Water, Breastfeeding and Constipation...

Options
juliehuestis
juliehuestis Posts: 24 Member
Hello everyone!
I am looking for some advice.
My son is 4 months + 2weeks, exclusively breast fed. Drink between 12-15 cups of water per day, get lots of fiber and a pretty balanced diet. My problem is that I am always constipated! It started during pregnancy, which my doc said was normal and add fiber/water. Now that he is getting a bit older, it still isn't going away, I am always so uncomfortable! Exercise 2 or 3 days/week, eating 1600-1800cal/day. I do have hypothyroidism but my levels were just checked and I was actually a bit over medicated, so have decreased the synthroid - when I mentioned the constipation to my Dr, she said it should be the opposite since too much meds should give diarrhea, 'maybe try more water's was her advice. Hmmm.
Anyone have any ideas? I really can't add more water!

Replies

• Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a ton of advice...but as an fyi, some prenatal vitamins (if you're still taking them due to breastfeeding) can cause constipation. I guess the increase in iron causes it. I know that because each time I've been pregnant and start taking the vitamins, I get stopped up.

Some alternatives? Maybe try a different prenatal vitamin with not as much iron. OR you could try probiotics (I took these daily during my first pregnancy to help "move things along" lol). You can also buy fiber in powder form and put it in your water bottles. Doesn't affect the taste of you water, but does help!! Hope this helps:)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I'm interested also. I wouldn't say I'm constipated but I'm definitely not going as regularly as I used to. I'm also hypothyroid but on meds for it. Just had levels checked so we'll see.
  • juliehuestis
    juliehuestis Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just looked up probiotics online, looks promising - will add that. I have tried fiber sticks in the past, maybe I will try again, which brand do you use? Thx for the help!
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm 34 weeks pregnant and I'm taking the gummy prenatal vitamins that don't have iron in them. Ever since I switched vitamins I have been going more regularly. They are the square ones from vitafusion...you can get them at Target or most drug stores. I just make sure I get iron from whole grain cereal and I don't have any problems with my iron levels.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Prunes are lovely for constipation! Eat 5-10 of them with some water. As an alternative, you could take some Miralax - it's polyethylene glycol, which is an osmotic laxative, meaning it draws water into the bowels rather than acts as a stimulant.
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I actually had a similiar issue during and soon after pregnancy which was crazy b/c I was normally at least once a day (TMI, I know). This sounds strange, but sometimes if I massage my abdomen while lying down when I'm feeling especially constipated, it helps move things along. Keep in mind, it takes a while for you body to go back to "normal" after birth... especially when you're breast feeding. My daughter is almost 10 mos and I'm still not as regular as I used to be.
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Just looked up probiotics online, looks promising - will add that. I have tried fiber sticks in the past, maybe I will try again, which brand do you use? Thx for the help!

I just got the Walmart brand of powder fiber- comes in a canister. Put a tsp. or so in my water, and voila! Hope it works:)
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I drink a 5oz can of prune juice. I didn't get regular for like a year with my first daughter.
  • 80lbslost
    80lbslost Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Stool softener works wonders!
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Something else that helps....vitamin C tablets that dissolve in water. You drink it like Metamucil but it tastes better and is more natural.
  • nld410
    nld410 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this. I have also been struggling with contipation. I EB and my son is 6 months old. I even had really severe abdominal cramps and gaspain to go along with it. It is just starting to get better. I did increase the water, the activity. but mostly adding dried fruits (like 6 prunes, apricots, figs) and reducing dairy especially cheese seems to really help. Also, getting more sleep helped too. (good luck with that).
  • momwantsbodyback
    momwantsbodyback Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I had bad problems with constipation which led to terrible butt problems.
    My midwife gave me some advice:

1. Cut carbs, eat fibre
    2. Drink a LOT of water (2-3 liters a day)
    3. Add some seed husks of psyllium or flax seeds to your diet (they rise in your guts and make your poop softer)
    4. Walk/ Exercise- your guts need movement to work correctly
    5. Eat a table spoon of olive oil every morning and drink a big glass of water with it

These were just a few- but they worked for me, especially the water intake.

Good luck!
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm like momwantsbodyback, my poop issues led to some serious butt problems after having my baby (it got to the point where I was afraid to use the bathroom). I'm 5 months PP and EBF. When I discussed the problem with my doc he asked about my fibre/water intake, as well as exercise. I was already drinking a lot of water and eating plenty of fibre, but it wasn't enough to do the trick so he recommended using Metamucil every day and sent me home with an Rx ointment. I find I notice a big difference when I slack on the water intake, so I make sure to drink at least one big jug every day.

My mom friends all warned me that the first few PP poops were "scary", but they didn't tell me I could have poop issues for several months!

ETA: If you do go the Metamucil route, don't get the generic store brands. I found them to be really gritty and hard to drink compared to Metamucil.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I would try stool softner first, then maybe some of these other ideas. It helped me right after delivery. Also our sons are almost the same age. Mine was born 11/25.
  • hdleverette
    hdleverette Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was dealing with a similar situation (and then skipping my iron supplement to avoid making the problem worse, which then made my iron drop again...) and finally I decided to take a stool softener with a mild stimulant. I was already do the extra water/fiber, and getting regular walks in, none of which was helping. It only took one dose, and for the most part I'm back to normal, as long as I watch my fluid intake. Good luck!