First Marathon

Options
MelisRunning
MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
Mississippi Coast Marathon. November 30, 2013. Gulfport, Mississippi. Keep an eye out for this one because I think that my husband and I are going to run it~his third full and my first. We are looking at using Hal Higdon's training program. 18 weeks training beginning in late June. *Gulp!!!

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!

I am in raining whilst injured for my first ever marathon in May ( Toronto) and am using Hal Higdon novice 2.

Train hard and please stay injury free!!

Good luck :-)
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Aahhhh, enjoy every step.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making the commitment! Enjoy!
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Congrats and good luck!
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    I'll be doing my first (Chicago Marathon) in mid-October. My training starts the first week of June. I'm also using the Hal Higdon plan. I'm sure we can help each other out along the way!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I used Hal Higdon when I was training for my first marathon, it worked very well for me.
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I used Hal Higdon when I was training for my first marathon, it worked very well for me.

Did you follow the HH plan exactly? I've had a few experienced runners tell me that I should add more mileage on Tuesday- Thursday runs. Also, what type of cross training did you do?

Thanks!
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    I'll be doing my first (Chicago Marathon) in mid-October. My training starts the first week of June. I'm also using the Hal Higdon plan. I'm sure we can help each other out along the way!

I'll be in Chicago this year as well! It'll be my first time running Chicago but marathon #8 for me.....if I survive #7 first (Grandma's Marathon, Duluth MN in June).
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Finally signed up for that first marathon but not the one on the Gulf Coast, instead I will be heading into New England. The Mount Desert Island Marathon in Bar Harbor, Maine. It is on Oct. 20, one full month earlier than the Gulf Coast one I was looking at previously. Guess I'd better lace up my running shoes and get moving!
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    congrats...stay consistent, dont try to do to much....listen to ur body...even if you need to walk a bit ((its tough to do I know)) but you wanna finish is your main goal esp. the first one....you can re-evaluate later. good luck....
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I will be using a Hal Higdon plan for my first marathon this fall as well. Good luck!
  • runrunjohnny
    runrunjohnny Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    congrats...stay consistent, dont try to do to much....listen to ur body...even if you need to walk a bit ((its tough to do I know)) but you wanna finish is your main goal esp. the first one....you can re-evaluate later. good luck....

I agree. You don't have to follow Hal exactly, but you need to stay consistent and avoid over-doing it.

Your goal for your first marathon is to make it to race day, injury-free. You will no doubt be increasing your mileage to levels you've never reached. Trying to do extra usually just ends up in injury.

Since you have some time before the 18 weeks starts, I recommend you start strength training if you don't already. Its your greatest tool for recovery.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Doing Marine Corps Marathon for my first, sooooo excited!!!

I am doing Higdon's Novice 1 for 12 weeks then switching over to Novice 2 for the remaining 18 weeks. My goal for my first is to make it to the finish line. Maaaaaybe if there is a second one I will look at time... :)

I cross train 2 days a week. I do flow yoga one day and a long hike on the other. I probably should add in strength but am a cardio junkie!
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I've run three fulls, used Higdon twice. First time I didn't stick to the training program, and I limped across the finish in 4:19:20, walked most of the final 7 miles.

The following year I stuck to the program and finished in 3:48:00 (same course), then 7 weeks later ran a 3:45:58.

Higdon is a good program....just stick with it, especially the pacing. Don't push to go fast on long runs!
  • s35keith
    s35keith Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making the big leap. Enjoy the training and enjoy Maine
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I used Hal for my first too! I was really pleased with my time. I'm super slow so I averaged about 12:30-12:50 min miles, loved every minute!

Congrats and enjoy!
  • Rpeat1
    Rpeat1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Pfitinger & Douglas's 'Advanced Marathoning' is well worth looking at. Great programmes that are marathon specific and book that's easy to read.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Pfitinger & Douglas's 'Advanced Marathoning' is well worth looking at. Great programmes that are marathon specific and book that's easy to read.

Pfitz is the bible for lots of runners. I find that you do need to "know yourself" as a runner to make sense of it.

If you don't know your marathon pace, from your HM pace, from your 5K pace, then the Pfitz workouts will likely make your head spin. If you have some experience running, racing and training at shorter distances, then Pfitz is awesome.

I always point first timers toward Higdon.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've used Hal Higdon for my past four marathons and am 3/4 the marthon prgram in prepreation for the Fargo marathon in May.