Can Type 1 Betes Make U Fat

Options
Just wondering if diabetes can actually make u fat. Sure if ur low all the time and having to eat then yes you will gain weight. But what if u like me and ur sugars are all over the place from day-to-day. My days can be like this
normal normal low high
high low normal normal
normal high high normal
high low normal
Catch my drift?
So with unstables sugars like this and taking Humalin N in am and pm and Humalog at each meal OR when Im crazy high and can't stand it I take a shot of Humalog to correct.
Do you guys think all this is effing up my chance of ever having the body I want?

Replies

• forestplay
    forestplay Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    HI Barbara,
    I think you actually have two questions in your post.

First, yes too much insulin will make losing weight very difficult. We can be eating unneeded and unwanted food because of injected insulin. Insulin is a hormone that help our body store energy as fat. Too much insulin causes energy to not only be stored, but not used efficiently when we exercise.

The trick is figuring out what dosage of insulin to adjust, how to adjust around exercise and having appropriate energy on board when exercising. It's not easy to get this balance right. I'm struggling with it right now. Just this morning I met with diabetic educator to review all my strategies and she made some adjustments that I believe will help. It was great talking with an expert.

Second, based on your typical days, I think you are chasing highs and lows in a roller coaster that is very difficult to break. I'm just guessing because I can't see what's really happening but each sequence gives interesting info:

normal normal low high - you over treated your low and when high. This probably means to took more insulin to bring down the high.

high low normal normal - you took too much insulin for the high and went low. You recovered nicely though.

normal high high normal - not enough insulin to treat the high, so you had to do another correction injection. Again, good recovery, bummer it took too long.

I find that my body need more insulin to bring BG down than I would have used if I had injected correctly. For instance, if I forget a shot for dinner which normally would have taken 5 units. To correct the high later that night requires 6. That puts too much insulin in my system. I don't know the chemistry/biology, but I believe that caused my body to store some of that BG as fat. In my case it seems to go directly to my belly, the place I want to reduce the most.

My guess is you don't have a consistent plan for treating those lows and highs. I am completely sympathetic. When we are low, we want to eat-eat-eat to feel better. When we are high, especially after a low, we don't want to over treat and get low again. Throw in exercise and it's a even bigger mess. I completely felt this way this week as I was having low after low because my exercise routine was increasing aggressively since the new year. I have been working my a-- off and my weight hasn't changed. It bounces +/- 3lbs but hasn't really dropped in a year. Sometimes it seems so unfair.

I hope you have someone who can review your numbers with you and give intelligent advice. I can look at my numbers and think I now how to adjust but having someone to look at them without my emotional baggage is the best help I can get.

I kind of went on forever but I hope this helps.

-Bob
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the info. I hate diabetes! Things have been better this week though as I've been eating low glycemic mostly and no junk food at all. It has put me into some lows though so I have to work them out. I drank last night too so Im taking a little less insulin at breakfast and lunch in hopes i won't get the "delayed alcohol low". I hated hearing that your weight didn't budge in a year!!! I've been trying to lose baby weight for 15 months now - it sucks!
  • nursebunny5
    Options
    i can sympathize with you about diabetes and weight loss. i have been trying for 5 years to lose weight and nothing is working, my doctor says that people with type 1 diabetes always have a more difficult time losing weight. boy, is she right!!!! i am getting very frustrated....with my lack of weight loss and my diabetes. if you need a friend who understands what you are going through, i'd love to be friends! it would be nice to have someone on the same "journey" as me!!

good luck!!
  • racegirlkn
    racegirlkn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Either of you can add me too, if you would like. Over several years I have lost about 50 pounds, but have been stuck at my current weight for a while. I would like to lose about 20 more pounds. I am a runner, and been type 1 for about 20 years! Everyday is a struggle!!! Good luck!
  • jjuullzz
    jjuullzz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, as well! I'm type 1. Have been for about 16 years. Always, always struggling with weight! It would definitely be nice to have some other diabetic friends...we can all encourage each other!!
    Just know that it's always going to be a battle, and do the best you can every day. If today sucked, well, when it's over, forget about it, and start fresh tomorrow!! :)
  • Lilianam881
    Options
    Just wondering if diabetes can actually make u fat. Sure if ur low all the time and having to eat then yes you will gain weight. But what if u like me and ur sugars are all over the place from day-to-day. My days can be like this
    normal normal low high
    high low normal normal
    normal high high normal
    high low normal
    Catch my drift?
    So with unstables sugars like this and taking Humalin N in am and pm and Humalog at each meal OR when Im crazy high and can't stand it I take a shot of Humalog to correct.
    Do you guys think all this is effing up my chance of ever having the body I want?

I was diagnosed when I was 17 yrs old I am now 25 and have gained 30lbs. I struggle to maintain even at my current weight. I used to think that as long as I took enough insulin to cover whatever I wanted to eat I'd be fine. well that just lead me to weight gain, When you are eating more carbohydrates then you need your body with the help of insulin will store it as fat. The best way I have found that helps me manage glucose levels better so that I dont have to shoot up with insulin as much is to eat low glycemic foods as well as exercise often. the less sugar I eat the less insulin I need and the less carbs that it is able to store as fat. I only need enough carbs for brain function -I dont need all that pasta and bread crap. Get carbs from fruit and veggies and you'll see better glucose levels.
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    normal normal low high
    high low normal normal
    normal high high normal
    high low normal
    Catch my drift?

I was diagnosed when I was 17 yrs old I am now 25 and have gained 30lbs. I struggle to maintain even at my current weight. I used to think that as long as I took enough insulin to cover whatever I wanted to eat I'd be fine. well that just lead me to weight gain, When you are eating more carbohydrates then you need your body with the help of insulin will store it as fat. The best way I have found that helps me manage glucose levels better so that I dont have to shoot up with insulin as much is to eat low glycemic foods as well as exercise often. the less sugar I eat the less insulin I need and the less carbs that it is able to store as fat. I only need enough carbs for brain function -I dont need all that pasta and bread crap. Get carbs from fruit and veggies and you'll see better glucose levels.
    Ive changed things at the start of APril. I am now eating more low glycemic and breads and pasta not as often- usually just a lunch time as my biggest meal of day. Lots of fruits and some veggies. Blood sugars are better but now more lows are coming up so that means a good thing really - decrease insulin dosage.
  • k_winder
    k_winder Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Feel free to add me too - I have had Type 1 for almost 21 years and I too am struggling to lose some weight. Recently I had to increase all my insulin dosages for no reason that me or my dr. can figure out, and I gained back 4 lbs I had lost.