Brand new vegan - questions?

Options
I am seriously considering adopting a vegan lifestyle but I have some questions and thought this would be the best place to ask them! I apologize if they've been asked/answered before (or if they're really stupid questions!) - I went through the message boards a few pages back and didn't see it in there.

My first question is about my macros. I know a big question vegans get tired of is how do you get protein in (I'm actually already tired of hearing it from my mom and friends I've told I'm going vegan), and I have researched and found many different sources of protein that I can have. But when a cup of chicken is 44 grams of protein and a serving of hemp protein powder is only 15, I am a little concerned about being able to eat 30% protein, which is what has been recommended. So my question is - since this is a plant based diet, what do you set your macros to? Do you try to get 30%? And if so, do you find you are able to get it in?

My second question is really pretty broad. I have no friends that lead this type of lifestyle and all my research, etc has come from the internet. I've already gotten B-12 vitamins because I read that you can get a defiency without eating animals, but is there any other advice you'd give to someone trying this out for the first time? Any other supplements you need to take? Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks!!!

Replies

• katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have some of the same questions as you, so I'm anxious to hear from more veteran vegans. I almost never reach my protein goal, even though I include protein sources in my diet. I also take a B12 supplement - don't think it hurts.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I find it hard to do too. I eat tofu and seitan often and I sprinkle nutritional yeast on meals when I am low on protein. Nutritional yeast is usually supplemented with a good dose of vitamin b12.
    B12 is the most important consideration and you've figured that one out. I make my own seitan I think 5 oz is almost 30 grams of protein, nutritional yeast is a good source of protein too.

Because I have to prepare seitan and tofu so often I get lazy and have dairy and eggs sometimes to keep my protein up. ( I don't label myself which is fortunate). You are welcome to check out my diary:)

I hated pea protein powder when I tried it, but if I find one I like that will also be a good way to keep protein up.
  • FVPlant
    FVPlant Posts: 5
    Options
    Not sure how you will like this answer but:
    I (a vegan for 6 years) do not make an attempt to watch my protein intake. Protein is in practically EVERYTHING. And many vegetables have a protein percentage near or higher than 30% (ex: http://myjuicecleanse.com/juicing-for-health/calculating-vegetable-proteins/).
    If you eat the basics of a vegan diet (vegetables and fruits) then you will be fine. If you depend on rice, pastas, and other carbs to fill your diet...well..dont do that. They are yummy but try not to eat a lot of them. DEFINITELY dont depend on them. I hardly ever eat tofu or seitan either (maybe once ever two months? Its just a pain to prepare lol)
    You have to REALLY try to be protein deficient. You will be eating a TON of vegetables. I can blow through a couple of those Fresh Express bags for lunch alone. So branch out and try new ones as often as you can.
    If you are TRULY TRULY freaking out then add protein powder (theres more than just Hemp) to smoothies, when baking, to drinks, ect and eat some beans and nuts

Example of an average day for me:
    Wake up and make a smoothie (1-2 cups of fruit of choice plus half a banana, some nut milk) Add protein powder here if you like. This is breakfast.
    Snack 1: Fruit (maybe some apple and peanut butter or a frozen banana puree with peanut butter or some other fruit. It ends up tasting like ice cream!!!)
    Lunch: Either a 4 or so cups of salad or a giant mounded plate of a vegetable I bought on sale that week. (toss some beans in here if you like)
    Dinner: Either left overs from lunch or maybe I'll make myself a stir fry? (toss some beans in here if you like)
    Snack two: More fruit.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My docs and trainers have never focused on the 30% thing, instead they've always wanted me to get grams by lean body weight. So I don't focus on %.

Protein is everywhere, as others have said. Every food you can eat except straight oils contains some amount of protein even if it's not a full gram per serving. You're still getting important amino acids.

Tofu, tempeh, and other soy products, wheat gluten, beans, lentils, vegetables, seeds and nuts, grains, and even fruit has some amount. Before I had gastric bypass and could eat more common amounts of food I was normally getting 100-120g protein a day, sometimes more, sometimes less, but that's a fair average.

I'd suggest with the B-12 to take it in sublingual form.

I'd also suggest multivitamins and calcium - but not specifically because of being vegan, rather just because we're human and don't always get everything we need all the time.... and sometimes not even regularly lol.

Hmmm. Something that has come up lately (it was either here or elsewhere, I can't recall): If going vegan is greatly raising your fiber intake, your belly may be a bit unhappy feeling at first. Be sure to stay well hydrated and things should adjust just fine.

Some of us go through withdrawal from milk products while others don't even notice it. I had a bad time breaking from dairy, took me years. That said, once I'd dropped it completely and got past the last time's discomfort I felt a Lot better.

Try a million foods. Then if you didn't care for something, try it again a few months or a year later. Your tastes may change over time as you get used to not having the meat and animal fat flavors in things.
  • RumpusP
    Options
    Oh, doubled-checked on a couple of examples that were in my head from eating lately:

1/3cup of Westsoy seitan strips (wheat gluten protein "meat") is 21g protein.

1 cup black beans is 15g protein

Comparing chicken breast to vegan protein powders is really apples and oranges. Most animal-based protein powders are about 15-25g protein per scoop, most vegan protein powders are about 15-25g per scoop. There are exceptions to each of these, of course, but that's the norm.
  • jezama77
    jezama77 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am not really a veteran vegan being that I have only been plant based for a few months, but I have some comments. For me, adopting a plant based diet is a lifestyle change that I wish to have be permanent. Oh, I also have a commitment to eating whole foods as much as possible. Oreos are vegan, but gross! I want to feel comfortable in this life choice and make changes in a way that will help me in this journey. I didn't stop eating all dairy products overnight, but got rid of things and replaced them with alternatives.

I wasn't really sure what my macros were set at, so I checked and they were at the MFP default, which turns out to be 55% carbs, 15% protein, and 30% fat. I never, ever have gone over for fat, I occasionally go over on carbs, and for protein I usually get in the 15% or go a little over. I think that 30% might not be realistic for plant-based, but that might be just my opinion/tastes. I like carbs. I don't want to give them up. I eat LOTS of veggies and some fruits, but I also have either a serving or 1/2 serving of carbs at my meals. Like 1/2 c. brown rice or quinoa or a baked potato or some organic vegan wheat bread.

As far as supplements go, I take a vegan multivitamin every day. It has the B-12 in it.

I love learning and getting new ideas from the message boards too, so I can't wait to see what everyone else says! :)
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    All good advice that has been given. Like said before, most foods have some protein- so it all adds up. If you want something with a big dose of protein- a protein powder (make sure not to do whey powder as it is a milk product), tofu, tempeh (yum!), seitan, beans, nuts. There are also lots of meat substitute products out there like veggie burgers, crumbles (like ground beef), etc. These are processed, so you may want to stay away from these since you are shooting for eating whole foods. You can though make your own- I LOVE homemade lentil burgers!
    If you like to cook, I would suggest checking out a few vegan recipe websites or investing in a couple vegan cookbooks. It will really open up your options.
  • eurogal
    eurogal Posts: 2
    Options
    My suggestion is to start by watching the documentary "Forks over Knives". The amount of information in it as to the benefits of going vegan leave no doubt in your mind that it is life-changing. That's how I started- and I've never looked back as the differences I am experiencing in being vegan have been amazing. Once I made the decision to change- I started reading everything I could on the subject- online and from the library. From there- you begin to find your way and find the foods that appeal to you. And if you use MFP to record what you're eating- you'll get a handle on the percentages of your proteins, carbs, etc, It has been so rewarding- food tastes better and I feel better about knowing I'm improving my health.
  • veganlisa
    veganlisa Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to start by watching the documentary "Forks over Knives". The amount of information in it as to the benefits of going vegan leave no doubt in your mind that it is life-changing. That's how I started- and I've never looked back as the differences I am experiencing in being vegan have been amazing. Once I made the decision to change- I started reading everything I could on the subject- online and from the library. From there- you begin to find your way and find the foods that appeal to you. And if you use MFP to record what you're eating- you'll get a handle on the percentages of your proteins, carbs, etc, It has been so rewarding- food tastes better and I feel better about knowing I'm improving my health.

Forks Over Knives has a cookbook too!
  • sammanchester
    sammanchester Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Forks Over Knives has a cookbook too!
    Thanks for the cookbook info!
  • kimazoo
    kimazoo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree that most every food you have has protein in it. Skeptics (non-vegan people) will be the firs to ask you, "Where do you get your protien from?" and I reply in all the foods I eat. :)

I actually supplement with a protein powder (Garden of Live Raw Vegan Protein Powder). But by no means do you have to do this. I just prefer to do it and like the taste of it.

I went 100% vegan in one day. There are times when I miss certain foods but then that's when I get creative in the kitchen and find a way to make them vegan....like Queso dip, lasagna, mac n cheese, alfredo, nachos, muffins, cakes, etc. I still eat all the foods I love and actually enjoy them even more. They taste great and I know if I were to do a side by side comparison, I'm eating 100% better eating the vegan version.

The only thing that was a bit rough was the excess fiber intake. It did make me bloated and a bit gassy. I just upped my water intake to help push things thru and avoided labels with anything that said "high fiber." Eventually my stomach adjusted. I eat anywhere between 35-55 grams of fiber a day and it doesn't bother me anymore.

I also take Deva Vegan Multivitamin (I get 2-3 months worth online for $19) and that covers the B6 and B12 as well as Iron and other things. I also take Biotin - just because I love what it does for my hair/skin/nails. It also gives me a great boost of energy as well as boosts my metabolism.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to look at my food journal. It's open for my MFP "friends" to view.
  • kirlia
    kirlia Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I wasn't really sure what my macros were set at, so I checked and they were at the MFP default, which turns out to be 55% carbs, 15% protein, and 30% fat. I never, ever have gone over for fat, I occasionally go over on carbs, and for protein I usually get in the 15% or go a little over. I think that 30% might not be realistic for plant-based, but that might be just my opinion/tastes. I like carbs.
    I'm using the mfp default macros as well, and I go over on fat almost every day, haha. Nuts/seeds in their many forms (milk, meat, butter, oil...), avocados, olives, dark chocolate - all of which are really good for your body, physically! So I'm totally okay using more than 30% of my calories on good fats.

I'm sometimes under for protein on days I don't use supplements/powders, but I usually get the widely-recommended-outside-of-mfp 42 g for an average female. Again, I'm not really concerned. Each day without fail I get the vast majority of my calories from carbs, usually/ideally plant carbs, and I feel super healthy, and I'm at my weight goal, so I must have done something right!
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    After reading the china study I have decided that its more important for me to eat a wide variety of whole foods than to worry about specific nutrients. Coleen Patrick-goodreau has some great (free)podcasts too. There is also a blog called the alternative vegan that has some great fresh recipes.
    T
  • kaliya89
    kaliya89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this cleanse for the past week where I'm not allowed to eat any soy products, and I think my protein intake is roughly where it should be as far as percentage is concerned. I'm not hitting the MFP numbers, but I'm also consuming a lot fewer calories, so I think it balances out.

If you're worried about protein, I would do what others have said and add a protein powder. I've found vanilla rice protein powder to be fairly decent tasting (1 tbs = 12 g protein).

I would also recommend adding more beans to your diet. If you haven't tried roasted chickpeas, you might want to try. I just tried them yesterday for the first time, and I can't get enough of them. Half a can of chickpeas has 10 grams of protein and are really delicious. I actually ended up eating an entire can of chickpeas today (not all in one sitting), and I ended up getting 20 grams of protein.

Just remember to try different things and don't just stick with pastas and grains. That was my downfall the first time I tried to go vegan. I could cut out animal products, but I still wasn't healthy. Maybe try tracking your food for a few weeks (or even just one week) and then see if protein is a problem for you or not.

Good luck! :)
  • RumpusP
    Options
    Oh, also, for someone new the book Becoming Vegan can be a real help. It's a pretty dry here-are-the-facts about nutrition... break down of amino acids, important vitamins/minerals, where to get them, health benefits, etc. but very accessible. Their book Becoming Vegetarian was very useful when I first went lacto-ovo and wanted to make sure I was eating well and what would be physical benefits, possibly.
  • chelseagirlfl
    chelseagirlfl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread...I really liked all the advice and even if it was not mine..I got a lot out of it...thanks for sharing
  • Deb_le_Kess
    Deb_le_Kess Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with a lot of what is being said here. Yes protein is in everything, but exactly as the OP has said you would have to eat a lot of these alternatives to make up for one portion of meat. That is just fact, the meat is more efficient gram for gram for protein, so those of you who do not pay attention, I really think you must.

To that end, I do always make my protein recommendation, but as I'm getting a little bored of the higher protein sources I have started using a pea protein. Some days I will use it more than others it just depends on what I am eating. I put it on my porridge and in soups etc and don't really notice it. As I exercise a lot too I find it does become a struggle trying to reach the protein target, but without fail even pre-supplement I would do it, but that was usually with some tweaking. I have no idea about the carb ratio, I must admit I do not pay much attention to that.
  • kkoltcz
    kkoltcz Posts: 30
    Options
    Check out open food diaries and learn learn learn, and ask questions.

I've only been vegan since September 1st but I am still trying to learn- I don't think of it as work I'm actually enjoying it . I watch documentaries (though I think I've run out now =) ) , read all of the books I can get my hands on ( vegan for life I think was the first book I read) and constantly try new recipes. It's a food adventure.

I don't take a protein supplement- we normally hit our protein without issue just eating well. I take a vegan multi and a b-12 that dissolves under the tongue.

The biggest thing to know, in my opinion, is that you need to relax and go with it. Do not stress yourself out over the little details- you'll get them all in line in time- if you some days hit your goals and other days don't - it's okay. Just work on it, make little changes and before you know it you'll be right were you want to be.
  • deb3690
    deb3690 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    OK some ideas on the macros....remember that veggies and fruits are mostly carbs....I eat 70-20-10 (carb-protein-fat) I call it low fat vegan. I don't worry about obsessing over protein too much but I do eat several servings of beans most days. Oils, tofu are high in fat. I don't eat tofu very much because of that.

The whole protein debate is really a nonissue I think. The folks eating high protein are trying to push their metabolism toward acidosis which will cause some problems after a while, calcium losses in particular....I would rather eat in a way that I can be comfortable with over the long haul...its sustainable. Also, one of the benefits of eating less protein is that you don't utilize as much calcium for metabolic processes compared to someone eating high protein. Anyone thinking about osteoporosis concerns should also think about how much excess protein is being consumed.

I think one of the best authors to read on the protein discussion is Dr. McDougall. See his book "the starch solution" for most recent info. He argues that the protein standards currently being promoted are too high....and folks can get by on lower levels just fine. He is an outspoken proponent of veganism. I hope you enjoy his info...there is also a website with lots of info too...just google him.

There are some vegan body builders around, but they generally report less/slower muscle mass building than traditional meat-eater body builders. I think their macro balance is described as something like 60-30-10 or 50-30-20 (carb-protein-fat)...so they write that they are getting 30 percent protein...but usually by using powders and things I would never eat (just personal preference).

I hope that gives you some ideas to pursue....feel free to add me a s a friend if you are interested.

Deborah
  • deb3690
    deb3690 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    ONE MORE THING>>>>>

Forks Over Knives is a great film

"VEGUCATED" is also a terrific film and if I wanted to explain to my family or close friends why I am this way...that's the film I would pick for them to watch....I'm also a gardener so the film "FARMAGEDDON" also has a lot of relevance....all on Netflix too.