Food talk...good and bad

Options
Starlight9763
Starlight9763 Posts: 12 Member
Hi everyone!! How is everyone doing?? I was interested in seeing what others are eating..bad and good. I know I turn to the Pure Protein Bars which can be both bad and good. They get me through when I need protein but some days I can eat an entire box! My "bad" food would be carbs of course....pretzels or cheeze-its! It wouldn't be bad if moderation came into play. Haven't had any of either in a few weeks so now it's grazing....good foods but head hunger comes with job boredom. Working on that one too! Share yours...please. Have a great day!

Replies

• KDIrving
    KDIrving Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, Starlight--

I try not to think about "good" and "bad" foods too much--rather, I think, "What foods can I choose that will give me the best bang for my buck?" It's like I am going on a shopping trip, and I want to get the best possible deals, that combine good taste and good nutrition. Oh, and I have a budget--my daily calorie goals!

These days, my goal is to "spend" between 1,300 and 1,500 calories a day. And just to complicate things a bit, because I am post-RNY, I know that I need at least 90 grams per day of protein. My nutritionist says I should aim for three main meals and two or three snacks per day, with each main meal being at least 300 calories, and each snack being at least 150 calories; and every time I eat, I need a minimum of 7 grams of protein. (It sounds super-complicated, doesn't it? But I promise, when you get going, you'll find it gets a LOT easier! :wink: )

Okay, so, given all these rules, here's a sample day for me:

Breakfast (8 a.m.): 1 cup of Kashi Go Lean cereal (13 g. of protein right off the bat! Yay!), with 1/3 c. 1% milk, and half a cup of raspberries or blueberries.

Snack 1 (10:30 a.m.): Atkins Advantage protein bar, Chocolate Chip Granola (another 15 g. of protein...)

Lunch: (1 p.m.): 1/2 c. baked chicken breast, 1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese, 1 T. crumbled bacon, 1.5 c. romaine lettuce, 6 cherry tomatoes, 5 oz. fresh strawberries (hey, it's summer--time to live it up with the fresh fruit!)

Snack 2: (3:30 p.m.) 1 Finn Crisp rye cracker (they're big, so one goes a long way) with 1 T. peanut butter

Supper: (6:15 p.m.) 8 oz. salmon filet, 1/2 c. cooked broccoli, 1 small baked potato, 1 t. butter

Snack 3: (optional) (9 p.m.) 1 envelope low-calorie hot chocolate

This is just a sample--but the main pattern is the same. And you'll see that I try to never go longer than 2 or 3 hours without eating either a meal or a snack. I think this is a key part of staying on track for me: I know that when I'm hungry, I'll make really dopey food decisions, whereas when I'm not hungry, it's super-easy to eat what's good for me.

I really hope this helps!
  • nitabean47
    nitabean47 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    A day in the life:

7am- Click Mocha protein shake made w/ FF Milk and Water
    - Coffee w/ ID creamer...honestly 1 serving of 2 tbsp.

10am- 2 cups salad w/ julienne ham, 2 hard boiled eggs w/o yolk, Light ranch

130pm- Soup, todays soup is homeade chili made w/ 93% lean beef, light and dark kidney beans, no salt added can tomatoes and lots of garlic and spices w/ fresh diced onions on top

3pm- Fresh strawberries and banana w/ splenda

5pm- cucumber/ tomato/avacado slices w/ 4 slices of turkey deli meat and a laughing cow cheese

8pm- ONLY MEAL AT HOME!! I usually have fiber one cereal or some other whole grain cereal

I think eating I am doing good but I am not seeing it on the scale. I bring all my meals due to I leave for work 7am and get home 8pm 4 days a week. Any critiques would be appreciated!!
  • kimbatwl
    kimbatwl Posts: 7
    Options
    carbs are the root of all evils.... I am trying to cut back on them as well as bumping up the protein and vegies. My boss is also a post gastric person and she had a regain too. she is focussing on going wheat free and has actually lost 45 pounds the past couple months. going to foucs on trying the wheat free but rally address the carb issues. one day at a time.
  • isthereafreeusername
    isthereafreeusername Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How does she do the wheat-free? I'm interested in this as well, but I have heard folks say that some of the gluten-free foods are terrible. Of course, if you're not eating bread anyway, I guess it could work. One of my co-workers has celiac's disease, and I always feel bad for him when there's a get-together of any kind. He usually isn't able to eat whatever is there. He seems to be doing well, though.