What's your postpartum plan?

Options
ehg87
ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
I am SOO ready to get back into a normal workout routine!! I was doing so great before I got pregnant and had such great intentions when I got pregnant, then the nausea set in....I really let that throw me off track both diet wise and exercise. I'm down to just walking, although my diet isn't so bad at this point. I've gained 27lbs so far with 8 weeks to go!!! Anyone else trying to get an exercise plan together for postpartum? (All of this is hypothetically based on the fact that I hope to have a 3rd uncomplicated vaginal delivery) I think I'm planning on just walking during the first 6 weeks, and then after I get cleared at my postpartum appt I'm considering Tracy Anderson Postpartum workout & then either Tracy's Metamorphosis OR Jillian's Body Revolution...Anyone tried any of those mentioned? Or have any success with some others I haven't mentioned?

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I know what you mean! I plan to use the Roadmap: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013 No more 1200 calorie days for me! (Well, obviously not if breastfeeding is successful, but you know what I mean :wink: )

As far as exercise, I plan on going back to running (I might have to start C25K over, which is fine) and Spinning (my current pass is on hold since I had to quit due to bleeding from a friable cervix way back in week 13 or 14). Otherwise, I'd like to incorporate weight training/lifting. I'm not quite sure how to go about doing that, since I don't have a gym membership (I Spin at a Spinning studio, not a regular gym - there are many, many reasons why I won't Spin at the gym instead), but I will figure it out.

Two of my cousins have done Insanity and have told me how awesome it is, so I'm considering that, too!

The first six weeks, though, will be just walking.

Edited for clarity
  • laurab1217
    laurab1217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this for a while too! I'm thinking I'll just walk and do some light toning exercises during the first 6 weeks (assuming there are no complications)....then when the doctor clears me, I will ease back into running, probably by mixing walking and jogging for a couple weeks and increasing to running as my body allows. I'll probably do that about every other day and on the days I'm not building up to my running I will do videos (when baby is napping!). I am thinking some of the Billy Blanks videos, yoga booty ballet, a cycle of 30 day shred, and eventually some insanity workouts.
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm having a repeat c-section, so post-partum exercise will take a little while to get cleared for, sadly! As soon as I'm permitted, I want to get back into running. Also, my husband and I are going to start Stronglifts 5x5 once we see a sale and purchase the weights (well, and after I'm cleared for lifting as well, obviously). RBXChas, I'm glad you'll be eating more calories! I'm a big fan of fueling your body - prior to getting pregnant, I was losing weight/inches at 1900+ cals per day. Feel free to ask if you have any questions! Since I plan to breastfeed and will have to add more calories per day to account for that anyway, I'm going to try for an extended bulk cycle with the lifting, which means I'll be eating a HUGE amount of calories for a while. Once I start dialing back on feedings (when the baby starts eating more and more solids), I'll start the cutting cycle. That's the plan, anyway! We'll see how execution of said plan goes.
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Love this topic!

I also will probably start with Tracey Anderson's postpartum DVD- I am loving her pregnancy ones!
    I had started training for my first half marathon shortly before finding out our exciting news so I really hope to take a rain check and maybe do it in the spring! Runner's World just had a feature on jogging strollers and the Joovy one looks interesting- it's well reviewed and half the price of a BOB.

Food wise, I will probably do the TDEE/road map thing as well- I started that also right before I got pregnant.
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm also having a c section, so its just walking from 3 weeks until about 4 months post op.
    I'm hoping to breastfeed and everyone says that works wonders for losing weight and shrinking your tummy?
    I was on Dukan diet before so I will do Dukan again from about 3 months after birth.
    I'm still doing Jillians ripped in 30, I just don't go too deep into squats and nothing on my back etc. But I will do her programs again once I've got the all clear from my doc!
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I am hoping for a VBAC and it would be nice to get back to activity quicker than I could have last time. I plan to do something similar to the Roadmap and will likely take a 10-15% cut from TDEE, plus I will eat my breastfeeding calories.

Breastfeeding did not melt the weight off for me with my daughter. Sadly, that was my only weight loss strategy last time, so I was obviously eating a LOT. I think it can help a lot if you are moving and monitoring your intake. I also think it is very important to eat enough, which a lot of people do not do when "dieting".

I also plan to do C25K. I had to switch to the elliptical recently because of my back and will need to slowly get back into running. I also plan on doing Jillian Michael's Body Revolution since I already have it and it is only 35 minutes per day. I remember how little time (and sleep) you have with a new baby!

Sounds like everyone here has a pretty solid plan though!
  • luzmidd
    luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Rubyann125, how long after c section did you start exercising if I may ask? Its my first and I want to know what a realistic time frame is? :-)
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on just listening to my body and start the 30 day shred as soon as I can :) I hope this labor will go normally like my other three (natural, leave hospital right after, lol). I think just tracking my food in MFP will be most helpful for me. I always gained most when breastfeeding for some reason, I get uncontrollable hunger and thirst when I BF, along with dizziness and near fainting if I don't eat something. But with MFP I'm sure I can make some better choices when those cravings hit this time.
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    Rubyann125, how long after c section did you start exercising if I may ask? Its my first and I want to know what a realistic time frame is? :-)

It has been a few years, but I remember not feeling up to much until I came back to work. That was three months after the birth. I started with the elliptical, but had to stop for another month or so because I developed a "hole" in my incision. That took a couple more weeks to heal. I had a great surgery and a mostly uneventful recovery, but it did take much longer than I expected to feel like myself again. I was able to take short walks within the first few weeks though.
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    @Rubyann- so how do you like Body Revolution? I don't have it yet, but plan on getting it postpartum since it is only 35min a day. DId you see good results with it?

Wow, so many runners! I've tried it, and wish I loved it due to it being such great all over exercise. BUT wow I am so not a runner :) I have terrible form that I don't even know how to go about fixing. And I never got over feeling like I was dying even after running for less than a minute! My husband who ran track in high school just laughs, and says he's never seen anyone "run" like I do, and that he's not sure how to give helpful suggestions, lol. Oh well I guess there's something for everyone!! Kudos to all of you though! Some really impressive plans.
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    @Rubyann- so how do you like Body Revolution? I don't have it yet, but plan on getting it postpartum since it is only 35min a day. DId you see good results with it?

LOVED it!! It was my gateway into heavy lifting and really improved my strength. I went from doing 2 pushups to being able to do up to 35 military style pushups. I also took pictures each month and saw noticable differences. I highly recommend it!
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Weighing in with my experience also....I started running (had never run before in my LIFE) 3 months after delivering twins via c-section (they were my 2nd c-section) and completed a half-marathon when they were 6 months old. I think the most important thing to do after surgery is to let yourself heal in the first couple weeks. Obviously it takes a while to completely heal, but if you try too much too soon, it just comes back to bite you (experienced that a little with my first child/c-section). I'm a do-it-myself type of person, so it's really difficult to step aside and ask someone else to do stuff that I think should be fne for me to do....but in the long run, the recovery is so much faster if you are strict with yourself and giving yoursef rest/healing time.
  • kmburns3
    kmburns3 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I also plan on walking for the first 6 weeks. After that I plan on C25k and NROLFW on alternating days with 1 rest day a week. Both of those are fairly short programs that I think I can complete while baby is napping. Calories all depend on if breastfeeding is successful or not, I'm hoping it is as this in my first child.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I am hoping that I will be able to stick with a plan similar to my last baby (uncomplicated home delivery). I stayed mostly off my feet for the first week, then just some *easy* walking or stretching until my bleeding stopped completely. After that I eased back into a normal routine. This time around I hope to have time to train for a half-marathon in October (I'm due in June). After the running season is over I may do p90x again to regain muscle tone.
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    With my son, I started jogging 5 weeks after I had him and then added push ups and sit ups around 2 months postpartum. Then I got a trainer around 5 months to help with weights and calisthenics since I had to pass my physical fitness test. I only noticed a difference in my weight as a result of eating though, but the working out definitely did help me tone and get back into better shape! I'll probably do Couch to 5K and some weights/calisthenic type videos...maybe join a running group this time. Who knows!