Grocery shopping!

Every time we go grocery shopping, we make sure to get plenty of meat and fresh veggies. What else are your must haves from the grocery store?

Replies

• -Bacon
    -Eggs
    -Chorizo
    -Chicken
    -Spinach leaves
    -heavy whipping cream

(that's my "get every time you go to the store" list--you can never have too much of the above, IMO! I have lots of other things, like a pork shoulder if I want to do carnitas or some beef short ribs, or a pork tenderloin, etc depending on what my meal plan is for the week)
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    every week: eggs, bacon, steak of some sort, avocados, cheese and coconut oil.

then I mix it up with baking stuff like almond flour, and stevia, and other things once a month or so.
  • bleusie
    bleusie Posts: 4
    all of the above - plus blackberries or blueberries - which ever is on sale. just a handful of either is enough to kill my sweet / fruit cravings (usually)!

this week i made a ground chicken, spinach, tomato and red pepper casserole with a creamy taco seasoned sauce. it is a little more calorie dense than I thought, so i'm thinking i might put it over some lettuce/salad greens to see if i can split the portion sizes a bit. or maybe it's thick enough i can use it as filling for a lettuce wrap. ah well, a work in progress! hah

i was just building my delivery for the upcoming week and I think i'm going to try out a keto friendly chicken parm for dinner. obvs - no pasta! but with some zucchini. i am feeling a little overdone with wilted baby spinach/chopped spinach - so i felt like i needed a vegetable with some substance!

as i live by myself and my bf is not doing keto (yet..), i am having trouble not over-buying! my freezer is SO full of meat right now. I need to just.. stop buying more. but i see it on sale and think of the possibilities - and then poof. first world problems.
  • sebringa
    sebringa Posts: 5
    every week: eggs, bacon, steak of some sort, avocados, cheese and coconut oil.

then I mix it up with baking stuff like almond flour, and stevia, and other things once a month or so.

Is almond flour available at places other than Kroger or some whole foods stores?
  • sebringa
    sebringa Posts: 5
    This week we picked up avocados, more eggs, breakfast meats, and chicken. We still have a bunch of tilapia, pork chops, and chicken in our freezer that we need to get through.
    I recently ordered some Atkins stuff from Amazon that I'm looking forward to! Specifically the baking stuff so I can have some mf pancakes again. Pretty excited about that one!
  • Pork rinds, avocados, eggs, heavy cream, cauliflower, zucchini, baby spinach, arugula, Boursin, cured meats (salami, prosciutto, etc.), various fancy cheeses, Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips (I eat a few every day for my chocolate fix).
  • bleusie
    bleusie Posts: 4
    re: the almond flour question - I have seen it at whole foods, but it's always sold out. always. same at shaw's! so i buy mine on amazon to ensure i have it. i've done the same with coconut flour and unsweetened coconut flakes.

i challenge anyone to find unsweetened coconut flakes in a store! or, you can just contact me if you need any. Apparently I bought 4 pounds of it, thinking i only bought 1. i have more coconut than any one girl could possibly eat.
  • Dark chocolate (Ghiradelli 86% squares), chicken breasts, ground beef, cheese on cheese on cheese (okay, not that much cheese), and any veggies that look delicious!
  • marronmarvel
    marronmarvel Posts: 4 Member
    Cheese, spinach, turkey bacon and sausage. Sometimes it's hard to do keto when you're kosher - no plates of delicious pork products for me! :( I am pretty busy, so I also buy the Tyson's pre-cooked frozen chicken breasts or strips, and original Boca burgers, which have 1g net carbs.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Is almond flour available at places other than Kroger or some whole foods stores?

sorry for the delay...
    I'm in canada, so we don't have those stores, but I can find it at bulk barn, and at other grocery stores as well.
  • BandB1979
    BandB1979 Posts: 38 Member
    Almond flour- If you have Bob's Red Mill brands they should have it.
  • I've found it at both Trader Joe's and Safeway. I heard somewhere that Wal-Mart carries it but I haven't been in one to check since I heard that.
  • Jennyflies
    Jennyflies Posts: 94 Member
    Heavy Cream
    Salami
    cream cheese
    spinach
    shiritake noodles
    sugar free jello
    yellow squash
    zuccini
    rasberries
    blackberries
    fiber one cottage cheese
    Atkins bars
  • Very, VERY new to the Keto lifestyle....I've noticed a few of you talking about heavy cream. I, embarrassingly enough, can't/don't cook, so I have no idea how you're using that. I know my Grandma used to put it in some of her recipes. Are you using it to get more fat?
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Very, VERY new to the Keto lifestyle....I've noticed a few of you talking about heavy cream. I, embarrassingly enough, can't/don't cook, so I have no idea how you're using that. I know my Grandma used to put it in some of her recipes. Are you using it to get more fat?

Yeah heavy cream is good for getting more fat. I like to have some in my morning coffee, and it's great for veggies like creamed spinach. I use it a lot in baking too as a milk replacement.

Oh & almost forgot, love to whip up heavy whipping cream (which is what I buy) & add a little cocoa powder & cream cheese to it - it's like chocolate mousse & only takes a few minutes to make!

Edit: regular "milk" has carbs from the sugar/lactose in it & heavy cream has almost no carbs in small amounts.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Very, VERY new to the Keto lifestyle....I've noticed a few of you talking about heavy cream. I, embarrassingly enough, can't/don't cook, so I have no idea how you're using that. I know my Grandma used to put it in some of her recipes. Are you using it to get more fat?

I put it in my coffee and have also used it in fat bomb recipes and put it in my keto crepe. Made it yummy!