300k audax tomorrow.. any advice ?

Options
boosht
boosht Posts: 12 Member
Well i've done two 200k rides this year, previous to that i've only ever been a 100k man, foudn the first 200k hard - really hard and mentally beat me up, the second 200k i found it was a breeze and felt a whole load different. i have reservations on the 300k as it's quite a leap from 200k and hope i will be ok..

anyone used to long cycling and can give any advice to keep strong and options in case i hit the wall ? (worst case scenario)

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    eat before you feel hungry, drink before you feel thirsty, and if there's someone else along on the same route, don't be too precious to ride "bit and bit" with them.

And above all, enjoy it.
  • defragmenteur
    Options
    Long distance riding is all about preserving your energy to complete the ride so point number 2 (as mybigyin mention), 3 and 6 of Velocio's code are important to keep in mind. Point number 5 is obvious...

Paul de Vivie devised a code for the wise cyclist:
    1. Keep your stops short and few.
    *2. Eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty.
    *3. Never get too tired to eat or sleep.
    4. Add a layer before you're cold, take one off before you're hot.
    5. Lay off wine, meat and tobacco on tour.
    *6. Ride within yourself, especially in the first hour.
    7. Never show off.
  • boosht
    boosht Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks all,
    well i made it 195.1 miles in teh end but it took rather longer than expected due to it being so flipping cold ! it hit Minus six degrees celcuis at one point and i think for over half of the ride it was below zero !...

found it hard but was really ill prepared for the ride, but go tthere in the end !, not to many stops in the first 8 hrs two stops for checkpoints where we needed a reciept for proof, then the third stop was for lunch stop, after lunch a couple of hours in and the stops started to appear more frequent due to numb hands and feet and wind chilled face.. (bus stop shelter for five mins etc..)

i found the 300k considerably more effort than the 200k distance... i think it's a big leap from one to the other, 100- 200 is not that noticeable i believe.., i may stick to a fe more 100k rides until the weather warms up some !..
  • defragmenteur
    Options
    Congrats! The colder the temp, the harder the ride specifically on long distance. Did a 200k winter brevet in 2011 and the battery was totally empty after...