Damn you Disney!!! *shakes fist* RIP LucasArts ) =

Options
lacroyx
lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/04/lucasarts-disney/

That noise you just heard was the other shoe dropping: Lucasfilm said today that it will cease internal game development at LucasArts, following the company’s acquisition by Disney in November.

“After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games,” read a statement issued by Lucasfilm. “As a result of this change, we’ve had layoffs across the organization.”

Reached for comment by Wired, a representative said that internal development on announced games, like the next-gen shooter Star Wars 1313, had been ceased but that the company was evaluating its options as regards having those games completed by an outside developer. However, Kotaku quoted an anonymous source inside the company that said such options had already been explored, and Disney found no takers. So it’s looking quite unlikely that 1313 will ever come out.

Even though Disney said at the time of its $4 billion acquisition of the Star Wars company that it would “focus more on social and mobile than on console,” a Lucasfilm representative did say to Wired that future Star Wars console games were not off the table.

It’s hard to be surprised at this turn of events when Disney spelled it all out at the time of the acquisition. It’s moving away from internally-developed console games, having shut down Warren Spector’s studio Junction Point following the release of Epic Mickey 2, and towards social and mobile. There will still be Disney and Star Wars console titles, but these will be produced by external developers. Lucasfilm has been trying to turn the struggling LucasArts division around for many years now, with a musical-chairs game of ever-changing creative leads and executives.

I can see why Lucas, as a standalone company, would want to fix its games division. But Disney has no such need. It has a games division already, it doesn’t need to try to fix LucasArts’ problems. It’s sad when hundreds of people lose their jobs, but organizations that are no longer competitive need to die to make room for ones that are. If it’s Star Wars games you’re after, there’s no reason an external developer can’t handle them.

And if you’re nostalgic for the great old Lucas games of old, like Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion, this is good news for you. First of all, the people who made those games are already working at Telltale or Double Fine making exactly what you wish Lucas was still making. If you want a new Grim Fandango, a shift to a licensing-only model makes it more likely that Disney will look to cash in on that latent demand.

Again, if you’re in that latter group, the LucasArts you’re so nostalgic for died a long, long time ago when the company cancelled its Sam & Max sequel and laid off the whole team. And then that team formed Telltale Games and eventually made The Walking Dead. The LucasArts that died today is not the one you loved, and it was never going to be again.

Replies

• SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yu, saw this last night..... UNBELIEVABLE!
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yu, saw this last night..... UNBELIEVABLE!
  • dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    Man that sucks.
    I was really looking forward to playing Star Wars 1313 on PC.
    Dreams denied.
    :(
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    wow that makes me feel kinda dirty lol
  • EMJenkinson
    EMJenkinson Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just pile on the disappointment. Go on, do it.
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    <
    Still waiting on a good remake of Tie Fighter or X-Wing.

Hey, a guy can dream.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    <
    Still waiting on a good remake of Tie Fighter or X-Wing.

Hey, a guy can dream.

1000x This ^

I remember hooking up my soundblaster pro to hear the speech in the cutscenese. And their little attempt of DRM with the symbols in the manual LOL.

That said, Lucasarts has been worthless for years now. Disney still owns the IP for the games so they could release new games under a different brand.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Disney had a hay day when everything that they touched turned to gold. Then they release Pocahontas and while that movie was a success it was not as big of a success as it's predecessors like Aladdin and The Little Mermaid. Pocahontas basically signaled the down fall of Disney and whats more is everyone knew it. Critics and fans alike were all saying the same thing and reality was proving them right. Movie after movie was terrible and while they were still making money it just wasn't nearly as much.

Lately Disney has been coming back with a vengeance thanks to Marvel. Disney has done decently well with this more recent work and that is actually saying something when you consider some of the abominations that this particular genre has been plagued with.

I will admit I don't have the highest degree of confidence in them picking up the torch with the Star Wars story. To me Episodes 4,5 and 6 are still the best and these three movies remain the trilogy to beat. The first three just angered me and I take Jar jar Binks to be a huge middle finger to all Star Wars fans. I will give Disney a fair chance. Perhaps they will breath life back in to the franchise and they will give Star Wars a future. Surely someone at Disney has seen the damage that has been done and they have ability to fix it.
  • SylentZee
    SylentZee Posts: 262
    Options
    I really thought 1313 could be my new favorite since Force Unleashed. (The 1st one)