shake, Maximuscle Promax, which is just an isolate protein for after our workouts then have our evening meal for more protein and other nutrients.