Calcium supplemented orange juice?

Options
britstrrr
britstrrr Posts: 33 Member
Anyone drink orange juice supplemented with calcium and vD? I heard a lot of it isn't vegan... seems this is from lactic acid, which I am reading mixed reviews on whether than can be vegan or not. Anyone know of a brand that is? It would be great to get my calcium and Vitamin D so easily.

Replies

• britstrrr
    Options
    So, I emailed Simply Orange and Tropicana. This is the response I received from Simply Orange:

All Simply products are vegan, with the exception of Simply Orange® Pulp Free with Calcium and Vitamin D and Simply Orange® Medium Pulp with Calcium and Vitamin D. Vitamin D3 is derived from lanolin, which is a natural oil in the fiber of sheep’s wool. No animal or fish bladders or gelatin are used in the production of Simply juices and drink.
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I get western family concentrated, I believe. Fortified & vegan, as far as I can tell.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I have but I quit because I didn't want the extra calories so I take a calcium supplement and try and get more greens in my diet.
  • britstrrr
    Options
    I have but I quit because I didn't want the extra calories so I take a calcium supplement and try and get more greens in my diet.

Do you remember what brand you used? Trying to find a vegan one
  • britstrrr
    Options
    I get western family concentrated, I believe. Fortified & vegan, as far as I can tell.

Cool I will see if we have that here
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    There are two types of vitamin d, one animal sourced and one plant sourced. I get them mixed up, but I think D3 is the animal sourced one. Either way, unfortunately, the D you see in fortified products is almost always the animal sourced one.
  • cacleghorn
    cacleghorn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the email; that is helpful to know, to avoid.

I don't drink orange juice, and without paying any attention to my calcium intake, in an ordinary week, MFP says I'm getting about 80% of my recommended calcium. I think it would be pretty easy to bump it up with just foods, but if you like your o.j., then drink that juice! Hahaha.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    If you are eating beans each day, and if you are vegan you most likely will be, you can forget Calcium needs - you are getting plenty.