Body Image self test

Options
lacroyx
lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
From a thread in the main forums. I know some of you don't venture out there so I figured I would share here with Single Peeps.
I was surprised with what I scored. I do admit, my body image is affecting my dating life, or in this case lack of.

"You have scored 19 points.

SCORE 10-20
You live comfortably in your body - most of the time. However, your body image and, therefore, your self-confidence can from time to time be a little shaky and there is a risk that certain situations could make you anxious on account of the way you feel about your body, size, shape or appearance. There are several aspects to this that you may need to work on in order to reduce this anxiety and make your life more comfortable.

Test link

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/interactive/interactivetests/body_image.php

Replies

• LGrill27
    LGrill27 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You have scored 43 points.

SCORE 40+
    You are suffering from a condition called body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) which is translated as body hatred.

I don't think I have a hatred towards my body, I think my lack of (non existing) dating is a social issue.
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    You have scored 57 points.

SCORE 40+
    You are suffering from a condition called body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) which is translated as body hatred. This is not a reflection of how you actually look or how other people see you, because there are very many people who have physical handicap, or, who look different from the norm. But they do not feel this badly about themselves. Similarly there are people who look very normal in reality but they experience this sense of deep hostility toward the way they look. BDD and a damaged sense of self-esteem go hand in hand.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I got 13 points. I consider this a lot better than even a few months ago. It's a work in progress, but I'm happier now than ever before! (even at my lowest weight)
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I scored a 12 ... apperantly I need help lol
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    This definitely wasn't an overnight feeling, but through the help of friends, family (and even an ex-boyfriend). I agree with all of the below, though.

You have scored 7 points.

SCORE 0-10

Congratulations! You have a good body image and an excellent self-esteem. As a result of this, you are at peace with yourself.

The way you feel about your body has little impact on how you go about your daily life. This is how it should be. Perhaps you are aware of the pressures on people to be a certain shape or size. You see it all around you. Pressures to go on diets, or pressures to go to the gym and achieve a toned-up body. Pressures to look younger than you really are.

You probably feel, correctly, that other things are important in determining how you are to feel about yourself. Be aware however, that people around you may not share similar feelings of self-acceptance. If anything, you will need to guard against being insensitive about how other people feel about the way they think they look, because a healthy body concept has very little to do with the reality of personal appearance, it is more a reflection of how they feel about themselves inside.

In today’s image-conscious society, many people, no matter how successful or attractive they are, have distorted feelings about their size, shape, and appearance which affect their ability to lead a normal life. Take care, therefore, not to tease or make unguarded comments that might hurt the people you care for. And continue to enjoy your life without letting body feelings get in the way.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I scored a 15. I think this is a lot better then where I was 3 years ago.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I scored a 4, do I win?
  • Daisy_Cutter_
    Daisy_Cutter_ Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, I got a 32. Probably not so good. LOL
  • fp64
    fp64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    ou have scored 56 points.

SCORE 40+
    You are suffering from a condition called body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) which is translated as body hatred. This is not a reflection of how you actually look or how other people see you, because there are very many people who have physical handicap, or, who look different from the norm. But they do not feel this badly about themselves. Similarly there are people who look very normal in reality but they experience this sense of deep hostility toward the way they look. BDD and a damaged sense of self-esteem go hand in hand.
  • fullofwhimsy
    Options
    You have scored 28 points.

SCORE 20-30

A score at this level indicates that you lack confidence in your appearance and your self-confidence is shaky. You may not be aware of just how much your feelings about your body are stopping you from being spontaneous in life and doing many of the everyday things that people with a sound body image take for granted. This is bound to be affecting your contentment with life. But this probably has nothing to do with the way you actually look. There is an internal standard within you that you feel you fall short of and this is affecting the quality of your life more than you may realise. Yours is a life beset by limitations.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I got the 40+ score too. For me, a lot of my issues about my weight go hand in hand/are increased when I think of dating . Most times if I see a girl my age with a boyfriend it makes me upset with myself and my weight. being in social situatons with attractive people too. My friends all have my same body type so that's not a big deal, it's more going out to bars, etc.

But I don't think of it when I watch TV, go to work, etc,
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You have scored 26 points.

SCORE 20-30

A score at this level indicates that you lack confidence in your appearance and your self-confidence is shaky. You may not be aware of just how much your feelings about your body are stopping you from being spontaneous in life and doing many of the everyday things that people with a sound body image take for granted. This is bound to be affecting your contentment with life. But this probably has nothing to do with the way you actually look. There is an internal standard within you that you feel you fall short of and this is affecting the quality of your life more than you may realise. Yours is a life beset by limitations.

I actually think mine could be higher. I know I hate the thought of shopping for and wearing a swimsuit in public. I also cringe at the thought of what a man is going to think when he sees me naked. :( It's hard as hell being back in the dating scene at my age much less at my age after having lost a huge amount of weight and having the saggy skin that goes along with that weight loss.
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You have scored 11 points.

SCORE 10-20
    You live comfortably in your body - most of the time. However, your body image and, therefore, your self-confidence can from time to time be a little shaky and there is a risk that certain situations could make you anxious on account of the way you feel about your body, size, shape or appearance. There are several aspects to this that you may need to work on in order to reduce this anxiety and make your life more comfortable.

Hmmmm. I never have any self confidence issues. This test is bogus!
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I scored a 29.
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I scored 69- an no I'm not joking.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I scored a 32... which I actually think is too low, because some of the questions I could respond 'never' to because I never participate in those activities/situations. However... I already knew my self-image was busted, so this is old news.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I looked at a few of the comments on the main thread and someone made a point to which I can relate. 170 pounds ago I didn't think I looked that bad. I knew I was overweight but appearance-wise, I thought 30 or 40 pounds and I'll look a whole lot better. No problem and I rarely lacked confidence in my appearance.

Now, I am certain I look a lot better but I just don't trust my judgement and I don't trust the people around me to be honest with me. When I look in the mirror and like what I see a little voice creeps in and says "you liked what you saw before too." When others tell me, "you're looking great. keep it up" I think, these people were saying that when I lost 15 pounds. I sure as hell didn't look great after a 15-pound loss. You see people post significant losses in the Success Stories forum. The people look a lot better but often times still look far from great and then you see the replies. You can't believe the responses on here either.
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You have scored 29 points.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me. On a side note, I also took the 'Self Esteem' quiz that I saw after taking this test. It was right on sadly enough.

SCORE 20-30

A score at this level indicates that you lack confidence in your appearance and your self-confidence is shaky. You may not be aware of just how much your feelings about your body are stopping you from being spontaneous in life and doing many of the everyday things that people with a sound body image take for granted. This is bound to be affecting your contentment with life. But this probably has nothing to do with the way you actually look. There is an internal standard within you that you feel you fall short of and this is affecting the quality of your life more than you may realize. Yours is a life beset by limitations.
  • fullofwhimsy
    Options
    SCORE 20-30

A score at this level indicates that you lack confidence in your appearance and your self-confidence is shaky. You may not be aware of just how much your feelings about your body are stopping you from being spontaneous in life and doing many of the everyday things that people with a sound body image take for granted. This is bound to be affecting your contentment with life. But this probably has nothing to do with the way you actually look. There is an internal standard within you that you feel you fall short of and this is affecting the quality of your life more than you may realize. Yours is a life beset by limitations.

As mentioned, my score was 28. However, I don't actually agree with the statement that it probably has nothing to do with the way I actually look. My quality of life IS affected by weight and I do have limitations. Nothing wrong with admitting that, knowing it and working to change it. I'd worry more if I got a score that said I was super confident..because I'd either be lying or delusional.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I looked at a few of the comments on the main thread and someone made a point to which I can relate. 170 pounds ago I didn't think I looked that bad. I knew I was overweight but appearance-wise, I thought 30 or 40 pounds and I'll look a whole lot better. No problem and I rarely lacked confidence in my appearance.

Now, I am certain I look a lot better but I just don't trust my judgement and I don't trust the people around me to be honest with me. When I look in the mirror and like what I see a little voice creeps in and says "you liked what you saw before too." When others tell me, "you're looking great. keep it up" I think, these people were saying that when I lost 15 pounds. I sure as hell didn't look great after a 15-pound loss. You see people post significant losses in the Success Stories forum. The people look a lot better but often times still look far from great and then you see the replies. You can't believe the responses on here either.

Nobody on a public forum is going to say "well you don't look that good." I would take everything said about me in a success thread with a grain of salt, if I did a post like that. But judging by how many personal comments I got from various people,
    I knew I was looking better.

Eventually you have to accept yourself for who you are and can't rely on others to satisfy that feeling of acceptance or worth or whatnot. You are in control of your weight and your body image. There is no magic genie to say "well I think that's it, this is your final weight." You decide when you are good enough.